Regen problems

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Which diesel engines are most affected by this problem, and what exactly is the cause?
I had read that the problem particularly affected cummins. if true which model years are most susceptible to this problem, and what arethe remedies to avoid it.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Which diesel engines are most affected by this problem, and what exactly is the cause?
I had read that the problem particularly affected cummins. if true which model years are most susceptible to this problem, and what arethe remedies to avoid it.
The ones that run like crap are the ones with regen problems.

If the engine uses oil, or has bad injectors, or has low compression, or has had no maintenance, the engine will emit more soot. This extra fuel in the DPF will either melt it when it overheats, or it will clog so bad the engine won't run. Also, everything gets poisoned when coolant blows through it.

The trucks I work on have had their fair share of injector and regen problems, but a big design improvement in the last few years has made the system vastly more reliable. Reliable enough that I'm less familiar with it, because I haven't had to solve a single regen problem that wasn't from something obvious (like a 20/80 diesel/gasoline ratio in the fuel tank).

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Any engine with a history of EGR cooler failure is prone to regen and SCR efficiency problems. The ingredients in coolant can poison the DOC and SCR catalysts. There will be insufficient DPF heating if the DOC is poisoned, and the soot in the DPF will never completely burn off during a regen.

If the SCR gets poisoned, expect serious power derate until the problem is fixed.

Programming the ECU to punish the operator is the only way to guarantee that the truck will be repaired. This punishment is mandated by environmental law.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cummins would probably be the worst in my opinion. But if you idle these type engines a lot they'll all have problems

TheCraftyTruckers