Panther straight truck drivers

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Please post your weekly mileage averages for loaded and MT and please indicate if that's solo or team. Their recruiter indicated 2200 miles paid per week as an annual average with the next several weeks being more like 1800 due to the slow season and picking up to 2500 or so during the busy season to average 2200 for the year in a D unit solo.

He also told me they pay weekly and they pay deadhead miles based on the week and not on individual runs. He says the first 100 deadhead per week are on me and after 100 they pay 50cpm for all additional d/h miles that week. I've never heard of that with any company but he reiterated it after I questioned him on it.

Thank you.

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Preacher

Expert Expediter
Just make sure you get it all in writing. They can't guarantee the miles in writing, but get the deadhead in writing.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
Leo,

I was told the same regarding DH miles by the Panther recruiter I spoke with. Sounds quite reasonable to me. If nothing else, it will cover fuel if the DH isn't too long. The recruiter also stated that Solo D deadhead is around 250-500 miles per week.

Rex

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
250-300 dh miles per week doesn't sound too bad. Leo, TST also has that system of dh. I think it's a way to remind their dispatchers not to send us willy-nilly to this load or that layover. I applaud them.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If they are truly paying .50cpm for every d/h mile per week after the first 100 then I don't care too much how many it is. It costs me 33.9cpm pure cost to drive my truck so there's 16 cents for me for each d/h mile they pay. Compared to losing 14 cents if I'm getting the more normal 20cpm deadhead pay that's a great deal, especially since d/h seems to always be something under 100 miles so there's no d/h pay in the current system.

Now, I'd much prefer it to be loaded miles but if their system is truly the first 100 miles a week on me and the rest paid by them it's much better than what I have heard of anywhere else.

I know they can't and won't guarantee loaded miles but am hoping to hear from some Panther drivers, especially solos, to get an idea of what is the norm with them. That way I can know if they are blowing smoke or not.

Leo
truck 767

MorganW

Expert Expediter
Leo,

Some time back, I think you were telling us about your first week out, and it was pretty impressive. Have things changed at your current carrier (whom I'm looking very strongly at signing on with)?

How many miles have you been averaging over the last bit? I'm not trying to pry, but that kind of info would sure help me figure out if I'm headed in the right direction.

All the best...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Since my first run October 5 I have done 15,444 paid miles. I have been off duty about 2 weeks total during that time. If it weren't for the long runs from Laredo to Detroit my miles would be less I suspect. I'm averaging about 1300 paid a week. I'm looking for at least 500 a week more paid miles.

Leo
truck 767

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Unless something has changed within the last two weeks, Panther pays .50 cents per mile on DH. (miles to a dispatched pickup)
Empty miles or empty moves (dispatched miles to a location to wait on a load) is roughly .17 cents per mile. The latter varies with the cost of fuel. They do not take a weekly average of DH and pay .50 per mile after the first 100.
Unless of course as mentioned, something has changed in the last two weeks.
Davekc