Racism, Really

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So I am racist....But not as much as my parents and she not as much as her parents...and I hope my children are less then me....here is hoping we can get it out of the bloodline in future generations...you just can not turn it off...it will take many more to come I believe...
Everybody is a little bit racist, and you're right, it will take many more generations for that to be turned off. It's not really that everyone is a little bit racist to a point where everyone is a little bit actively discriminatory, since the concept of "race" is a social construct to begin with. It's really more of a "groupism" thing. Or, more accurately, a "tribalism" thing.

Humans are inherently tribal. We are biased towards people we feel are like us and against outsiders. What constitutes an outsider differs from person to person. It often coincides at least partly with race, because "looks different from me" is such a clear sign. But for an individual person, race might not matter as much as other things.

Research on the unconscious evaluations that people make instantaneously about others based on race - known as "implicit bias" - has been well established for decades. But at a more fundamental level, this implicit bias applies to groups in general (pick any distinct group - race, religion, cultural, economic class, fans of sports teams, etc.). Poor whites and poor blacks have much more in common with each other than they do with rich people of any color. Integrated sports teams, where jersey color can trump skin color (just watch a brawl between one racially integrated sports team and another) is a good example. And as this most recent presidential election with regard to the voting patterns of Electoral vote versus the Popular vote makes crystal clear, a white New Yorker, for example. will have more in common with and feel more comfortable around black New Yorkers than white rural people. That's still tribalism, still groupism, it just happens not to be based on skin color. Race is simply a subset of groupism/tribalsim.

Black liberals refer to Steve Harvey, Kanye West, even MLK III, as "sellouts" and "house niggahs" because they met with Trump.

So when people make near-instantaneous judgments (implicit bias) about others based on skin color or some other groupism thing, that doesn't in and of itself make them bad people for doing so. It's what they do with that implicit bias, how they react to it that matters. When police instantly assume you're up to no good based on your skin color, that's a problem. When you refuse to serve someone in a restaurant, or rent them an apartment or sell them a house,based on skin color or some other subset of groupism, that's a problem. When black liberals refer to Steve Harvey, Kanye West, even MLK III, as "sellouts" and "house niggahs" because they met with Trump, that's a problem.

Reactions: davekc

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You sure are correct on the tribal part of the study I was brought up in a monarchy family you know God save the queen racist bigotry against color religion and Americans

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Amazing how many whites and African Americans thought Trump was awesome in handling minorities during the whole tenure of Celebrity Apprentice and time prior. Runs as a Republican and he is suddenly the president of the Klan. Amazing.

Reactions: RoadTime

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
A friend of mine up in Canada from Romania when I asked about the size of his nose...he blamed the Romans, 2500 yrs ago when Rome invaded their land they killed all the men and raped all the women ... all they left behind was the nose for future generations..,lol

You just can't change history to your liking...
It's only been what 4 generations since slavery....

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
I'm not a rasist by most standards
But there are groups and organizations that I totally disagree with because they only cover one race instead of the hole problem
But how to make things right is above me

JCH

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Turtle you've described racism as tribalism or groupism and stated that it is a natural occurrence of the human being and learned judgement as implicit bias .... am I getting this right?

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
But there are groups and organizations that I totally disagree with because they only cover one race instead of the hole problem
Some groups have to learn to let go... the past is the past. They have to accept, for now, racism exists and will for some time... but we will learn to live together in time.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

Attempts to "make it right" always, always cost someone, somehow. Allow each to succeed or burn on their own merits. I'll cite Ben Carson as an example, so don't try to explain why you cannot get that albatross from around the neck. Short of providing permanent pensions, or nose jobs for Romanians there is no answer.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

Attempts to "make it right" always, always cost someone, somehow. Allow each to succeed or burn on their own merits. I'll cite Ben Carson as an example, so don't try to explain why you cannot get that albatross from around the neck. Short of providing permanent pensions, or nose jobs for Romanians there is no answer.
Yup. You can't legislate it. One of the worst things that has happened in this country is the forced integration of schools, primarily the busing aspects of it in forcing kids to to be bused to different schools.

It would have been more than enough to force the schools to accept students of all races (in effect to legislate to force people to succeed or burn on their own merits), which would have eventually led to self-integration on a more natural basis. Or, at the very least, both whites and blacks wouldn't hold a resentment backlash over it.

They forced integration of housing, but they didn't force anybody to move to another neighborhood so as to make it more integrated. Integration is happening more naturally, organically in neighborhoods, and peacefully (for the most part).

Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One problem I have with it is Mr. Fayza quoting statistics from "metadata world wide surveys".
Source of the surveys: The most racist countries in the world
At the beginning of the video Jay Fazya mentioned "metadata world wide surveys" no specific survey. My point is that people aren't always truthful when replying to surveys. As a junior high student in the Minneapolis Public School System we were subjected once a year to a survey pertaining to our drug use and sexual activities. The survey was conducted in the school auditorium with minimal supervision. A venue rife for statistical skewing. And skew we did! Many of us were getting laid and doing drugs on a daily basis. Ah, those were the days...

Reactions: Turtle

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One of the worst things that has happened in this country is the forced integration of schools, primarily the busing aspects of it in forcing kids to to be bused to different schools.
I believe there is a direct relation between busing to achieve integration and climate change.

Reactions: davekc and Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
At the beginning of the video Jay Fazya mentioned "metadata world wide surveys" no specific survey.
I got that reference from within the original piece from RebelMedia's Website. When I hear or read where someone sources something, I generally like to go to the original source to read it for myself instead of merely accepting someone else's interpretation of it.
My point is that people aren't always truthful when replying to surveys.
That's true. But most surveys have an inherent margin of error to account for that, particularly if the survey asks questions where people may be prone to lying. And there are often other less pointed and obvious questions elsewhere within the survey which can be used as a baseline to determine truthfulness in the other questions.

Reactions: JCH