Opinions on 2006 Sprinter 2500

Therion

Active Expediter
What do you guys think of a 2006 Sprinter 2500 with the 158 wheelbase. It is in excellent shape and has 124k miles on it. The van is very clean with no rust but the seller wants $17k for it. Is this a decent price for a 10 year old van or would it be wiser to look for a newer model?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nothing wrong with a 2006 at all. Does excellent shape mean looks wise or have you seen maintenence records? I think the price is high, it does have low miles but it is ten years old. Have you looked at Blue book pricing?

Sent from my SM-G925T using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think if you pay $17,000 for it you are paying about a $5,000 premium for the emotional and sentimental value of the seller.

Zero rust (and I mean zero, zero) would bump the price from $5,000 to $8,000. The low miles bumps it up another $2,000 to $3,000.

I'd want to see the maintenence records, oil changes in particular. There should be a minimum of 10 oil changes on a 10 year old vehicle (once a year no matter what). Any less than that would deduct $500 each.

If its in near-pristine condition it's worth maybe $13,000.

The engine (and everything attached to it) is worth $8,000, the transmission about $1,000. That's the bulk of the value right there. The same van without the engine or transmission is worth about $3,000 or $4,000.

I'd shoot an offer of $10,000 knowing (and stating) that there are a lot of sub-200k mileage Sprinters out there for well under $9,000, and see what he says. If you can get it for under $13,000 it's a fair price.

Reactions: Therion

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I paid 2900 US for a 2005 with 180,000 miles. It was broken, but I fixed it. For the flak you get with a carrier driving an old van, its overpriced.

Great van if you learn it, only a few trouble spots...search in here if you want to know them...would I buy it? nope

Reactions: jcochristoph

Therion

Active Expediter
Turtle was spot on. According to Edmunds the van is worth $13,500 and that's absolute top dollar-dealer retail. This year didn't have DEF correct?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Turtle was spot on. According to Edmunds the van is worth $13,500 and that absolute top dollar-dealer retail. This year didn't have DEF correct?
Correct, although it has a very troublesome EGR valve which throws it into limp mode, as well as a few transmission and intake system gotchas

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sounds like the one I was interested in a few months back, it had 98k miles for around the same price. I asked my sprinter mechanic what he thought about the price given the low miles and excellent body condition. He just laughed

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mileage and age are certainly important criteria when buying a used vehicle. Reading the odometer will show how many miles the vehicle has but not how these miles were accumulated or by who. If the Sprinter in question was driven by a little old expediter then 124,000 miles is nothing. If it was in a fleet and driven by several drivers in mostly city traffic a 12k miles is a lot.

As Brokcanadian mentioned, a 10 year old van might not be welcomed by many carriers. If you have a particular carrier in mind to lease on with, call before you buy to see if they will accept a 10 year old van.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What do you guys think of a 2006 Sprinter 2500 with the 158 wheelbase. It is in excellent shape and has 124k miles on it. The van is very clean with no rust but the seller wants $17k for it. Is this a decent price for a 10 year old van or would it be wiser to look for a newer model?
considering the 2016's are now going for about $37,000K "end of model" year deals depending on options......
BUT then again 2006 is the last yr of one of the best model yrs before the crappy design changed 2007's.

Reactions: RoadTime

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'd say its worth about 12,000-13,500. Wouldn't pay much more. Is that the one in Tampa that a dealer is selling?

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
considering the 2016's are now going for about $37,000K "end of model" year deals depending on options......
BUT then again 2006 is the last yr of one of the best model yrs before the crappy design changed 2007's.

That's a pretty good deal. Down here in Georgia that price is up by 5-6k for 2016. My 2015 cost more than that and I bought it 2 months ago and the dealer wouldn't go down a dollar more than what I got it for.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

That's a pretty good deal. Down here in Georgia that price is up by 5-6k for 2016. My 2015 cost more than that and I bought it 2 months ago and the dealer wouldn't go down a dollar more than what I got it for.
My 05 was 37k that was Detroit....I " heard" they were like 34k down south....

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

That's what you paid new at dealer back in 05? The invoice sticker on some says 27k... hmmm

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

The 2015's will drop in value when the 2018 comes out next year and everyone starts trading in. I'll be waiting. :) I gotta get out of this 06. I'm toast after 500-650 miles a day. I wanna be able to do 700-900 mile days with out feeling it as much! I'll need the 15 model to utilize the cross wind assist and also 4 cylinder so I can get same or better MPG as the 06. No sense regressing.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

The 2015's will drop in value when the 2018 comes out next year and everyone starts trading in. I'll be waiting. :) I gotta get out of this 06. I'm toast after 500-650 miles a day. I wanna be able to do 700-900 mile days with out feeling it as much! I'll need the 15 model to utilize the cross wind assist and also 4 cylinder so I can get same or better MPG as the 06. No sense regressing.
That was my thinking if I were to buy a new one

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

That's what you paid new at dealer back in 05? The invoice sticker on some says 27k... hmmm
I heard there was some good prices going around it sounds like you got a real good dealor I got royally screwed LOL

Reactions: ntimevan

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Somebody slap me, I've been looking at Promasters (and transits)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Somebody slap me, I've been looking at Promasters (and transits)
Oh you mean the Fiat? LOL
Get a real Van!!

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh you mean the Fiat? LOL
Get a real Van!!
Test drove one and to my surprise it wasn't horrible - actually kind of nifty

The MPG is better than even the 4 cyl sprinter, (highly scientific forum reading test method) and I don't have to try and crack the ECU in case of emissions snafu

Course I'll change my mind again tomorrow