Portable Generator choices for Van...

Twin Pop USA

Expert Expediter
I just purchased a 5200 BTU wall mount AC air conditioner to mount in the side door of my cargo van. Anyone have any experience with portable generators for powering the AC? So far Ive found Honda, Coleman, and McCulloch models under 700 bucks that might fit the bill. Any advice on which unit is a best value for the price??

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Twin Pop, there is an E.O. member and Sprinter owner (his name escapes me right now) that has been running a Honda generator for a few years. He and others seem very satisfied with the Honda. Search the archives for a thread on this topic.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I run a Honda 2,000 watt generator and plan to try and run a 5,000 btu A/C as well. I just don't know what wattage it will take.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OVM,
Many of these A/C units run between 5 and 7 amps but as high as 20 amps surge on start up depending on the manufacture.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well let's see,

if the generator is rated at 2000 watts, I think that the surge capability may be 2200 watts.

So 2000 watts at 115 volts is roughly 17 amps - 2000/115 = 17.xxxxxx(you know that bad formula, Ohms Law?)

Twin Pop USA

Expert Expediter
I was looking at a Honda 1000i generator. After reading this, I guess the 2000i would be a better choice to handle the starting power for my AC unit. I want to build a vented box for the generator and mount it on my van's rear door. Generator is 42 lbs dry, plus box weight, maybe 15 lbs? Hope my door can hold it, it should. My side door w/ the AC mounted in it is about 1/2 inch lower than the other side door. Again, any advice/experience in such a procedure would be much appreciated!! Thanks

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Somebody posted a picture of a Sprinter with a hitch receiver mounted on front. The receiver held a hitch mount cargo carrier, which in turn held the generator. Having the generator up front and out of the way seems like a good idea.

Try a search using the words Honda generator.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>Somebody posted a picture of a Sprinter with a hitch
>receiver mounted on front. The receiver held a hitch mount
>cargo carrier, which in turn held the generator. Having the
>generator up front and out of the way seems like a good
>idea.

Except when you hit something, BOOM!!!