Programing the Allison Automatic Transmission?

Jack Jackson

Expert Expediter
I have heard that you can go to an Allison Automatic Distributor and have the programing in your transmission changed. Basicly what I want to do is get Overdrive to lock in at a higher speed to save fuel.

When I called the Island diesel Allison Distributor in Milwaukee, he said he had never heard of such a thing. If he is correct than what the heck is that "Mode Button" on the gear selector plate for?

I would appreciate any help I can get on this.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It is a long post, but you can PM me with your number. I will tell you the exact process.

Davekc
owner
21 years

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
On mine the truck starts out with only 5 gears available. The mode button must be pressed to activate the overdrive 6th. Without pressing mode it will never shift higher than 5th. Each time the engine is started the mode button must be pressed. It stays in effect until the engine is turned off. I'd prefer it came up with all 6 available and if for some crazy reason I didn't want it to get to 6th then and only then must mode be pressed.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
while the thing about the mode for 6th may be true it does not work that way with my 4000hs allison. i am assuming you have the 3000 series in yours. but the mode button is a fuel economy thing , keep it off and get on the throttle hard and hold it and watch the rpm it shifts at then turn it on do the same and watch the rpm. should shift 2-300 rpm sooner w/mode on or off. which ever is sooner is the econo modde and should be used puttin around , turn off for cruising

reddog43

Expert Expediter
I have a sterling truck with a mbe 900, 3000 hd allison automatic transmision. Cruising at 65mph i was running at 2050rpms. Took my truck to stewart & stevenson, allison auth. repair shop and change transmission calibration from 5 to 6 speed. I now tach at 1750rpm at 65mph cost $435.00 . 250.00 program from allison, 150.00 labor + tax.
The saving in fuel i will find out this trip.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Mine goes into overdrive without the Mode button, the advantage I expierence with the Mode button on is it shifts quicker in the lower ends, it is not advised to use in WV, PA, upstate NY.

Dave am I correct?????

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We just had one done not too long ago. My advise is to go to Stewart and Stevens in Dallas TX. Total cost was $98.00. Ask for Kenny in the transmission shop. They are a authorized dealer for Allison.
I was quoted a flat $300 by two other shops.

The mode is for economy. One for city, and one for highway. If mountain climbing and it is shifting alot, lock it into 5th.
The rest depends on your setup. We have a 330 cat and it turns 1600rpms @ 65mph.

Davekc
owner
21 years