Question about LandStar Express America...

scratchplayer

Expert Expediter
Hi everybody-
This is my first post on EO. I've been reading other posts for a while and learning some good information.
I'm considering signing on with LandStar Express America with a cargo van. I asking the forum if anyone knows how their system operates, how many runs one might expect to find for a cargo van, and do they require the $100,000.00 cargo / $1,000,000.00 liability coverages.
Do I have to sign on "exclusively" with them, or could I still freelance on my own?
I have their application and I have asked them these same questions, but I just want to hear from people who have "been there, done that"!

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Whirl, whirl, twist and twirl.
Come right out like a flyin' squirrel.
Now don't you cuss and don't you swear,
Just come right out and form a square.

winemaker3279

Expert Expediter
Jeff, I have no idea! I am curious though as to what Landstar told you. I have been meaning to contact them about running a cargo van, but have not had the opportunity to do so yet. What are they paying, and what about freelancing? How are loads given out? I know for "big trucks" you go to their website and put your name on a load. and its yours.

The best defense is a good offense...thank GOD I'm offensive!!!

scratchplayer

Expert Expediter
winemaker-
Hi, sorry it's taken me so long to respond...
Their application calls for the insurance limits that I quoted in the earlier post, and I was told by the o/o development person that they were "considering" putting on single o/o's with their own authority. She wasn't even sure if they would approve an independent o/o with just one van. I was also told that their load system works like this: The loads are posted on a website, or you can access them with a phone number to a centralized info center. Then you simply claim the load (because you are already an authorized, approved carrier for them). You would remain independent (freelance). These were things that I was told, and I only posted originally to find out if anyone who actually drives for them finds all of these things to be true. Also I did not get any word as to how many loads were out there for cargo vans.
I'm still looking for more info if anyone has it!
Jeff

Whirl, whirl, twist and twirl.
Come right out like a flyin' squirrel.
Now don't you cuss and don't you swear,
Just come right out and form a square.

winemaker3279

Expert Expediter
I have been asking dirvers for Landstar about the load system. Yes, it is true about the way they get loads. They log into the website and find the load they want. They then call and get the details and set a price. The load is now theirs. Noboby else can take it. They are responsible. The guys I have talked to all drive T/T and no idea about how the cargo van division operates. I'll keep trying though!

The best defense is a good offense...thank GOD I'm offensive!!!

Marty

Veteran Expediter
With Landstar Express America(LEA) you can not haul your own loads. Maybe they are concidering this for the future but it is not currently allowed.
With LEA you wait for an agent to call you with a load. There is a Landstar web site in which loads are posted but this is for LEA'S sister companies. These sister companies are tractor-trailer companies. LEA drivers can get loads off this site but there are very few loads that are good for straight trucks and practically none that are good for vans.
Freight has been very slow since January and LEA has a freeze on hiring vans. They are only hiring one van for every van that leaves.
Hope this helps. If you have any more questions just ask. I'll be home all day. I'll check back later.

scratchplayer

Expert Expediter
Hi Marty,
Are you saying that if you get approved to carry loads for Landstar Express America, then you will not be able to carry your own loads that you might get for yourself (for example, from a shipper that you have negotiated with, or from local pick-up and delivery customers)? How can they call you an Independent Contractor when they are demanding exclusive use of you and your vehicle? Am I missing something? I didn't think companies that sign on IC's could do that. It's different if you sign on to THEIR authority, but I'm concerned about driving for them under MY authority.
Thanks for your response-
Jeff

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Hi Jeff,
I asked them about hauling loads under my own authority or as a trip lease and was told that you can't do it. I can't remember for sure but I believe it is in the contract. Many expedite freight companies distort the meaning of independent contractor.

SpaceGhost58

Expert Expediter
Instead of a new post I thought I would jump in on this one considering I am possibly going to run with LSE as well.

Would like to hear from those who run cargo vans with them.

Any input about LSE would be helpful.

I am taking some advice I have read here on EO and have decided to go with an O/O first before taking the big plunge.

Appreciate the input!

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Hi Jeff,
I just wanted to add something I forgot in my reply to your post. Since we are on the Newbee forum I suspect you might a newbee. Landstar only hires drivers with at least 6 months over-the-road experience.

SpaceGhost58

Expert Expediter
Your right Paperback1!

Being in the military acronyms are second nature.
I apologize for that!

Anyway I am still looking for info from anyone driving a cargo van for Landstar Express America (LSE)

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Landstar likes acronyms too. Just for your information though, the one they use for Landstar Express America is LEA.
I am a cargo van driver with LEA. If you have any more questions about them I would be more than happy to answer them for you.

beechhouse_84

Expert Expediter
Dear Marty,
I am waiting to hear back from LEA on my appl. for myself and girlfriend. I am wondering how many miles I can look at getting and has work been good. I would like any info. you can give me.

Thanks Don