Our Best Load Ever

ATeam

Retired Expediter
When time permits, we enjoy canoeing and primitive camping on the upper Saint Croix and Namekagon rivers in Wisconsin and Minnesota. A family member, friend or local outfitter can drive you and your equipment to a number of landings on rivers and forest areas that are preserved by the 1968 Wild Rivers Act. When you paddle downstream for just a few minutes, cell phone signals cease. Trips like these are get-aways in every sense of the word.

We have been working hard as expediters since entering the business five years ago. It has been six years since we have taken time off to get on the river. We were delighted to see it has not changed and is as peaceful as ever.

At home, we loaded up the truck with our canoe and camping gear, and then drove 100 miles to an outfitter that provided truck parking (free) and shuttle service ($55). Thirty miles upstream, we put in and began a nice break away from the truck, phones, computers and business concerns. Apart from two brief rain showers, the summer weather was spectacular the whole time.

The first day, we paddled 10 miles and set up camp. Three days later, we broke camp and paddled 20 miles to the landing where the outfitter picked me up. Diane stayed with the equipment until I returned with the truck.

At the camp site, we did nothing but let the cares of business evaporate from our minds and then read and enjoy the water and woods. On day two I did not even read. Except to eat and take a nap, I spent the whole day sitting in a lawn chair, listening to the breeze and birds, and watching the river go by.

The trip was not people-free but contact with others was limited to the half-dozen parties that paddled by our camp site in three days. We we exchanged silent waves or a brief hello as they passed. Further down stream, and as the weekend came, river traffic picked up and other people could not be avoided. That was OK. We had our time away in a pristine natural setting, which is what we set out to do.

If you are laid over in the Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota area, you might consider a day trip. It would be easy. Drive 100 miles or less to Wild River Outfitters, park there, rent a canoe or kayak, paddles and life vests from them, pack food and water for a day, and have the outfitter shuttle you to a recommended landing for the kind of paddling you want to do. Extended trips are of course an option, but camping gear must be considered. The outfitter has a small campground with showers and hookups if you wish.

River Information

We took photos at the beginning and end of the trip but otherwise left the camera behind. We went on this trip looking for less to do, not more. Had we brought the camera, I would have a photo of a small black bear that appeared nearby, eagles, deer, turkeys, other critters and some great scenery.

If you like camping, wildlife and/or pristine scenery, this is a trip you would enjoy. For land lubbers, there are hiking trails along parts of the river.

0cdc6fc9-1.jpg

0538e2be-1.jpg

Last edited:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Phil... that's the best post I've ever read from you! Nice to see you actually not in the business frame of mind, and being able to relax. Good read!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It was the best load ever because it was a load of fun? That's the only connection to load I can find and it's a good one.

juliewray60

Not a Member
Stayed with some friends who live outside of St. Croix Falls. Trailered our sleds up there last winter and had a ball. You're allowed in the park and we also spent allot of time riding on the river. Pretty country up there.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Phil, sounds like a wonderful and well deserved trip. Is your We-No-Nah a Royalex hull? If so it should be a durable river cruiser.

Next time bring the camera! I would like to see some photos.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Sounds wonderful! And yes, please take the camera next time, would love to see those wildlife pics!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Phil, sounds like a wonderful and well deserved trip. Is your We-No-Nah a Royalex hull? If so it should be a durable river cruiser.

Next time bring the camera! I would like to see some photos.

Yes, We-No-Nah Royalex. No keel. Made more for rivers than lakes but we do one day want to venture to the BWCA, an area familiar to you. Now that we know how to use the truck to transport our gear, and are already packed for the next trip, the BWCA is not as far away as it used to be.

Last edited:

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
There is a place in northern Minnesota on the Canadian border where alot of Boy Scouts go canoeing. I don't know what it's called, but I've always wanted to go there. Maybe some of you know the name.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the post. That's my kind of trip. I love northern Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin and I don't think I could live anywhere else except maybe Ontario. Youbetcha

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is a place in northern Minnesota on the Canadian border where alot of Boy Scouts go canoeing. I don't know what it's called, but I've always wanted to go there. Maybe some of you know the name.

Joe, it is called the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness or B.W.C.A.W. This wilderness area encompasses more than a million acres of lakes, rivers and forest. Over 95% of the park is closed to motors, as in boats, cars, airplanes, motorcycles and chainsaws.

North of the B.W.C.A.W. in Ontario is a similar wilderness area, only larger called Quetico Provincial Park.

The Boy Scouts have a base camp on the southern end of Moose Lake a few miles outside of Ely, MN. That end of Moose Lake is outside of the park boundaries.

Moose Lake is a very popular entry point into the BWCAW. It is but a few short hours paddle from Moose to Prairie Portage, which is an entry point into Quetico.

Attachments

• TreeWinchellLake.jpg
    TreeWinchellLake.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 3

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, We-No-Nah Royalex. No keel. Made more for rivers than lakes but we do one day want to venture to the BWCA, an area familiar to you.

Phil, is your canoe an Aurora model? Most river canoes are shorter and have some rocker built into the hull. You may give up a little speed and tracking on a lake, but it shouldn't be a problem. Get yourself a padded yoke! You'll need it on the portages.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I always wanted to go there as a kid in the Scouts. Everytime they were taking a trip my family didn't have the money. One of these days I'm gonna go.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Phil, is your canoe an Aurora model? Most river canoes are shorter and have some rocker built into the hull. You may give up a little speed and tracking on a lake, but it shouldn't be a problem. Get yourself a padded yoke! You'll need it on the portages.

The canoe is a 17 foot Spirit II model. As we understood the manufacturer's literature when we bought it, it is an all-around model, not one built specifically for river or for lake canoeing. If the Boundry Waters experience hooks us, we would then consider a lighter, lake-specific canoe. We could also rent a canoe if that option made sense at the time.

For us, it's not the paddling that's special, it's the woods and being away. The canoe serves to get us and our gear to a remote campsite. Then we set up camp and enjoy the peace and each other's company.

We travel heavy, bringing books, lawn chairs, an inflatable matress, and a tent large enough to accomodate them all on a rainy day. Campfire cooking is the norm, but freeze dried food is not on our list.

Our first BWCA trip would be planned to avoid portages as much as possible. Zero portages would be best. To make it worth the drive, we would plan to camp five days or more. With the gear we carry, I don't think we would need porters, but it would be close. ;) Any portage we do may require a couple of trips.

Last edited: