Price for a Sprinter van EGR valve replacement?

joderek77

Rookie Expediter
Hello all, so I recently replaced my EGR valve and was charged $1800, but I did some research online and several sites are telling me it should be a $700 repair. Did I get ripped off? I have a 2003 Sprinter.

Also I have replaced my EGR valve twice in 2 years. I rarely ever idle my Sprinter. Is this normal?

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
that is about right for the part
but labor is what runs up the price of repair
you have gaskets, they have to clean system out that adds to cost of repairs
i use ace's 2 it helps keep system clean
send pm i'll tell you how to it ace's 2

joderek77

Rookie Expediter
I have to grab my invoice and check, but if I recall correctly there was only an hour of labor, and most of the cost was in the part. geo thanks for the advice, I am sending you a PM now! :)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The list price of the 2003 EGR valve is about $1200. Some places may bump that up a bit depending on their cost from Mercedes (former Dodge Sprinter dealers especially, as Mercedes is really sticking it to those guys). But it can be had $600 online. It takes an hour, at most (if the mechanic eats a sandwich and takes a half hour nap while doing it) to replace the valve. So your sources that said $700 are correct, or $1300 if you used an OEM part from the dealer and they charged you full list price.

Replacing it twice in two years is not normal. One question, if the $1800 shocked you, what was the price when you previously replaced it?

joderek77

Rookie Expediter
The list price of the 2003 EGR valve is about $1200. Some places may bump that up a bit depending on their cost from Mercedes (former Dodge Sprinter dealers especially, as Mercedes is really sticking it to those guys). But it can be had $600 online. It takes an hour, at most (if the mechanic eats a sandwich and takes a half hour nap while doing it) to replace the valve. So your sources that said $700 are correct, or $1300 if you used an OEM part from the dealer and they charged you full list price.

Replacing it twice in two years is not normal. One question, if the $1800 shocked you, what was the price when you previously replaced it?

When I previously replaced it the part was still under warranty from when the previous owner I bought it from replaced it, so it was free. So that would be 3 times in however many years.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
When I previously replaced it the part was still under warranty from when the previous owner I bought it from replaced it, so it was free. So that would be 3 times in however many years.

Has the turbo been barfing oil into the intake? This can cause them to get stuck.