Prime driver shot and killed at truck stop

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
A Prime driver (Chad Daniel) was shot and killed at the TA truck stop in Jessup MD. It really makes you think about how dangerous this job really is, and how truly underpaid/underappreciated we all are. I came across this story on my Facebook wall. If you guys want to donate to his memorial fund, I will post a link to that as well.

Police searching for shooter who killed 1, injured another

Here is the link to the Chad Daniel memorial fund:

Click here to support Chad Daniel Memorial Fund by Dennis Mitchell Jr

Pro Direct

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
That's really sad and alarming news. Thoughts with the family for sure. Never be complacent about your safety out on the road. Even at a familiar truck stop. I for one am always eyeballing who's lurking around the lot where we sleep. Watching out for my fellow drivers as much as possible. Stay safe out there!

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I saw two dudes fighting over a girl in the front lot back in 2007 when I was driving for Panther. It was midnight and then the cops swooped up right in front of me. I was always alert at that particular truck stop, but I never thought someone would try and kill me there. It makes you think about things that's for sure.

Reactions: Opel2010

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
When I'm in that area I stay there. Now where ever I stay at I always stay alert and I also watch people.

Ftransit

Veteran Expediter
Driver
In Polk county in NC yesterday a driver was found shot in his cab. His truck rolled backwards into anther trucker parked on the side of the road. He called police they found him.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You as a CDL holder can carry. Your company mite not want you too but there is no federal law or DOT law that says you can't carry. If you find the law please send me the link. Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: hossman2011

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've asked the last 3 Times I was pulled over for inspection. Once by a MO state trooper, she told me you have to follow the state's rule that you are in. I was in WV by a DOT officer. She told me that there was no law. The Florida trooper told me the same as the MO trooper. I've looked but I've never found a law.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, there is no federal law concerning commercial truck drivers (or any other driver) and firearms in a vehicle. If you have the proper firearm permits/license and can legally carry in the state in which you are driving, or that state allows the carrying of firearms without a permit, you are legal. As a truck driver, carrying a firearm can be a real PITA due to all the different states in which we drive. You can get a non-resident permit from Florida or Utah, for example, in addition to your home state, and between the two can be licensed to carry in like 30 states.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
They have armed off duty police there at night, I was talking to him earlier, this happened in day time after noon. The driver killed was an ex policeman.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Too bad for the driver and his family....

and what a silly idea....truck driver carrying a gun?.......you get ambushed between trailers a knife to your throat...thug says thank you, yet another gun on the wrong side of the law....gee whiz....

Reactions: coalminer

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
A Prime driver (Chad Daniel) was shot and killed at the TA truck stop in Jessup MD. It really makes you think about how dangerous this job really is, and how truly underpaid/underappreciated we all are. I came across this story on my Facebook wall. If you guys want to donate to his memorial fund, I will post a link to that as well.

Police searching for shooter who killed 1, injured another

Here is the link to the Chad Daniel memorial fund:

Click here to support Chad Daniel Memorial Fund by Dennis Mitchell Jr
every job out there had some degree of danger.....from the 7-11 clerk to the cabby...to the cable repair guy....no one is exempt from random acts of crime....