Question about getting my own Authority

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
I'm considering getting my own authority with the 1 ton van I own. I'm already leased to an expediter, but I would like access to expedited load boards to look for my own loads to bid on. If someone here is doing this already, or anyone with experience of having their own authority please advise me. What are some of the sites of loadboards. Someone told me one was Diversified, but when I searched, nothing came up. He was a Cargo van driving for a carrier with its own authority who was signed on to an expedited carrier and also looked for loads on load boards. The key is what ere the names of these load boards that have LTL freight for 3000 lbs or less?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I've never found a load on a load board that is public use if there eve. Is one most load boards are private and you need to have a password and be signed up with the company that has it

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
there are dozens of free load boards its just finding one that will meet the needs of an expediter driving the type of units used in most expedites. the link above will provide you with lots of truckload freight but then again all expedites may not be an expedite to begin with. sell yourself it is possible that if the freight fits and the vehicle can handle the weight you might be able to turn it into better money than what your used to as an expediter anyways. and you will need a mc# to set up with the broker or shipper posting.

Brothers Expediting Inc.

Rookie Expediter
Crich, I want to thank you for sharing your ideas and business leads... You have been most helpful to me just from the information that you provide "willingly and freely" I recently ran a load down to Florida for a company you promoted in one of your threads. Had you not mentioned them I probably would have never got set up with them... Thanks Again

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
Crich, I want to thank you for sharing your ideas and business leads... You have been most helpful to me just from the information that you provide "willingly and freely" I recently ran a load down to Florida for a company you promoted in one of your threads. Had you not mentioned them I probably would have never got set up with them... Thanks Again

You are so welcome. thank you for the kind words. join me on linkedin I have over 900 contacts and most of them was added while pimping vans. its not a bad way to market yourself either. I am not your competition I got out of running cargo vans but that does not mean I don't know a guy or two that can help you out being from the same area and all. and if you ever need some ridiculously overpriced flat or stepdeck freight moved now give me a shout.

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
You didn't mentioned getting my authority. How can start looking for loads without an MC#. You want to be specific about where you find loads? Are you finding loads on load boards? If yes, without authority? Got some names of load boards I don't need my authority?

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
I've logged on to many load boards but very rarely do they have any loads for a 1 ton cargo van. The only one that does is U-Ship. Those loads are bid way down, and never found it worth my while to even bid on them. Do you know of any loadboards that have cargo van loads? They don't even have to be free. I need some names...

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
You didn't mentioned getting my authority. How can start looking for loads without an MC#. You want to be specific about where you find loads? Are you finding loads on load boards? If yes, without authority? Got some names of load boards I don't need my authority?

Sorry I thought since it was RE:question about getting my own authority that you was going to.

originally I was asking tknight a question regarding his post. just an example that yes there are free load boards that will indeed let the general public view posted loads without signing anything.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Free boards that let you look are about as useful as screen windows in a submarine for they give you little info on the job and you can't bid on it anyways! It lets you drool a little but that's all. I've never found a free sample to provide work and I've never seen any real jobs for a st8 that are posted on the legit sites unless someone can share a secret I'll stick with my pimps!
Now if I had a tt on the road it's a whole different story, the listings are endless in that respect. I do run my own authority by the way.

Last edited:

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
Since you have your own authority, what are some of the paid subscription laodboards that are good? I would get my own authority, if I could get on some good load boards (not free) where I could find loads that would fit in my cargo van. So to you and anyone reading the post I started, WHAT ARE THE NAMES OF SOME LOAD BOARDS WITH CARGO VAN SHIPMENTS?

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
it's hard to find cargo van/sprinter loads on FTL LTL loadboards, if you do find those, they don't pay as well because they don't need to get there asap.

There is a huge difference between Full loads, partial loads and expedited loads. You might find a partial on those sites that will fit, but they probably won't pay as much as if it was expedited load.

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have dispatched for a small trucking company before, and I worked with 5 trucks, three 48' one 53 and one 53 reefer.

I remember a partial out of bakersville, CA to Chicago, IL that was 3 skids of 1500lb together, I believe I got it for 500

My truck already had a load on it going to chicago, it makes sense to accept that kind of a partial if you have space available.