Pallet Grabber

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
I read in the news article in today's edition of EO that a Sprinter dealer offers a Sprinter ready to go. Among some of the goodies offered is a pallet grabber, ratchet, and tow straps. What is a pallet grabber, what are the ratchet and tow straps used for?

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Good questions, 1st pallet grabber is a clamping device used to lock onto the base of the pallet and drag out of your truck to the back so they can then forklift pallet out of truck or manually unload. Ratchet straps are used to secure your freight. This is very..very..important! Never move vehicle without securing freight. The tow strap is in case you get hung up in docks ice, mud, etc. Hope this helps. And again thanks for the question. Drive safe and be profitable!

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Glen. The article mentioned ratchet and tow straps. If I had read closer, my brain would have said ratchet straps and tow straps. I know what ratchet straps are, as I have a couple that I use on my utility trailer. I appreciate your concern. I have read some horror stories in this site. My philosophy is the same as a guy mentioned earlier: If your truck rolls over, the load should still be hanging from the floor. The use of a tow strap is a no brainer. I thought the tow strap was used somehow to load/unload or secure the freight. How is the pallet grabber used? Is it hooked to the forklift somehow? Thanks again. :+ :+

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Oldprof,

here's a pic of one.. they operate just like the old toy grabbers they used to sell when I was a kid! They 'scissor' out, then when they clamp on, as long as there is pressure being applied to the ends, (ie.. the chain being pulled by the forklift).. the jaws keep gripping. The harder they're pulled, the harder they grip.

You clamp the jaws onto a solid upright on the pallet.. then,usually you'll have a 10 foot chain(or a tow strap) to hook on to the attached chain, run that out and hook on to the forklift. Forklift backs up... pallet slides to end of van, unhook, forklift comes back in and picks up pallet.

Dreamer

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Oldprof:

Here's an alternate method that we use. We use Baltic Birch plywood on our van floor 'cause it's surface is smoother than the cheaper pine or fir plywood. Coating the surface with urethane serves two purposes. It allows you to keep the floor cleaned of dirt and grease. More importantly, this floor allows us to move an inner pallet to the rear without the aid of mechanical devices such as grippers, chains or tow straps. The secret: we spray silicone lubricant onto the fuzzy side of rubber door mats (home depot) and have each pallet set on four pieces of these mats. The combination of the smooth floor and siliconized mats allows Rene' to push or pull a 1000# pallet with apparent ease, much to the surprise of many a towmotor operator.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Terry,

What is the stuff you spray them with? Are you talking like, Armorall, or what?

Also, how do you get them lined up.. just set them in the van and ask the forklift driver to set the skid on them?

I'm trying to get a picture in my head.. but I guess 4 regular door mats would be almost the same size as a skid....

Dreamer

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well I must say this.My good friend Terry mentioned on a post a long time ago about my method of removing placards which put a nice triangular soot mark on the box.
I think it was about 3 years back when a pallet wasn't secured in a certain B Unit operating out of MO that somehow or ever it,upon acceleration it almost went through the back door. I Think it was in Jackson TN.
Perhaps Terry may want to enlighten us on why it happened..Nuff Said. LOL

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
>Dreamer

Here's the stuff I used but there are other brands.

http://www.gunk.com

The mats I use are thick rubber with a fuzzy top surface and non-skid bottom. I cut them in four pieces and set them fuzzy, siliconized side down where I think the skid or other object will be. On occasion I'll position some of them as the skid is lowered into van. Three pieces arranged triangularly work great for a 55 gal drum. I can easily slide that drum anywhere. I always use load bars fore and aft and strap everything. The slickness encourages good securement practices. These mats are also good for cushioning sensitive stuff such as a recent computer load we carried.

Now to RichM's comment:

My second van was a 92 ford with windows in the rear doors. I had a regular plywood floor without the above system and always used a chain attached from the skid to the forklift to drag heavy loads from fore to aft. On one occasion in Jackson, TN, I had two 55 gal drums banded to a pallet. before the forklift came, I cleverly decided to move a load bar to the rearmost position, close the rear doors, accelerate jackrabbit fashion and cause the skid to slide to the rear. This method worked great to get the skid to the rear; however, the tops of the drums went thru my rear windows. this idiotic episode left the nearby folks agape and left me with an expensive, out-of-service repair bill. There might be an incentive here for a new topic: :Stupid Ways To Get The Job Done"

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Thanks for the explaination!

As for the drum incident.. LMAO!!!!!!

I would have LOVED to see your face when you heard the glass break..

I bet you weren't laughin then tho!!!

Dreamer

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
A pallet grabber is used to pull the skids out of the van. Is there anything made to help pull the skids in? Do you have the helpful, friendly fork truck driver carefully push the skids up to the load bar? Or do you put the van in reverse and nail it? Thanks :+ :+

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
>A pallet grabber is used to pull the skids out of the van.
>Is there anything made to help pull the skids in? Do you
>have the helpful, friendly fork truck driver carefully push
>the skids up to the load bar?

Friendly or otherwise, that's how it's nearly always done.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Dreamer - You get one million bonus points for finding and posting a picture of a pallet grabber. Well Done!!! I spent years trying to explain to people what the heck a pallet grabber is.

When we were putting the package together with Griegers I absolutely had to make sure that we added a pallet grabber. Once again I had to explain what it was and that it can be purchased from Grainger. I first saw one back in the day at a delivery in Houston. The dude's forklift was too tall to get in my truck and the skid was in the nose. He got out the pallet grabber and a chain - and I was sold on the whole concept immediately. I'd recommend that everyone carry one just in case. They are one of the best inventions of the industrial age.... and they look cool too. Be Safe - X

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was at one shipper and their forklift had maybe one inch clearance to get into my truck. I'm in a D unit and was surprised how close it was. Don't know why they had one that tall for the loading dock. Looked more like one for putting stuff 3 stories up in racks in a Lowe's or something.

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
That pallet grabber is a top tool. At my last drop in Michigan the forklift operator used his pallet grabber to snatch the front pallet out of my truck. Easy like pie. Next spare $65 I find I'll be getting one.

--
Mike N

Faster than a speeding poulet.

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
The Story about the drums brings to mind when I had to deliver two 55gal drums in my van. The shipper didn't put them on a skid. He had a weird kind of a forktruck with a magnet and scissors mechanisim. He just pulled up to drum pushed a button and then picked it up and set it in my van,same with second drum. When I got to consignee, they didn't have one of these forktrucks,and was going to send the load back to the shipper. Finally a driver desided to try and pick up the drum from the top lip. Scary. He did it and we all thought for a while we would end up with oil bath....Butch:7 :7 :7

ATCO

Expert Expediter
My family business provides Industrial supplies. With that in mind, we also provide Material Handling equipment. This includes Pallet Grabbers. The brand we get is called VESTIL and is all american made. Our pricing would start at $56.00 plus freight. There are many other items we can help with, including Wheel Chocks, E-Clip strapping, even Pallet Dollies... While this is a sales pitch to some degree, I really just hope to be helpful in these things, as I've been working with them for a little while now.
The company is:

Accra-Tek / Badger Tools
3031 Gibson St.
Bakersfield, CA 93308
661-634-9912 (Badger 661-322-8662)
661-634-9916 fax (Badger 661-322-4773)
[email protected]

Or you can e-mail me.

Hopefully in return you guys can help me get into and understand this industry as this is where I want to go next.
Thanks,

-Joe Bohannon
Bakersfield, CA

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
And I found the cheapest pallet grabber yet. I'm using a nylon strap about 15' long I found on the side of I-95 that had the ratchet destroyed from being run over. I tied a loop in one end and the other end has a hook. I just loop the strap either through or around the skid, connect the hook to the forklift and it works like a champ. Best part is that it was free. :)

--
Mike N

Faster than a speeding poulet.