Relentlessly [and of course, anonymously] stupid

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, well, the note makes some very specific capitalization errors, to emphasis words. That, of course, means nothing. Except, in her own social media postings, she writes the same exact way, making the same odd specific capitalization errors.

The Internet can be pretty stupid and can fall for a lot of stuff, but it nailed her on this one. When the Baltimore Sun questioned her about it, she suddenly went Social Media Mute.

http://m.snopes.com/2015/06/18/relentlessly-gay/

Reactions: aquitted

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah, well, the note makes some very specific capitalization errors, to emphasis words. That, of course, means nothing. Except, in her own social media postings, she writes the same exact way, making the same odd specific capitalization errors.

The Internet can be pretty stupid and can fall for a lot of stuff, but it nailed her on this one. When the Baltimore Sun questioned her about it, she suddenly went Social Media Mute.

http://m.snopes.com/2015/06/18/relentlessly-gay/
Good work Columbo!

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The note may be bogus, but the women,by happenstance, came up with a catchy phrase that the LGBT people might embrace as their rallying cry --"Relentlessly Gay". She could take her fund money,trademark the phrase,and put the slogan on T-shirts and other items.:D

Reactions: davekc and Turtle

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hmmm, that would pay for a new van. Maybe I'll slap a rainbow on the van and get something rolling. Hey, I like rainbows too :rolleyes:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That's funny: I never even noticed the random capitalization of words - been hanging out where it's so common, it doesn't even stand out any more.
I should have checked it out on Snopes, [I usually do], because I hate dishonesty, and that's what it is. I wonder what her 4 kids think of her now?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That she's smart enough to quickly raise a snotload of money by gaming the LGBT crowd? :joyful:

Raising money by "gaming" people is smart? I think it's dishonest and immoral, and that's what I taught my kids. I bet this lady discovers lots of others don't like being lied to, either.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Raising money by "gaming" people is smart?
Incredibly so. You have to be able to know which buttons to push, and how, and be predict people's knee-jerk reactions and know their gullibility.

I think it's dishonest and immoral, and that's what I taught my kids.
I think it's dishonest and immoral, too. That doesn't mean it's not smart. They aren't mutually exclusive.

I bet this lady discovers lots of others don't like being lied to, either.
Doesn't matter. She's gamed them fully. She's poo-pooed the naysayers as nothing more than naysayers and she's forging on with what she loves most, laughter and rainbows. In her most recent note on gofundme, she's laughing, a lot. She's a single mother of four and wants some cash to whimsy up her house with rainbows and if she can get the relentlessly gay crowd to back her up, she's not gonna burst their bubble. If more rainbows can make her unidentified neighbor even angrier that's an added bonus.

Even if she comes out and says her statement wasn't even about LGBT rights (which is precisely the statement she came out and made), the LGBTers are still gonna use her for their rainbow poster girl du jour. THE ADVOCATE and others pushed her statement aside as unimportant, and powered on.

It kind of reminds me a little of something that happened a few years ago to an actress friend of mine. She and her boyfriend had been dating for several years and every time they were out in public, together or separately, they invariably asked when they were going to tie the knot. They got so sick and tired of answering the question that finally she said, "We refuse to get married until same-sex marriage is legal in America." It wasn't in support of same-sex marriage, or some statement that they didn't feel it was right for them to get married when same-sex couples couldn't. She had no strong feelings about same-sex marriage one way or the other. She wasn't against it, but wasn't an advocate of it, either. It was because she wanted to shut people up and stop asking her when she'd get married, and she figured it would be a really long time, if ever, before same-sex marriage became legal in the US. It was a way to shut people up for the long term.

She became an instant hero in the LGBT community, a veritable poster girl for marriage equality. GLAAD gave her an award. She played along. It stopped the questions about her own marriage, that's for sure. Then a couple of years later is when states started legalizing same-sex marriage, and her tune had to change to that of "until it is legal in ALL of America." A couple of years after that she dumped her boyfriend so it didn't matter any more. Then a year and a half ago she started seeing another guy, and despite same-sex marriage not being legal in ALL of America, they got engaged about 6 months ago. The LGBT community didn't take away her Honorary Gay Person Card, though, as she had done her bit for Queen and Country. (you're welcome for the inclusion of the "o") But, alas, her new fiance kind of screwed the pooch (not literally, of course) and she dumped him hard last month. That wedding is off. Done. Fini.

So, too, will this pass for Baltimore Rainbow Lady. She'll get a new roof with rainbow roofing tiles, and pocket the other $35,000 or so, and in a few weeks, if not sooner, people will have forgotten about her.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wonder if she was smart enough to set up this scam as a tax deductible organization? Otherwise state, federal and local taxes will take a cut.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The original story didn't include any info on Ms Rainbow Lady except that she's a widowed mother of four, so I took her Gofundme as a swipe at Christians, more than anything else. As someone who would have put those lights in my own garden, I didn't see it as support for the 'LGBT community', because sometimes, a rainbow is just a rainbow, ok?
IMO, being dishonest and/or immoral are not smart, because it will often come back to bite you, sooner or later. Even if it doesn't, I can't square it with what I taught my kids. I'd expect them to despise me - and I'd deserve it.