Properly pricing for vitamin stores and furniture home delivery?

JonH

Rookie Expediter
Hello everyone,

I'm back with more questions.

I have an opportunity to deliver for some vitamin stores but need assistance In pricing the companies correctly. How is It done? And how is the pay?

Also I have an opportunity to deliver for some local furniture stores, I gave my cards out to them and received a favorable response. Said they would give my cards to the customers and then the customer would call me and I'd have to give them my prices. No middle man, just me and the customer. How do I determine what to charge? Is it usually by the piece?

Just a few questions I really need answers to. Any knowledge given would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

I have a 24ft 2008 Hino box truck 268A with a lift gate.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have an opportunity to deliver for some vitamin stores but need assistance In pricing the companies correctly. How is It done? And how is the pay?

Can you be more specific? Are you picking up at a distribution center and delivering to vitamin stores? Are there currently others doing this? If so you would have to keep your price in line with theirs to be competitive. You also need to know your own costs like fuel, maintenance, insurance, etc.

Also I have an opportunity to deliver for some local furniture stores, I gave my cards out to them and received a favorable response. Said they would give my cards to the customers and then the customer would call me and I'd have to give them my prices. No middle man, just me and the customer. How do I determine what to charge? Is it usually by the piece?
I have a 24ft 2008 Hino box truck 268A with a lift gate.

Furniture is a totally different business. It usually involves more than just delivering. Would this be home furnishings or office/commercial furniture? Delivering new furniture often involves unpacking cartons, removing the cartons and packing debris, removing customers doors, climbing stairways, assembly of furniture, risking damage to furniture and customers walls, etc. You most likely would need a helper, you know the 2 Men & A Truck thing. Again, you first need to know your costs before you can even begin to set prices.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Wouldn't furniture delivery be like $35 plus $2 per mile first 10 miles. &1.50 up to 30 miles. $1 per all other miles. $20 dollars 2nd floor,basement with stairs.
$20 debris removal from property.
Store would have to agree to accept debris.
I guess go one town over, look at furniture and see what delivery fee is.
Also, just because consumer is paying $50 to have piece delivered doesn't mean store can't quietly add in $20 or $30.

Edit: numbers are just random numbers. Fit in numbers to reflect your market and costs.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Store can also get discount for over 2 or 3 stops on same truck, to encourage building of loads.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
According to his post the furniture store people hand out his card to customers. Their responsibility ends there. The customers then contact JonH for delivery arrangement's. This makes it difficult to put together multiple loads and he gets stuck with the debris. He might do better getting in bed with the furniture store. They get a cut and share some of the responsibilities.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
According to his post the furniture store people hand out his card to customers. Their responsibility ends there. The customers then contact JonH for delivery arrangement's. This makes it difficult to put together multiple loads and he gets stuck with the debris. He might do better getting in bed with the furniture store. They get a cut and share some of the responsibilities.

That's what I was implying. If he can become their in-house carrier, they can subsidize his cost to help seal the deal and sell more furniture.

JonH

Rookie Expediter
Can you be more specific? Are you picking up at a distribution center and delivering to vitamin stores? Are there currently others doing this? If so you would have to keep your price in line with theirs to be competitive. You also need to know your own costs like fuel, maintenance, insurance, etc.

REPLY**Well I spoke to a manager that works at there distribution center so im guessing Ill be picking up from there. I have fuel, maintenance and insurance figured out, I just need to know how each job is normally priced.**

Furniture is a totally different business. It usually involves more than just delivering. Would this be home furnishings or office/commercial furniture? Delivering new furniture often involves unpacking cartons, removing the cartons and packing debris, removing customers doors, climbing stairways, assembly of furniture, risking damage to furniture and customers walls, etc. You most likely would need a helper, you know the 2 Men & A Truck thing. Again, you first need to know your costs before you can even begin to set prices.

REPLY**This would be for home furnishings. And it would be floor samples so minimal assembly. The same with the furniture I know my fuel, maintenance and insurance cost figured out. Just need to know how to properly price jobs. If you'd like you can inbox me how to that would help me a lot. Thanks**

JonH

Rookie Expediter
REPLY**Well I spoke to a manager that works at there distribution center so im guessing Ill be picking up from there. I have fuel, maintenance and insurance figured out, I just need to know how each job is normally priced.**

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
From my experience as a customer furniture deliver is normally a flat rate within a given distance. My last purchase of a sectional just a couple months ago was 75 bucks anywhere in the metro kc area. They moved the old furniture from upstairs to the basement and set up the new stuff in its place.

When I worked at a courier company in Indianapolis we had a contract to deliver for cvs. 8 bucks per delivery in the metro area. I think the drivers picked up bulk twice a day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
REPLY**This would be for home furnishings. And it would be floor samples so minimal assembly. The same with the furniture I know my fuel, maintenance and insurance cost figured out. Just need to know how to properly price jobs. If you'd like you can inbox me how to that would help me a lot. Thanks**

Don't assume minimal assembly. In fact many floor samples are assembled and will need to be disassembled for transport and to be able to fit through doorways and stairwells and then re-assembled at destination. Don't forget to include in your costs, depending on the furniture and delivery situation, you will need help to move said items.

JonH

Rookie Expediter
8 bucks per delivery? So generally how many deliveries did you have per day? And what was the distance between each delivery?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app

JonH

Rookie Expediter
Okay so I ll account for that stuff as well. Thanks

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
8 bucks per delivery? So generally how many deliveries did you have per day? And what was the distance between each delivery?

I don't honestly remember the number of deliveries. The indy metro area could be 20 to 25 miles across it would just depend where the drops were. The drivers would pick up multiple deliveries and route it how it worked best for them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
we get 75.00, per stop, 2 man 25, room of choice 25.00. put tograther 25.00, haul trash away 25..
10.00 for 2nd floor
hope that helps