Renewing hazmat endorsement...

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Question for those who's company doesn't haul hazmat, or it's optional. When you renew your cdl, are you going to keep the hazmat endorsement? And your reason for doing what you plan/did.

I renewed mine today, and dropped hazmat as my company doesn't haul it. When I was on with companies that haul it, I maybe picked up only 3 hazardous loads a year. Also, my long range plans don't have hazmat in them.

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi

I have to renew HM to keep CDL.It,s a van thing.My only other choice would be to rent a larger vehicle and completely retest.Hopefully my company sees the light and changes their rules.Legally I don't need a CDL to run a van,but the company requires it.

What kills me is Canadians and Mexicans can just use their FAST card, but if your an American you have to get investigated again.So I will get reinvestigated in 2007 to renew my license and then again in 2008 to renew my FAST card.Then if their is a back log in FAST renewals (they have a backlog now with original applications)Im not going to renew.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't renew my license until '08, but I don't plan to renew my Hazmat for the same reason as Bryan. If this is being done to satisfy the DHS, why would'nt my FAST clearance be enough? Oh yeah, we're dealing with the government.

Bryan, you don't have an A from your T/T days?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
there are companies that dont haul hazmat but require drivers to have hazmat,so they know if the freight they are picking up is hazmat not
ive had my hazmat so long wouldnt know what to do without it,just dont give me a shorter trailer,then i wont have to wait in line at the northern border
nightcreacher
ooida 263839
fed ex cc since 1984
E6613

heel4you

Expert Expediter
What percentage of hazmat is being transported in the expedited sector?
Are there companies where hazmat endorsements are optional?? If so, who are they?
Thanks,
Laura

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'll probably keep mine. I have till 2011 to decide so no biggie right now.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Laura:

Quantifying HazMat shipments per carrier is likely an impossible feat for our forum members; but, as an individual van operator I'd say, over the years, we've had well less than 5% of our total offers in the HazMat category. Those carriers that don't carry HazMat most likely don't do so because they don't have the staff necessary to ensure compliance with the myriad Federal and State regulations the govern HazMat transport

I would think that all of the larger nationwide expedite carriers require the HazMat endorsement for similar reasons that they haul freight into Canada and compete for the Government's specialized freight. Each of these categories require specialized training and performance by the carriers' workforce and they require comparable training by the drivers involved. All of this effort is designed to maximize opportunity and revenue for the carrier, thereby opportunity and revenue for the owner/operator.

We mustn't lose sight of the fact that we need the HazMat endorsement because of Government regulations foisted upon the carriers and drivers and not merely because of carrier policies. Rene' and I continue to believe that the hassle to maintain a HazMat endorsement is worth the bit of extra revenue; the hassle of maintaining a FAST qualification and a passport are worth the extra bit of revenue; and, the hassle of getting qualified for the occasional U.S. Government related work is worth the extra revenue to our truck.

wombat4412

Seasoned Expediter
what about this one for renewing hazmat endorsemen

well ok i got a interesting question on this background i am a full permanment resident of the usa green card in hand ok but yestersday in the mail i got my background check send to me from PA DMV reading the form i see you must be a full citzen unless i read it wrong what about us on a green card live here all these years (8) going for full citzenship at the moment but it states full citzen requirments for background test nothing about permanment resident was not a problem for my fast card or coming & going into canada /usa
pj transport
(WOMBAT )
warren PA
:)