Over 1000 mile runs ?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Broker wants discount on runs over 1000 miles , word can't describe what I thought of that !!!!! Seriously when I can buy fuel at cheaper prices and tolls give me big discounts all the way across New Jersey pa Ohio in and I'll I might give them nickle but until then I don't do 1400 mile runs for 1.10 in my st8 truck especially when the load is 12 skids @8000 what are these idiots thinking? I can't wait for concert season again and chics who who are scantily clad all day and nightImageUploadedByEO Forums1457636582.568213.jpg

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
what are these idiots thinking?
They're thinking, correctly, that a lot of drivers will get a dollar sign woody and will eagerly agree to a discounted long run, because it's still a lotta dollars after the discount. o_O

Reactions: TDave

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I wasn't born to give myself away although it was a little tempting but I'm holding out still days got a few more hrs left

Reactions: Turtle

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My Sprinter doesn't recognize the difference between mile 1, 500, 1,000 or 2,000. Nor does it recognize the supposed regional differences ... TX, FL or CA .... it's all the same as OH, MN, WI, etc ....
I simply don't agree with this logic. Another tactic to drive down rates.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
I look more at the weight and if I am doing a lot of mountain driving because that will cause a lot of wear and tear.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I give ceva a discount on most runs start out at 2.20 per mile than work it down to where I want it
they think there getting a good deal, make up different in d time and other charges
this is why you need to know how to work the system

ATeam

Retired Expediter
They're thinking, correctly, that a lot of drivers will get a dollar sign woody and will eagerly agree to a discounted long run, because it's still a lotta dollars after the discount. o_O

Or they are thinking to attract drivers who mistake meaningful activity for meaningful results. As one driver once said to us after telling us about the unbelievably cheap load he and his wife took, "If you're not running, you're not making money." This team was a broker's dream and blind to the fact that they were driving themselves to the poorhouse with every mile that kept them busy.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
in oyr unregulated field of CV's....you'll have a driver that has been unemployed for a time...cupboards are bare and kids need new shoes....that $1,000 to Laredo over a 1700 mile drive is a HUGE paycheck for that driver especially for less then 2 days work...

Reactions: Turtle

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Over all my years I've seen more people screwed going to the northwest then anything....mostly like Turtle called it dollar sign woody....yippee a 2200 mile load....3 days of your time and nearly always a HUGE DH to get out and kiss 33-50% of them paid miles goodbye and not even speaking of the week or 2 you are going to loss...gee whiz...you are better off doing 300-500 mile loads all week back east

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
BTW..they are already getting a discount....the services of a team at solo rate....oh crap I forgot most carriers already gave that perk away a few years ago....my bad.....

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Over all my years I've seen more people screwed going to the northwest then anything

TRUTH.

I have taken runs I shouldn't have the last couple months, in order to show my bride our beautiful Nation, and to be honest, I love the West as well. After we leave today, though, I may have to think twice about coming back to the Pacific Northwest.

I wanna see if I can get out of Salt Lake before giving up on the West completely. If needed, there's also El Paso :rolleyes:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Twice I've been west myself....twice I ended up in El Paso...its even harder to get a solo sprinter out and you are a CV team....some even DH to Denver wait a few days and end up in KC.......

It is a hard thing to do say no that kind of number....it does get easier when you get the very next 800 miler:)

My last time to SanFran I got like $1.32 a mile going in....so DHing out was easier to take....but at todays rates? ain't happening....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
TRUTH.

I have taken runs I shouldn't have the last couple months, in order to show my bride our beautiful Nation, and to be honest, I love the West as well. After we leave today, though, I may have to think twice about coming back to the Pacific Northwest.

I wanna see if I can get out of Salt Lake before giving up on the West completely. If needed, there's also El Paso :rolleyes:
BTW....I can't remember how many time I've said to myself....just this 1 time more I can't keep getting screwed.....But alas I end up eating more empty miles...

Reactions: Ftransit and TDave

CedarMike

Not a Member
Owner/Operator
Hell no I just landed a 400 mile at full rate 2.00 a mile I won't even put my shoes on for less that 1.50 now I've been insulted enough in the last few months ! Although making my monthly nut is getting tougher every day why would you think I'd do 1.10 a mile I'm not from Europe

Are you running your own authority ?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Over all my years I've seen more people screwed going to the northwest then anything....mostly like Turtle called it dollar sign woody....yippee a 2200 mile load....3 days of your time and nearly always a HUGE DH to get out and kiss 33-50% of them paid miles goodbye and not even speaking of the week or 2 you are going to loss...gee whiz...you are better off doing 300-500 mile loads all week back east
I like going west as long as I get extra money up front as a no strings attached bonus.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
TRUTH.

Twice I've been west myself....twice I ended up in El Paso...its even harder to get a solo sprinter out and you are a CV team....some even DH to Denver wait a few days and end up in KC.......

It is a hard thing to do say no that kind of number....it does get easier when you get the very next 800 miler:)

My last time to SanFran I got like $1.32 a mile going in....so DHing out was easier to take....but at todays rates? ain't happening....
I've been to Seattle at least 3-4 times with loads out at least 3 times. First time was a load from Vancouver bc to San Fran. Then dh to LA and got loaded out of there. Second time was from Portland or to somewhere in south Alabama. Nice weekend run. Third time I can't remember where I went but I picked up in Seattle. Fourth time I didn't stay but about 6 hrs. and no load offers due to MLK day. Left Monday afternoon and got to Minny by Wed. morning. Got loaded out of St. Michael mn to Washington, D.C. While enroute to dc was preplaned on a load from Dulles airport to Lynchburg va. Then headed home to go on winter vacation. There are loads out of that area but one must be patient.
SLC was and still is a good area for me. Don't go there much anymore but have gotten loads out before.
One must remember if you go out to that area, make sure you get enough to get out on your own otherwise you will get stuck out there and go broke.