On the Road Recipes

NightDriver

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Someone mentioned Ziploc Zip n' Steam bags a long time ago, but I can't find the thread now.

We used them all summer to steam up fresh veggies, whether to devour as is or use in a recipe (like steaming new potatoes for a fresh spinach and potato salad, or quickly blanching asparagus for a breakfast scramble, or steaming field fresh corn on the cob for a salty-buttery feast). They perform really well and cleanup is a quick pivot and a three point shot into the trashcan. Love that!

I bring them up again because I came across a web site with lots of recipes using them as the cooking method. Included are recipes featuring fish and poultry, as well as lots of fresh veggies:

Recipes - Ziploc® brand

Can't wait to try that Sesame Garlic Broccoli.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
In the latest issue of Land Line magazine there is an article about cooking on the road.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
I have started spending the weekends cooking our meals for the next week or two, and vacuum sealing it. Some of our favorites are fajitas, tacos, spaghetti and meatballs, shrimp fried rice, red beans and rice. I also make fudge, mouse, and cheesecakes.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Jenny I talked with another driver this past weekend that also prepares all of their meals this way. I think that is a great idea and I will concentrate more on getting that done. Great list of foods also.

Do you have any ideas for breakfasts? That is a meal I struggle with as I get up so much earlier then Bob I need to make something or heat up something for breakfast that does not make a lot of noise to create.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Just saw this for some reason. Easy things we do for breakfast:
I buy precooked turkeh sausage patties and crumbles, use them for easy breakfast tacos. Egg beaters cook up in the microwave nice and easy in just a few minutes. You can make an omelette or scrambled eggs with them. I have a toaster so we have bagels, toasts etc. I also use egg beaters to make french toast. I buy the pancake mix in a jar that you add water and shake. This morning we had christmas pancakes.
ajygaveb.jpg
e2a9eran.jpg

I have made ALL kinds of things using our skillet.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
IMG_0447.jpg

Asparagus & Ham twice baked potatoes

2 Baking Potatoes
bunch of Asparagus cut into 1/2" pieces
1 cup diced ham
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup shredded cheese I used smoked cheddar
pepper
1/2 stick butter

Bake potatoes in microwave until a fork can be easily inserted. Cut off top 1/3rd and set aside to cool.

Using rice cooker add about 2" of water and place the Asparagus in the steamer. Steam until Asparagus just starts to get tender.

Mix melted butter with onion, asparagus, diced ham, and pepper to taste. When potatoes are cool enough to handle scoop out the potato GENTLY if they tear it will still work they are just not as easy to handle. Place the scooped out potato with the Asparagus mixture and mash the potato in with the ingredients.

Place this mixture back in the potato and pile high and then top with the cheese. I placed the extra Asparagus mixture in a bowl to be eaten later. Microwave until cheese is melted and everything is warm.

About 386 Calories.

Adrian1hv

Not a Member
Industry Supplier
tell me whether it is possible to pour buckwheat kefir( it is from the evening and in the morning to drink it?) Google

TaylorBlake

New Recruit

Hawaiian Ham and Cheese Sliders​

Ingredients:​

• 3/4 cup melted Butter
  • 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1 tsp Brown Sugar
  • 1 tbsp Poppy Seeds
  • 2 tsp Dried Minced Onion
  • 12 King's Hawaiian Dinner Rolls
  • 9 oz thin sliced Deli Ham
  • 8 oz thin sliced Swiss Cheese
Making them is easy!
In a small bowl, combine butter, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, poppy seeds, and dried onion. Slice the rolls horizontally and place the bottom halves in a greased or buttered 9"x13" dish. Top rolls with the sliced ham. Top the ham with the sliced cheese and place the other halves of the rolls on top. Brush or pour the butter mixture over the tops of the sandwiches. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the tops of the sandwiches are browned. Separate the sandwiches and serve!

TaylorBlake

New Recruit

Mozzarella in Carozza (Italian-Style Fried Cheese Sandwiches)​

Ingredients​

• 6 oz. sliced mozzarella
  • 8 slices white sandwich bread
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup plain bread crumbs, preferably homemade
  • Vegetable oil, for frying
  1. Divide the mozzarella slices over 4 slices of the bread. Season with salt and black pepper to taste and cover with the remaining slices to make 4 sandwiches. Remove the crusts and halve the sandwiches diagonally.
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the flour, eggs, and bread crumbs in three separate bowls. Dredge one sandwich triangle in the flour, then coat with the egg and then the bread crumbs, and place it on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches.
  3. Line a large plate with paper towels. Into a large Dutch oven set over medium-high heat, pour the oil to a depth of 2 inches and attach a deep-fry thermometer. When the temperature reads 350°F, fry the sandwiches in batches until crisp and golden, flipping once, about 2 minutes. Use tongs to transfer to the plate to absorb any excess oil, and serve immediately.
  4. YUM

meciasmorocco

Not a Member
Fleet Owner
*Beef jerky. *Beans are good (let soak overnight in water), because dried they don't take up much room, but mix up the types and spices you can get some different dishes. *I've never used it...but it seems like they make dehydrated food for long camping trips. I would try out a couple flavors before you actually pack in bulk. *Oatmeal and dried fruit.