Post Expedite 2016 Experience

traacker

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
do some research on weight capacity and DEF/DPF issues. A lot have gone the route of the Transit due to the random 4000$ wallet flushes from malfunctioning diesel emis

This IS one of the most concerning issues I have been trying to get a handle on. I am not sooooo.... "there" that I would write the Sprinter check TODAY. However, that being said, I am thinking that what I have been hearing, anecdotally, is true. That means the nightmare stories about it, as well as Sprinter sales people countering with, first acknowledgement of the occurrence of some nightmares; hence, their conclusion, .... operator error, especially in terms of "old" in ground tank DEF usage vs smaller batch, purer concentration of DEF as it is first formulated. Plus the lack of adherence of on time, appropriate maintenance.

I do not think for a moment anyone is lying, but for me, I enjoy telling my essentially true fish story to an appreciative listener. Some Single Malt as a bonding agent never hurt my story either!;)

Anyone know of a resource(s) where there is any actual empirical data, that is objective, and does not carry the inherent bias of the "story teller"? :leftmagnify:

The anecdotal stuff is easily available, but I am still looking for some empirical data for balance.

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sprinter-source.com

Best resource for what you want to know. My favorite is the fleet sprinter that racked up 272,000 in warranty repairs...

traacker

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
:clapping-happy:Great!
Thanks...

The WIKI is great.

Specifically, any data sites available on the DEF issues exclusively?

traacker

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
e3e603a374086bb065194551f6.jpg

I don't think so......

It just seems like there have been a massive amount of newbie posts, like 10-15 in the last week. Many of which were obvious trolls. If you are legit then I apologize.

After every Expo we get massive amounts of newbie posters, many of them asking ignorant questions (just shocking, I know) with very few of them being trolls. So far since this year's Expo, I haven't seen a single person be accurately publicly labeled as a troll.

Well that just makes too much sense. It wasn't so much the type of questions, god knows ive asked plenty of them, but the massive influx of them at one time. But yeah, the expo would explain that.

2017 shall be my year to go on the road!

Feels like I have travelled across the country sitting next to a whole bunch of you as I have been looking out your passenger window watching the different trucks, vans, drivers and adventures of expeditors go by. Thanks for "hosting" me along your routes. I have learned a great deal.

I think I maybe days away from buying my van. I started out with a love affair with the long tall sprinter and have finally turned a blind eye towards it. I am hunting down an actual minimum spec or +, Ford Transit Cargo Van that shall have a high roof, 148" extended length body, 3.5L eco boost gasoline engine, 3.11 rear end, heavy duty tow package with electric trailer brake, no cargo area windows.

Wobbling still on the GVWR choices of 9000#, 9500# or maybe the 9950# ratings. I think the final driver of this shall be the bottom line out the door price competition between them. All will nicely handle my basic need/desire for how I will be using the vehicle.

While I am living in Madison County, North Carolina, at this moment I am leaning towards setting up my domicile, thus registration of van in South Dakota. The motivation for SD is because it is a state that full time RV folks seem to favor because of its residency, taxes, vehicle registration and inspection options that are conducive to a full time RV living. Not having to actually be in SD more than one overnight is attractive in the long run with my intention of not being home very much.

Finally, for anyone else that is researching this Expediter adventure, my posts on this site, Sprinter Forum, Transit Forum provide the chronological trial I have been on for nearly a year now.

The Hook: My experience at the trailhead of my own trek started at NY I90 where I first became conscious of "these vans" that seem to be hanging out for longer than just a coffee/bathroom break. I approached that van, but it seemed clear to me that someone was inside, but probably sleeping so I didn't proceed any further with my curiosity. Now, "these vans" were in my thoughts and now like when I have bought a brand new car, I suddenly was aware of the same car, color and options that were all over the place. So down the highways I went, seeing these all over the place.

The Line: After a few thousand miles more, my Walmart parking lot experiences brought me to a Mooresville, North Carolina sighting of a Sprinter with a generator set mounted on a swing arm located on the rear end, obviously there for a full time Sprinter traveling occupant. What an educational experience this dude provided me! I knocked on his van's window, interrupting his reading of a novel, and judging from his initial reserve, caused him to think, whiskey-tango-foxtrot, is this dude banging on my window for? Turns out he was an expediter. Bingo. The REAL DEAL. Texas dude, moved to this Walmart from ??? to increase chances of getting the next load sooner. Great guy and one of the reasons I ended up in Lexington to learn more. Again, to cool to be forgotten dude. Thanks guy!

The Sinker: Same Walmart different day, a Long Tall Beautiful beast of a Sprinter parked in center of the lot. I do a double take driving in the lot in my little Jeep Sportster RV. Pulled in too the next parking spot, knocked on the window and began a conversation with a guy who had JUST bought the thing. But get this… it was fully outfitted EXPEDITER VAN. Screamed out this is a PROFESSIONAL dude. Turns out he was just starting out, but told the story of his own research and the need of a business plan, capitalization and attitude for making this thing work, down to how many miles, loaded, per week required to profitably “crack the nut”. Along with contingency plans, he was making it happen thus far with optimism for the future too. What stole the show for me was how he could hit a button and the Sprinter came alive expand the cargo space, yet all the while maintaining his living chambers too!

Hauled right into the boat: Lexington KY and this forum and all of its generous folks which has grown this Community.

Whew…. wadda ride! & not even gotten behind the wheel.

But that shall change within the next few weeks.

To close this purge out, newbies as I still am, this is a great forum worth all the hours and days of reading over time. While I have been overwhelmed most of the time, I am now at a point where, as my first ever post said, I shall be confidently, optimistically and really pulling the trigger on the adventure. Yes!

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am hunting down an actual minimum spec or +, Ford Transit Cargo Van that shall have a high roof, 148" extended length body, 3.5L eco boost gasoline engine, 3.11 rear end, heavy duty tow package with electric trailer brake, no cargo area windows.

Wobbling still on the GVWR choices of 9000#, 9500# or maybe the 9950# ratings. I think the final driver of this shall be the bottom line out the door price competition between them. All will nicely handle my basic need/desire for how I will be using the vehicle.
Allow me to straighten out your wobble. Don't buy 9000# GVWR. You want to be able to carry as much weight as legally possible and still have adequate creature comforts. The 9950# GVWR Transit has dual rear wheels. While it will carry more weight but not a whole lot more when you consider the weight of two extra tires and wheels. The problem is to accommodate the dual wheels, the wheelhousings protrude into the cargo area creating a narrow passage at that point. Too narrow to for a 48' pallet. Go with the T-350, long and tall at 9500# GVWR.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here's a link to the Ford Transit website: Ford Transit USA Forum

There are a lot of members that are into the stealth camping thing. There are also some expediters and most are also EO members. You mentioned looking for a minimum spec Transit. I would highly recommend the 10-way power seat. Well worth the money!

traacker

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
Bingo!
Moot, you have chimed in before, and again, hit the target of my search.

9000# and 9500# are in, 9950# gone. I had gotten to far in to the forest to remember all the trees. Dah.... of course it has EVERYTHING to do with the wheel well issue. I may have gotten it before your mention, but it is scary how I was still actually shopping around and can see my "cheap" forget the due diligence research on this exact point.

Seriously, I owe you one!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Seriously, I owe you one!
So far you only owe me a half of one. You eliminated the T-350HD at 9950 GVWR but not the T-250 at 9000 GVWR. 500 lbs. doesn't seem like much, but it makes a difference when legally expediting for profit. A rule of thumb I use is figure on losing about 1000 lbs. of weight carrying capacity for a decent expedite setup. This 1000 lbs. includes driver, full tank of fuel, flooring, insulation, freight securement (E-track, straps etc.) house battery(ies) food, clothing and assorted pus¹ that tends to accumulate rapidly over a short period of time.

My 2015 T-350 long and tall weighed in at 5900 lbs. new with me in it. When outfitted for expediting it tipped the scales at almost 7100 lbs. giving me a load capacity of 2400 lbs. I have two 6V batteries that weigh 66 lbs. each, a small refrigerator that must weigh about 35 lbs. It all adds up! Especially the little stuff.

¹pus. Not the viscous yellow stuff from an infected wound but just as useless. Anything and everything that never gets used but hauled around.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Those Transits and promasters are pretty light.
I guess... I can't speak for the Promaster, but the Transit compared to a long wheelbase GM, probably. Compared to your former GM, my Transit has two less cylinders, smaller gas tank, shorter wheelbase, unibody vs. ladder frame, more overall sheet metal (but likely thinner), smaller size tires and less studs and lug nuts. Size for size your Unicell must be close?

Sorry I don't remember what your cube weighs or what your real name is after seeing it on a legal document 1½ years ago. I also forgot to take my ginkgo biloba this morning and I can't remember if I took it yesterday. A mind is a terrible thing to waist and a waste is a terrible thing to mind. Or is that the other way around? I don't remember.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Those Transits and promasters are pretty light.
I guess... I can't speak for the Promaster, but the Transit compared to a long wheelbase GM, probably. Compared to your former GM, my Transit has two less cylinders, smaller gas tank, shorter wheelbase, unibody vs. ladder frame, more overall sheet metal (but likely thinner), smaller size tires and less studs and lug nuts. Size for size your Unicell must be close?

Sorry I don't remember what your cube weighs or what your real name is after seeing it on a legal document 1½ years ago. I also forgot to take my ginkgo biloba this morning and I can't remember if I took it yesterday. A mind is a terrible thing to waist and a waste is a terrible thing to mind. Or is that the other way around? I don't remember.
6700# empty. And you know my name is John.

Reactions: ntimevan

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
6700 lbs. includes insulation, finished interior, E-track, house battery etc. So a cuber on a GM chassis isn't much heavier than my Transit. I don't remember exactly what my Chevy weighed new but finished out it was about 7,000lbs.

Yes, I know your name is John, Scott. What I meant was I knew your name was John, Scott when I sold you my van but I forgot your name was John, Scott until I saw it again on whatever that was you showed me with your name on it.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Among many others, Moot was one of my "rookie advisors" before I bought my van. Words to the effect of, get the biggest one you can afford because it gets smaller the more you are in it. I bought the Transit 350 extra longer, high top and don't regret it. Do Not get a dualie. Like Moot, with roof AC, generator, bunk, refrigerator, 2 beds (team), etc., My curb weight is now 7300#. I hate to say it, but, size does matter

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am hunting down an actual minimum spec or +, Ford Transit Cargo Van that shall have a high roof, 148" extended length body, 3.5L eco boost gasoline engine, 3.11 rear end, heavy duty tow package with electric trailer brake, no cargo area windows.

Allow me to straighten out your wobble. Don't buy 9000# GVWR. You want to be able to carry as much weight as legally possible and still have adequate creature comforts. The 9950# GVWR Transit has dual rear wheels. While it will carry more weight but not a whole lot more when you consider the weight of two extra tires and wheels. The problem is to accommodate the dual wheels, the wheelhousings protrude into the cargo area creating a narrow passage at that point. Too narrow to for a 48' pallet. Go with the T-350, long and tall at 9500# GVWR.
@9950# can not do Canada IF that was an option

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
6700 lbs. includes insulation, finished interior, E-track, house battery etc. So a cuber on a GM chassis isn't much heavier than my Transit. I don't remember exactly what my Chevy weighed new but finished out it was about 7,000lbs.

Yes, I know your name is John, Scott. What I meant was I knew your name was John, Scott when I sold you my van but I forgot your name was John, Scott until I saw it again on whatever that was you showed me with your name on it.
wow you guys are heavy....:) I am under 6,000 as it sits today...