Ohio Class C

mccll01

Active Expediter
Researching
Does anyone know if when going from a regular (Class D) to a Class C, is a driving test required?
I have seen it answered as yes and no. Also, is an endorsement required with the license?
Just trying to figure out if I need to rent a yellow or orange van.

Thanks All

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does anyone know if when going from a regular (Class D) to a Class C, is a driving test required?
I have seen it answered as yes and no. Also, is an endorsement required with the license?

Thanks All
Check with your local DMV they should have all your answers.

mccll01

Active Expediter
Researching
The Ohio BMV site has no good info. Over the past two
days I have spent over an hour on hold. Got to love state
government. Thought I would try the easier route.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Ohio BMV site has no good info. Over the past two
days I have spent over an hour on hold. Got to love state
government. Thought I would try the easier route.
You may have to visit them in person to get your answer.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

Thanks All
A Class D is a regular operator licence and a Class C is a Commercial Drivers License. You will have to take a driving test when moving up from one class of vehicle to another, and you'll have to take it in the class of vehicle you want the license to be used for.

In the case of a Class C, that means taking the test in a vehicle designed for hauling more than 16 passengers, or a school bus with a GVWR of less than 26.001 pounds, or any vehicle at all that is transporting hazardous material which requires placards.

No need to rent a yellow or orange van, since any vehicle that is not a Class A or B will work, including your personal car (unless you're actually looking to get a passenger endorsement, in which case you'll need to bus).

When taking the driving test for a Class C in a cargo van {or a Prius} the test is about how you handle a CMV while hauling placarded HAZMAT. Bring aware of things like stopping at a railroad crossing, being aware {even in a cargo van) of bridge clearance heights, knowing how to set out emergency triangles in the event of a roadside breakdown. Basically, the examiner will want to check to see if you know the rules that apply to you when hauling HAZMAT, whether you're in your car, a van, or any other non A or B vehicle.