Rear Cargo Glass.. Covering Up Options

ManicStreetSprinter

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
http://content.homenetiol.com/640x480/00683a9d3c8e43b594f8356da2d39438.jpg

So im picking up this van tomorrow.. the Transit is the only one here in Canada its a demo and i can get it for a bit cheaper, otherwise have to wait 3 months for a factory build

The cargo glass is a liability/security issue for my company somewhat

For those who have gotten vans with windows what are the best options to cover/and or secure the rear windows?

I was looking at window screens but they do not yet stock them for this van as its so new. Also i was thinking about installing plywood on the inside.. which would take drilling some holes, and putting in some brackets/screws. it would not look the best

As for the outside.. is there some kind of adhesive vinyl or something to make the windows out of sight, out of mind. Im perhaps gonna get the company to get a logo to cover up the back windows from the outside and secure them on the inside with the wood or something like this.

really would be better if i can get this van without the window but its just not possible

any further ideas ?

Attachments

• transitrear.jpg
    transitrear.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 42

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
First, I do not drive a van, but my first impression is that if you go with plywood and brackets, you could put a vinyl or cloth cover over it using screws with some sort of cover over the the screw heads.

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have side and rear glass on my sprinter for when I cooped up in the winter I can look outside.. Darkest limo tint will get it blacked out without putting a flashlight literally against the glass and a good flashlight too ... If that's not enough I also made insulating pillows that fit into the window frame ...

Sent from my flying circus ....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You can also use the silver reflective bubble pack insulation (Reflectix at Lowes). Insulates and privatizes. In my old van I just used 3M spray adhesive and glued it right to the inside of the window. Sure, it's a little white trailer trash, but it worked. But I also knew that I wasn't going to keep that van for years and years, and it wasn't a brand new shiny van.

You can get these security screens:

51T7n6dCE4L._SX300_.jpg

and then place some insulated material (or not) between them and the window for privacy, as well.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I used the Reflectix too but I attached a piece of Velcro to the top and bottom so they could be removed for better visibility when driving.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just a thought......

Covering up rear windows could be illegal:)

Vehicle & Traffic Law - Vehicle Equipment

".......(b) No person shall operate any motor vehicle upon any public highway, road or street:

(4) the rear window of which is composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent. A rear window may have a light transmittance of less than seventy percent if the vehicle is equipped with side mirrors on both sides of the vehicle so adjusted that the driver thereof shall have a clear and full view of the road and condition of traffic behind such vehicle.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can also use the silver reflective bubble pack insulation (Reflectix at Lowes). Insulates and privatizes. In my old van I just used 3M spray adhesive and glued it right to the inside of the window. Sure, it's a little white trailer trash, but it worked. But I also knew that I wasn't going to keep that van for years and years, and it wasn't a brand new shiny van.

You can get these security screens:

51T7n6dCE4L._SX300_.jpg

and then place some insulated material (or not) between them and the window for privacy, as well.

Turtle sample set up probably is best as long as the curtains are opened while the vehicle is moving.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just a thought......

Covering up rear windows could be illegal:)

Vehicle & Traffic Law - Vehicle Equipment

".......(b) No person shall operate any motor vehicle upon any public highway, road or street:

(4) the rear window of which is composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent. A rear window may have a light transmittance of less than seventy percent if the vehicle is equipped with side mirrors on both sides of the vehicle so adjusted that the driver thereof shall have a clear and full view of the road and condition of traffic behind such vehicle.

Oh boy. I have a BIG problem. I have solid-steel back there, you'd have to be Kal El to be able to see through them. Considerably less than 70% light-transparent, eh? But-- most vehicles these days come equipped with left and right outside mirrors, so I guess that gets us out of that bind.

Now-- back to subject: Several years back now I had a Ford van that had windows in the rear doors just like we're talking about. Being the cheap Scotsman that I am, I went to the hardware store, got some paneling, some angle-- I chose aluminum because it came in the size needed and is a bit easier to work-- and sheet-metal screws. I made covers to fit the windows and installed them. Ugly as home-made sin but they got the job done. A couple of lengths of 1/2" drill rod mounted across each panel for security completes the job.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you don't have two side mirrors.

Lol, I've seen a few with side mirrors hanging and swinging on the side door.

I was stopped once, the officer's reason was(that what he said) that, if the vehicle were manufactured without the rear windown then it's ok. But, if it comes with rear windows, then no materials can be placed to reduce or obstruct the driver's rear view. I swear I did have the side mirrors on that day :)

Last edited:

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I dunno. I just went by Section 4, sentence two.

I'm confuse too, lol. The side mirrors inclusion seem to override the rear windows issue. But again, I got more confuse when I saw this...

Tint Laws

But again, that's tint laws, don't know if it apply to other materials.

I still think your sample is the best solution:)

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Find out if the dealership body shop can intall some blank out panels that replace the glass altogether or order doors with the windows omited.
Security issue solved, its done right, the paint matches and you dont risk warrantee issues. If there is a problem its easy to have fixed.
Yes OEMs do make them, so don't let some lazy salesman tell you otherwise if they dont want to make it happen take your money eleswhere.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm confuse too, lol. The side mirrors inclusion seem to override the rear windows issue. But again, I got more confuse when I saw this...

Tint Laws

But again, that's tint laws, don't know if it apply to other materials.

I still think your sample is the best solution:)
Don't overthink it. In NY, for example, the tint laws require that all vehicles have no less than 70 percent light transmittance on the windshield and front side windows, excepting the top 6 inches of the windshield, which may be tinted to any darkness. Vehicles classified as station wagons, sedans, coupes, hardtops, hatchbacks or convertibles may not have back side windows of less than 70 percent light transmittance, while SUVs, vans and other vehicles may have any level of tint on the back side windows.

All New York vehicles may have any level of tint on the rear window. However, if the rear window and rear side windows are tinted to less than 70 percent, the vehicle must be equipped with functioning side mirrors and properly adjusted so that the driver can have a clear view of traffic behind it.

Most states read the same way, that no tinting on the windshield below the AS1 line (or 4-6 inches), and whatever state allows for the front side windows. Side windows behind the driver can generally be tinted darker, even blacked out. And the rear window can be completely blacked out, provided yu have two side mirrors.

If you want to tint your side windows (one of the best things I've spent money on) then any professional window tinting place in your state will know exactly how dark (and reflective) the tint can be.

Here's Kentucky's laws on the matter. When you start reading, you can freak out about the rear window, until you finally get to #5.
Kentucky Window Tint Law

ManicStreetSprinter

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since this a brand new van it will be hard to get the blank out panels.. apparently cant get them through Ford as hard as it is to believe Contacted some body shops like Maaco theyre gonna look at it tomorrow and see what can be done and what price. Also there is no doors to swap out .. and that would be the most expensive i bet the window cages are 150$ and outside van wrap decalling can prob be fit to size to hide the fact there even a window ill post the pic of the final outcome :)

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
When I got my van the rear windows were blocked out using a cut up cardboard box fitted into the windows and kept using silver duct tape. I'm the third owner of van since 2006. The covers are still intact! Try using some cardboard?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have side and rear glass on my sprinter for when I cooped up in the winter I can look outside.. Darkest limo tint will get it blacked out without putting a flashlight literally against the glass and a good flashlight too ... If that's not enough I also made insulating pillows that fit into the window frame ...

Sent from my flying circus ....

What Ekhedge said. I've got a Chevy with much smaller windows than the Transit. I used dark limo tint on the glass. I then cut two pieces of 1" styrofoam board and glued reflectix to the side facing the glass. My windows are hinged so the styrofoam boards are held by small bungee cords that allow me to remove them easily. For security you could cut plywood to hold the styrofoam and use some small screws to secure it to the door.

The large windows on the Transit may be a challenge for the do-it-yourself person. Handling the tint film gets tricky. You could check around for a place that does tinting. Ziebart does it. A cheaper method would be to paint the inside of the windows and then insulate and cover with plywood.