Panther Straight Solo Drivers - need input

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My co-driver has a family situation which requires her to leave the truck we are driving for Dave Corfman. It is a 2000 FL70 temp control box with push axle and liftgate. 96" sleeper. Quite capable of handling most loads, although, the insulation in the box reduces the inside width to only 92 inches.

Anyway, I would like to go out solo in this truck. I am delivering near Dallas tomorrow (I live near Dallas) and will then be ready to see how busy Panther can keep me. Of course, I suppose I'll have to start by deadheading to a more solo friendly area.

I have no experience with solo runs for Panther. I'm trying to find out if I can keep the truck running for Dave, or, do I have to do the honorable thing and return the truck to him for a team to run. He is willing to test out the solo market, but knowing something ahead of time would be nice. I don't require returns to Dallas on a regular basis. Every couple of months is fine for me. My sleeper is so large I can easily live in it for long periods of time.

I'm not interested in a co-driver. That will never happen. My current co-driver is a special person who should be thought of as a saint for dealing with me for the last 6 months. I'm way too controlling and prefer being alone.

So if you have some advice on opportunities with Panther and expected income, both Dave and I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks for your time.

tec1959

Expert Expediter
Chet hi,I think it is great of dave letting you run solo but with a truck like that,What i mean is with a lift and tag axle and i think you said a reefer.You will only make money running a team in it because most runs will be to long for a solo.I tried to run as a solo in a reefer and almost went broke.Me myself i see no way of you making it as a solo in it sorry i hope i'm wrong but i did E and DR units for almost 10 yrs with Roberts Express and Fedex..I hope this helps a little.....

P.S. Listen to dave he has alot of Exp and maybe you and him can find a great co-driver for you.....

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Oh crap!! But thanks for the quick response. From July 04 until Oct 04 I ran solo with FedEx. Liftgate and push axle. I had to leave since I was going broke, too. But, that was FedEx. Way too restrictive, it seems, in their solo runs. Also, I wasn't very good at positioning myself by only accepting loads that would put me in a good area. I got suckered into their game of being in a contest to win lots of money by not refusing any loads. Darn near put me under.

I'm really looking for Panther drivers to tell me their experience. I really believe there is a big difference between FedEx and Panther with Panther being the better company to run for.

Thanks so much.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'd estimate $11k a month as an annual average to the truck running around the 6.5-7 level as far as load acceptance etc. and if you run really hard like 9-9.5 then definitely more. I never ran for FX but I believe Panther is a significantly stronger company for a solo driver. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Now that's what I wanted to hear. As a team, we are at 100% everything except "in service". That's only 97%!!! I only refuse the stupid loads.

I'm almost 56 years old and the only thing I want to do is drive. If I could drive 24 hours a day, I would do it. I began expediting in March 04 and I love being on the road. I have few reasons to return home. I'm so happy out there by myself. But, I am not so wealthy that I can do this for free. lol. If I were, I'd buy a motor coach and just travel without worrying about shippers and consignees.

If it becomes necessary, I'll drive OTR for a company, but that's a last resort. There will be no team driving for me. Too old; too set in my ways.

Thanks.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I believe if I were that concerned about my soup getting too thin, i'd rethink which ways that I could un-set. You're just a young buck, you can do it.

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well thanks for that. But at 56, I'm just not interested in changing. I'm so happy with myself I'd like to stay this way. I am OCD and pretty sure that I have Adult ADD. Who could ask for anything more?

No co-driver. Ever. Unless it's a cat.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Chet,

After putting some miles under your belt as an expediter, it sounds like you have found your calling as a solo driver. I think that's great. It's always a pleasure to hear from someone who is happy in his or her work. Now that you know solo driving is for you, I suggest you look anew at all solo opportunities from all expediting carriers and/or fleet owners. Don't be too quick to lock on to Panther. Don't be too quick to sell FedEx short. And don't be too quick to overlook other opportunities other carriers have to offer.

You already know about Panther and have contacts there. Non-Panther cases in point include Broompilot, a solo driver who has expressed great satisfaction with C&M and says he's making great money and getting good miles there. EO recently profiled a FedEx solo driver who is doing well and is happy there too. (See: http://www.expeditersonline.com/artman/publish/owner-operators-expediting-snapshot.html ). Numerous other carriers are listed on the EO home page.

Having found your niche as a solo driver, be good to yourself. Give every carrier the chance to recruit you into their fleet. Let them know you, an experienced solo driver with a good record (I presume), are available. Let them beat a path to your door. Ask them the kind of questions you now know to ask.

At worst, talking to a number of carriers and fleet owners will be an education. At best, it will help you find the opportunity that is exactly right for you, and one you will not have to second guess after you've settled into it.

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
ATeam. That was a great post. Thank you very much.

My first loyalty is to Dave and whatever he wants me to do. After driving for A. Blair for over a year, I had to leave because his insurance would not cover the person who wanted to co-drive with me due to her lack of experience. Dave purchased a truck for my co-driver and me to run team for him in August. He hardly even knew me. Tom Robertson gave me a great reference and, based on that, Dave hired us on. I've worked hard not to let him down. It's his decision where I go.

I'm pretty sure we'll be sticking with Panther. If not, you'll see me in an 18-wheeler with a big smile on my face just 'cause I'm driving.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I have to agree with Ateam. A team-focused company and a solo mindset will get you a whole lot of broke. You have to be fair to Dave here, too. He may feel obligated to keep you in the truck, but is it being fair not wanting a co-driver? Maybe talk Dave into a move to a solo-oriented company. I hope both of you can keep an open mind. Good luck to you!

tec1959

Expert Expediter
Chet hi i see you've had alot of great replys,I just was thinking maybe you being solo in a different type of truck may be good for you,And let Dave have a team in the one your in and put you into a nice truck maybe with the reefer,tag axle and lift which alot of loads do need teams or thats what i found out with Roberts Express.I to am just like you i'd really rather run solo too,Its alot less stress and i'm able to do my own thing lol...Good luck which ever you and Dave do....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Thanks for everyones input. We have had solo drivers in the past so this isn't really unchartered territory. What appears to be the new challenge will be how well this works with Panther. We have never had a solo driven truck there before.
Our equipment is paid for so revenue requirements are slightly different.
His truck was set to be sold in the coming months but we will have to re-evaluate our plans and possible schedule on his unit.
Panther of course is our first choice simply because it has the most flexibility verses Fedex ect. If we did move, it would only be somewhere that I can book my own loads.
As mentioned in the other posts, keeping a open mind in this situation would be my first forward plan. Would it require a change in companies or equipment? Too early to tell, but if it is warranted, it will be done for the right reasons.
There are several other options that haven't been explored as of yet.
Chet has done a excellent job since working for us. The strength of any operation is in the people that work for you.
The lease company (Panther) or equipment is secondary.
It has been my experience over the years that an excellent solo driver is of much greater value than say a poor producing team.
Like many other owners, we have had both over the years.
Thanks again for everyones input.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hello, Chet is a good person... I've spoken with him on the phone a few times and helped him get started in expediting. I know very well one of the trucks he drove, as I drove it before him.

I believe PII will look after you both.

The truck is a money maker no matter who is in it.
PII sees this truck has everything that it really needs.
They need a dry van, it's covered here.
Reefer box, done deal too.
3 axles due to a heavier load... once again taken care of.
Lift gate for those tough to get to loads... they're covered as well.

The trucks got a big emough sleeper for him to be fairly self contained and not have too much down time- though knowing Chet and his style the truck doesn't have much down time anyways.

I don't foresee PII having a problem keeping their rig runnin'.
With the automotive plants in the south starting to boom, there's more business along I-20 now. AL has 2 or 3 plants, and SC has BMW. TN and KY are always good for runs, so running and gettin' into TX from time to time shouldn't be all that difficult. With that Reefer box pharmicuticals and other temp sensative freight could be hauled water to water as well. Seafood up the coasts might also be an option. Just brain storming.
Chet.... good luck. and call me and/or e-mail me sometime.
Hope it works out for you guys... I'm sure it will.
BigBob in the Big Swifter.