Personal Miles while driving a fleet owner Truck.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So I have a driver that is finally quitting with essentially only a couple days notice (enough for them to get their stuff dropped off at home and return the truck). I'm asking the driver politely to make sure that the miles from their house and back to where the truck is being dropped off at the carrier headquarters are loaded miles with the exception of a little deadhead. Also what is the procedure for a fleet owner to take before issuing payment and how long does the fleet owner take to issue the final check?

That being said what is the industry standard charge per mile (personal miles) for miles that are put on the truck by the driver when they refuse to do what the owner ask them? The model of the truck is a Sprinter Van. I'm sure it varies from the size of truck. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That all should be covered in the contract between you and the driver. If it is not you need to pay him what he earned in your normal payment time. If personal miles etc aren't covered chalk this one up to learning.

Reactions: T270_Dreamin

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
One owner I had spoke with some time ago charges xx per mile for all miles DH, PU, and personal plus and he takes a smaller % of the load. That way if a driver decides to go sightseeing, or takes a less than a reasonably direct route to perform pickup and deliveries, then he is compensated for such miles. He started doing this in his vans when he found more than one driver taking the van OOS and then doing personal loads (friends, neighbors etc.) while the unit was OOS.
It does makes since if you are a fleet owner to charge so much for each mile on all your vehicles and adjust your % compensation to keep it fair and have their drivers compensate you for any extra un-contracted miles.

Last edited:

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
If the driver pays for gas than no limit of personal miles. Regarding the final check ,if the driver return the truck than pay him when is scheduled.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
ok sounds good, so what if the owner originally had a bed in the truck and the driver returns the truck with no bed? The check is due this week but I will have to inspect the truck and make sure everything is inside before issuing check.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Than charge him with the bed value. 2-300 or so .Yes , you have to see the van before you issuing the check. My rule is ,the driver who quit , has to bring the van back and if everything ok ,I pay him 100%.But I have that in the contract.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
These are some good notes to keep in mind when drafting up the contact for the next driver.

We charge $1000 if the driver not bring the van back. You must put that in the contract and tell him twice before you give him the keys. So far we did not have any issues. Also you have to be really careful who you put in your van. We require work history.

Reactions: bubblehead

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The driver has agreed to bring back the van. I ask for a 30 days notice if quitting. For weeks that van sits I charge $90 per week to cover fees inside of the 30 days required. So if the driver quits without notice and I find a new driver that takes over the previous driver is fortunate and doesn't have to cover those fees for not giving a notice. Or if I decide to go out and run the truck while looking for another driver then the driver who quits without notice also has the advantage. If the truck moves weekly they don't cover the fees within 30 days, if it sits they cover the fees. It looks I have found a solid replacement driver so most likely the driver will get everything back after completing a inspection of the van and operating/conducting themselves in a compliant fashion.