Respect the TOE

acvox24

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
For all of you guys with transits with that feature that lets you know many miles until your empty, and your wondering how much further you can go once it hits zero. I only got 12 miles past it with a 400 lb load and I was out of gas. It's my strong opinion that ford has some kinda of sensor that kills the engine once it get so low. I have a lot of experience running out of gas as a teen. There was no spurting or anything the engine just turn off. Threw it in neutral tried to start it back up, nothing. After walking half a mile with a gas can. I was totally expecting to have to crank away to get it started. Nope, fired right up immediately like always. No way the fuel lines were dry.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Why run it out of gas? Why not fill when it's around 1/4? It may not be harmful to run out of gas but that's definitely debatable. It isn't beneficial for it to run out though and nobody can legitimately argue that. I know a lot of guys do the same thing but it's kind of like jumping off the roof because others did it without breaking their leg. At least it's only a long walk wasting a bunch of time and no broken bones.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
it might be a protection device....running out of fuel can damage fuel injectors..burn them out...to run out of fuel especially under load is just plain...well you know...
Personally...I'd terminate your contract....just the way I roll....

Reactions: ntimevan

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
when i was learning to drive my dad, who had a degree in auto eng, said if you run out of gas i'm going to bring you any gas, he said never let it get below 1/2 of a tank, you never know when you will need that extra 1/2 of tank
should take a break ever so often to, don't hold up on pit stop's as they can lead to problem's if you do it to much
i learned to drive in upstate new york and they rolled up street's at 1800 and there was nothing open , back then like there is to day

Reactions: robin280

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a lot of experience running out of gas as a teen.
And with all that experience, you never learned the role gasoline plays in the internal combustion engine?

Or realizing gas is the only thing that keeps the expensive fuel pump in the tank cool?

And as soon as you put gas in the tank and hit the key it takes literally a second for that pump to fill up your "dry lines" and allow fuel injection to take place and the engine to run.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So let me see if I understand this correctly ...
You were hired to transport time sensitive freight. Something that someone, somewhere might have needed pretty badly. So badly that they were willing to pay a premium for transport. You have technology in your van that tells you when you will run out of fuel. For whatever reason, you decide to disregard it. You run out of fuel .. must have caught you by surprise. And on top of that you had the good sense to have a gas can that was bone dry.
I agree with OVM ... grounds for termination ..

Reactions: ntimevan

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
it might be a protection device....running out of fuel can damage fuel injectors..burn them out...to run out of fuel especially under load is just plain...well you know...
Personally...I'd terminate your contract....just the way I roll....

At the very least, turn in your man card!

Lost in Space.

Reactions: JCH and ntimevan

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I ran out of gas once in my newbie days, maybe ten years ago in a cargo van. Decided to put off fueling till next stop because of the price. Then couldn't find anyone open. Late Sunday, middle of nowhere. Luckily made it about a 1/4 mile from a open station when it died. That is something that can not, and will not, ever happen again. And fuel stops since then, are always pre-planed

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I passed my wife on the interstate once. She ran out of gas. She got a ride with a co-worker. Gas station at every exit and just about every corner there is no reason to ever run out of gas. Ne-ver.

After I got to work, got some gas and took her car to her. So, not all heartless.

acvox24

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Holy cow, I had no idea curiosity was such an anathema. I guess by nature I've always been one to push the envelope. Didn't bother me to have to walk to the gas station. Seeing how upset everybody got and people jumping to conclusions, I'm glad I never shared some of my adventures I had as a teen with you. People on here would be having heart attacks. So I'm sorry, I'm so sorry for offending everybody's moral sensibilities so greatly. I'll try harder next time to stick to the bromidic rules of conversation, so I'll be accepted into the EO clique.