Pilot/Flying J Self Checkout

vanman10x2

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Has anybody seen the new self checkout at Pilot/FJ. Very cool, in and out in a flash, it's about time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, eliminate cashiers so they can lower costs.

I seldom go to Pilot/FJ so get back to me when you see those lower prices. :)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't like self-checkout at all. The last thing I want to do when I go to the store is work. If they want me to fill out a W-9 Form and pay me, or even give me 10% off what I'm buying, that's fine, but I really don't want to do someone else's job for free. But that's especially the case at a truck stop when I've just finished a long drive and I run in and grab a few things, the last thing I want to do is play checkout clerk.

I can understand someone, especially a non-trucker, who's just buying a Moon Pie and an RC, they don't want to stand there in line while a trucker is getting paperwork scanned or a Comcheck done or some other time-consuming thing. But for me, I'll have someone else ring it up while I'm getting out my money to pay for it. The PFJs that have self-checkout, will ring your stuff up for you if you want.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
More people not working, great. I avoid self checkouts as much as possible no matter where I am. It is getting harder every day to find those kinds of jobs. Shoot, I can even remember a time when there were elevator operators.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The one in Lebanon Tn does this. First time I saw it. Not for me. Not really any faster.

JoeS

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I believe Oregon is the only other state besides NJ that also has full service only.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You've got to leave the pumping of Class 1 Flammable Liquids to the professionals! Except for diesels. Diesel is OK. In New Jersey and Oregon, it is legal for customers to pump their own diesel, although not every station permits diesel customers to do so, but trucks stops do.

For gas in Oregon, getting caught pumping your own and it's a $500 fine. In New Jersey, get caught pumping your own and the gas station, not you, is the one who gets fined, $50-$250 for the first offense, $500 thereafter.

In 2001 in Oregon, they amended the law to allow motorcyclists to pump their own gas. It was awkward having some random person stick the nozzle between your legs as you dutifully sat on the bikes waiting to be serviced. Ahem.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It was awkward having some random person stick the nozzle between your legs as you dutifully sat on the bikes waiting to be serviced. Ahem.

WHOA!!!! Hello!!!!!!!!
icon_eek.gif

I'm staying clear of that one.
ssig_eeeek_100-100.gif

vanman10x2

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, considering I am CV O/O and don't use Comdata, Comchecks, etc., or CAT Scales and all that lovely stuff, when I want my occasional energy drink or slice of pizza, I will be zooming out the door instead of waiting in line. I like it!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Well the company did set a pretty fine example of stealing from people for profit so maybe people need to follow their example at the self check out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app