Random Drug Screen

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Unless we are already sitting right there at The Yard, there is no fathomable, comprehensible reason to require us to report to Safety in order to be informed that we have been selected for a Random and then to be told where to go to have the testing done.

I delivered a load at the crack of dawn Thursday morning to the Warren Truck Assembly plant and then went about 3 miles north of there, near the GM Technical Center, to park and go to sleep. Later that day, at 14:12, I get a call from dispatch not about a load, but informing me that I need to report to Mork (not her real name) in Safety to pick up some paperwork she has for me.

Sounds important, otherwise dispatch wouldn't be calling me about it. No time frame was given, so I had to assume it meant that day, ASAP, now. I mean, I have a really good idea what such a ridiculous call from Dispatch really means, because, you know, I'm not stupid, but still somewhere in the back of my mind I keep telling myself this couldn't really be for a Random, because no one would so blatantly telegraph such an action. So, this must be, really and truly, to pick up some important and critical paperwork that I needed to have.

So, I get myself good and awake, get dressed and get moving. I start off on the 40 mile trek down to The Yard, through all the construction and insane stop and go traffic that was mostly stop and not a lot of go. An hour and 50 minutes later I finally arrive at The Yard and go into the Safety building. First thing I did was sign off on the cell phone and seat belt policy, and then picked up the all-important seat belt cover that will protect me from getting run over by a fork lift. I then report to Mork (still not her real name) and state that I was informed by Dispatch that I need to pick up some paperwork.

A few minutes go by, click, click, click, printer spits out a piece of paper, and she tells me in surprise, surprise, surprise Gomer Pyle fashion that I have been selected for a Random Drug Test and that I need to take this piece of paper over to the testing location. I politely but firmly and purposefully inform her not to ever again enlist Dispatch to call me up and lie to me. Now, she's still new, so I don't want to go off on her too badly, so I go off on her supervisor, politely but just as firmly.

Her supervisor tells me that "picking up paperwork" isn't technically a lie, because I do in fact have to pick up paperwork. Two problems with that. One, a lie of omission is still a lie, the primary purpose of me being summoned was not to pick up paperwork, but to present myself to be informed of the Random. Two, no, I don't actually have to pick up that paperwork at all. I don 't even need to see it. The only reason that I would be required to pick up that paperwork is if the Safety Department does not have a FAX machine or if no one in Safety knows how to operate one. If that is the case, I will, at my own expense, provide the department with a FAX machine, and I will donate as many as two days of my time showing everyone in that building how to operate it.

I was told they need to enlist Dispatch to aid them in their ruse because Dispatch knows about timing and location. Well, the only things that matter with timing is whether someone is in or out of service, and to a lesser but practical extent, whether or not someone is dispatched on a load. Nothing else matters. The only thing that matters about location is whether they are within a reasonable distance of a testing facility.

I understand that you don't want to give anyone advanced notice about being selected for a Random, therefor the invention of the ruse, but having dispatch call someone up with some BS about paperwork is, in effect, giving advance notice. Dispatch isn't allowed to tell us why they're really calling, because all they have is The List of people who have been selected, but they (allegedly) aren't told what The List is for, and apparently someone thinks they are far too stupid to be able to figure it out. That, or Dispatch knows precisely what The List is and are instructed to withhold information about it over the phone in order to carry out the cleverly designed ruse. Employers are required, "by law" as was pointed out to me, to keep testing in strict confidence and to limit the number of people having knowledge of the selection list. I suppose everyone in Dispatch having The List could be considered as "limited," but I have to wonder what the relative comparison might be.

I was told we can't be informed over the phone that we have been selected, thus the "paperwork" ruse. That makes no sense what.so.ever because it's not true. With my previous carrier, every Random I ever had was communicated to me over the phone, so I know that we can, in fact, be informed over the phone of a Random. Plus, even with Load One, last fall I had to get my DOT physical while I was in Laredo, and I found a place down there to get it done. It's a place the police uses for their physicals and randoms and other things. I e-mailed the resulting paperwork into Safety and then I was asked where I got it done. The next day, as if by magic, I got a phone call informing me that I had been randomly selected for a Random, and lo and behold I was to report immediately to the same facility that had just given me the physical. I'll set aside for the moment the "randomness" of that Random, and just say that I didn't have to first drive up to The Yard to be informed of the Random, or pick up paperwork or anything like that.

At the end of our conversation he agreed that I shouldn't have been summoned to The Yard all the way from Warren, but I got the distinct impression that he also didn't think I should have simply been tested in Warren and that they should have waited until I was at The yard or at least closer to The Yard. And that's precisely why I don't hang out at The Yard very often and it's why when I drop off paperwork to Admin it's usually in the middle of the night or on the weekends - because the randomness of always or nearly always being at The Yard when you get called for a Random isn't random at all, regardless of how the names are actually chosen. I've been parked at The Yard during the day during the week five times. Two of those times I've been randomly selected for a Random. What are the chances of that happening? Well, it's 40 percent, exactly.

So, after I said my piece I left the Safety building, along with my all-important and highly critical paperwork, and proceeded immediately to the testing facility to which I was directed. I emptied my pockets, removed my cap, and dutifully peed in a cup up the prescribed line. I then waited while they prepared the paperwork I was to take back to Safety. I went back to The Yard and dropped the envelope into the Black Box.

Time from the "paperwork" phone call to the Black Box: 4 hours, 14 minutes

40 miles to The Yard, 10 miles each way to the Woodhaven testing facility. That's a lot of miles, expense, aggravation, and time (time unavailable for a load), especially when you consider that where I was parked in Warren, I could see out of my windshield, in direct line of sight, a Concentra testing facility less than a block away, and that I was within about 8 miles of the facility where the test specimen actually gets sent. What took more than 4 hours to complete should have taken, well, a lot less.

Someone in Safety, not Dispatch, picks up the phone and says, "You have been selected for a Random Drug Screen. Go to such and such address. You need to proceed immediately to the testing facility. Do not shower, eat or do anything else that doesn't lead to an immediate specimen collection. Call me when you arrive, then call me when you're done so that I can put you back in-service." Easy peasy, no fuss no muss, honest and direct, expedient.

It's certainly preferable to enlisting Dispatch to lie to and play games with drivers, I can tell you that. I don't know that those are the kinds of actions and attitudes we want to promote and endorse as normal and necessary.

SWTexas1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've also noticed the yard drug test, don't ever walk in to safety on a Thursday morning. ( in my case twice, walked in a got a good morning and can you go take of this? ) I understand that it needs to be done , and at least here we don't have to pay for them. ( like I had to at former carrier)

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
I understand the need for the random test. However when they put you oos for the random and you loose your spot I feel is unfair. I've had drivers sit in the yard 2 days climbing to the top of the board only to get a random and dropped back to the bottom and sit another 2 days.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I understand the need for the random test. However when they put you oos for the random and you loose your spot I feel is unfair. I've had drivers sit in the yard 2 days climbing to the top of the board only to get a random and dropped back to the bottom and sit another 2 days.
I don't know if there is or not, but there certainly should be a temporary or "Safety Hold" for an OOS situation such as that, and then when you come off that you haven't lost any dwell time or anything. It shouldn't change your LL or LA at all. Seems like they should be able to do the same thing with that as they do when they put you on hold while booking a possible load, then take you off when they don't get the load.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't know if there is or not, but there certainly should be a temporary or "Safety Hold" for an OOS situation such as that, and then when you come off that you haven't lost any dwell time or anything. It shouldn't change your LL or LA at all. Seems like they should be able to do the same thing with that as they do when they put you on hold while booking a possible load, then take you off when they don't get the load.

Why not just show driver under planned on hold and put random in the notes?

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
All true and all agreed. Last two randoms, one while at the yard and got a call for a very nice load while on the way. The other while at home oos at 7:15 am which is 6:15 am where I live and the facility did not open till 9:00 am my home time. We had been out late the nite before but the wife drug herself out of bed and went.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
They could create a "Safety Hold" that allows Safety to put people temporarily OOS for Safety reasons, and no one in Dispatch or anywhere else would know the reason. The reasons could be for any number of Safety related issues, not just for Randoms. It could be the driver's license or DOT physical or plate registration has expired and Safety doesn't have the updated paperwork, it could be because the driver is late turning in their fuel receipts or logs (hint, hint), all kinds of reasons.

Last edited:

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
You made some very good points and I'm sure things will be implemented to change the way things are done.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
when did they change this? I've had 3 or 4, but it's always been Laura calling me.

Dale

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The only time I got a call from Laura was the Laredo thing. Other than that is been a dispatcher every time.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
At a previous carrier, dispatch (we had dedicated dispatch) called while I was still on a load and told me I was selected for a random. After delivery I was to directly report to a testing facility that they directed me to. At the testing clinic all I did was sign in and pee. Billing and reporting was automatic between the clinic and carrier. I notified my dispatcher that I was finished at the clinic, and I was directed to my next load.

eb

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I will review with the team next week our policy and how we handle this and see if it is something we need or want to change.

divadriver01

Expert Expediter
One thing to remember, we are as independent contractors, not employees. Therefore, we should be told up front that it is a random because I too was told that I needed to "see" Laura in safety and when I asked why I wasn't told and I almost didn't go because I thought it could wait until later. I don't think any of us would risk losing our cdl by not reporting for a random. How can anyone possibly get drugs out of his/her system within a few hour's time?

Sent from my SCH-S968C using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:

divadriver01

Expert Expediter
All true and all agreed. Last two randoms, one while at the yard and got a call for a very nice load while on the way. The other while at home oos at 7:15 am which is 6:15 am where I live and the facility did not open till 9:00 am my home time. We had been out late the nite before but the wife drug herself out of bed and went.

How can they call you at home for a random while you are oos? What if you had been drinking that night and you were still intoxicated? Now they want you to get into your commercial vehichle and drive to a random. This does not sound right.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using EO Forums mobile app

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
No update?
Like Turtle, I've been called for a random [several times] by previous carriers, given an address, and told to report for a drug screen within one hour. Paperwork was faxed between carrier & clinic and back again, no problem.
It's a necessary evil, but making it worse by requiring an appearance in person at the Yard, [thus extending the time required], and losing one's place in line is completely unnecessary.
Plus, as one driver noted, the vague reason given: "important paperwork" might not seem important enough to get there immediately, to some drivers. They might think tomorrow morning is soon enough....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Last year I got a call to run by Safety the next time I got a chance. I was in Woodhaven when I got the call, just after a delivery. I said OK, and went to bed. Several hours later I got a load, and ran it. A few days later I got an angry call from The Explorer wanting to know why I hadn't come by Safety, and the answer was of course that I didn't have a chance yet. A few weeks later I did, and you'll never guess what it was for.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
A couple weeks ago I was in the yard all day... started out something like ten out of ten. I did not get a run that day but the next morning I woke up and was happy to see I was 2 out of 15ish. I was anxiously waiting for call from dispatch, which I got, but it was for a drug test!!! Someone must have thought I was out in the yard the whole day before and all night smoking pot or something... They SHOULD have had me do the random the day before when I was way down the totem pole, NOT the next day when I was poised for the next run!!! I've been told this has been addressed and should not happen again.

Then I heard later it was actually OVM that demanded I take a drug test after I published my Promaster fuel mileage!!!!

Give a guy a break!!! ;)

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Now with our rating restored I will have safety evaluate and look at this process next week.

Last edited: