Questions for you expediter types.....

wannatruck

Seasoned Expediter
Ok, I'm learning to drive a tractor trailer. I'm having problems with the backing. I need an income, and soon. SO....I'm considering a downgrade, to a CDL B. I really want to do the OTR thing, or at LEAST regional....so here's my questions....

1. Do any of the expediting companies (read owners) hire people with a CDL B? I can handle the straight truck thing.

2. Who, if any, are hiring in Colorado?

3. Will they hire, with no experience, and no school? Yeah, you read that right, no school....I learned the old fashioned way.

A little about me. I've been learning to operate an 80k pound missile. Freightliner Classic XL with a 53' wagon, and a 13 speed tranny. I'm pretty good going forward, and can straight back better than most students (according to the tester who failed me on the parallel park). I have experience with box trucks up to 22', and a lift bed 26' box truck. (airline catering!) I have a spotless record, and don't do drugs, I don't even drink. So, last question.....

4. Do I have a chance? I really need the work right now, being unemployed for 3 months SUCKS!

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I don't know enough about the big trucks to give ya an answer. If you just want to drive though, ya may want to look up the courier companies in Denver. Those types of companies seem to often be hiring.

You being able to drive a straight truck might give you an advantage over someone else who applies but can only drive thier car.

It's obviously not OTR, but at least ya'd have something.

fortwayne

Not a Member
Fill out the muti carrier app on this site and u will get an answer, good or bad.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

wannatruck

Seasoned Expediter
Fill out the muti carrier app on this site and u will get an answer, good or bad.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I'm still waiting on word for the testing on my CDL B, but I didn't think of that! I saw it the other day, it didn't dawn on me though.

As far as doing local courier work, its there, yes....but they want you to own your own truck. I don't have the money to do that at the moment.

thanks Fortwayne, I'll fill that out as soon as I get the card ordered. (I know I'll pass it, straight trucks is easy mode for me! not trying to be arrogant, I just know my abilities.)

And thanks for all the replies, I appreciate the info. Trying to figure out where I'm going right now.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Lacking experience and knowledge [of expediting], I'd suggest team driving with someone who has both, as your best option - at least until you gain the experience & knowledge to get on with a carrier yourself. You can check EO's classified ads for 'Team driver wanted', or let carriers know that you're willing to do it.
And good luck! :)

wannatruck

Seasoned Expediter
Lacking experience and knowledge [of expediting], I'd suggest team driving with someone who has both, as your best option - at least until you gain the experience & knowledge to get on with a carrier yourself. You can check EO's classified ads for 'Team driver wanted', or let carriers know that you're willing to do it.
And good luck! :)

I don't have a problem with that. I'm pretty easy to get along with, and don't take too much offense to anything. Although, I have learned the T/T side of it while learning to drive the bigger trucks. The O/O who was training me did alot of expedited freight off the boards to get us home weekly. I have a little idea what I'd be getting into. Just like the military, hurry up and wait. OR, Long strings of boredom, followed by short periods of scrambling like mad. That I'm not worried about. I will have to look into that though, as I hear teams make better money anyway!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One thing that you MUST do no matter how you decide to go into expediting is the idea that this is a JOB and someone is going to HIRE you. This is a business whether you drive for an owner or buy your own truck. If you go into this with that "job" attitude you are far more likely to fail.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Ok, I'm learning to drive a tractor trailer. I'm having problems with the backing. I need an income, and soon. SO....I'm considering a downgrade, to a CDL B. I really want to do the OTR thing, or at LEAST regional....so here's my questions....

I know nothing about you but will take a liberty and speak frankly. Read the post you put up but pretend it came from someone else. Would you think what I am thinking? Does this look like a post from someone who is looking for the easy way out?

If you really mean it that you want to be an OTR trucker and if you are already in a training program that will get you there, why not stay the course? If backing is the only issue, man up and make up your mind to learn how to back up a truck.

Granted, backing up an 18-wheeler is not the easiest thing to do, but it can become easy if you master the skill. Don't think about the easy way out. Think about how easy it will be to back up a big rig once you master the skill.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Once you learn backing,it will be second nature.After 2 weeks on the road,backing my car becomes difficult,no trailer involved.If your still taking class,tell the instructors your having backing troouble,they will spwnd more time with you.Once you get your A cdl,your still going toi have toi fins a company that takes students.The school can do this much easier than you can do by yourself.In any event,running team will help with your learning,both in a straight truck and tractor trailer.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I think you will find most companies want to see that you went through a school since you do not have experience. You may be better off starting with one of the regular trucking companies and learning the art of backing the truck up which can take awhile.

wannatruck

Seasoned Expediter
Therein lies the problem Paullud, I'm not going through a school. I'm learning from an O/O. I'm learning from the guy who would have originally been hiring me, except he's since decided that trucking isn't what he thought it would be. (after 20 years) So I may not have the job I was originally being trained to do anyway. Which is why I'm looking at going down to the B. Less companies demand that year of experience or school to drive a B truck. IF I could go back and start over, I would have just paid for the school in the first place. I can back up, I can hit any dock he's pointed me at. I can't parallel park a semi. Now, the testers gave me pointers to get past the test on the parallel park and even THEY think I don't need a school, just more backing practice, but I'm out of time now. Money is getting tight, I need to find something. I want to go OTR, hence why I'm looking at expediting. I know its not like trucking, there is alot more down time between loads, and location is everything. I just want to be on the road, earning SOMETHING. Instead I'm sitting here, trying to decide what I need to do.