Obama Says -- Carrier JOBS Leaving for MEXICO - "They are not coming back"

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Nice positive response,,,as usual , OB gives the same old response. A 40,50 or 60 year old is reluctant to train again for something new...if anyone has ever interviewed for a job, you know the feeling you get when the dude interviewing you is 30 years old,,,been there and done that...PS- thank goodness for the world of expediting, they will hire you ......imho.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, since Obama took office in 2009, the U.S. has lost a net of about 303,000 manufacturing jobs. Of the 297,000 "new" manufacturing jobs "created by" Obama since 2012 (far fewer than the one million he promised), a disturbing percentage, something like 48% of them, have been filled by H1B visas.

Trump's not even president yet and he managed to get Carrier to reverse course on outsourcing jobs, has Apple exploring the possibility of moving iPhone production to the US, other companies doing the same, and has China's state-run media in panic mode writing "we will crush you in manufacturing" op-eds.

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
Democrats are for the rich and use the unemployed and poor for votes we all can't work retail for the rich

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nice positive response,,,as usual , OB gives the same old response. A 40,50 or 60 year old is reluctant to train again for something new...if anyone has ever interviewed for a job, you know the feeling you get when the dude interviewing you is 30 years old,,,been there and done that...PS- thank goodness for the world of expediting, they will hire you ......imho.
expediting will take on any old crony....I typed this didn't I?.....LOL

Reactions: Moot

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
amazing when the President of the United States walks into a boardroom with a.... What can we do for you? What will it take?.attitude.....it can be done...

Reactions: RoadTime

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
amazing when the President of the United States walks into a boardroom with a.... What can we do for you? What will it take?.attitude.....it can be done...
Call me a skeptic if you will, but we've heard things like this before. Only time will tell if Carrier keeps their word.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Call me a skeptic if you will, but we've heard things like this before. Only time will tell if Carrier keeps their word.
thing is....were they reconsidering anyhow?.....and just using this as a political tool for some extra government contracts?.....we peasants will never know...

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The cluelessness of Obama. "How is he going to do that? Renegotiate a deal? Wave a magic wand?"

Ummm yeah, pretty much

a3b09da3a15c90d0814673fcca6cb12c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
as the news comes out the "deal" is in the small print.....as with Ford they were never any planned job losses...just shifting production around....still moving 2 models out of Michigan to the NEW Mexico plant BUT replacing them with new models...and the planned Escape increase in production will occur in Mexico rather then Louisville with the Lincoln now staying...ok NO job losses...BUT NO new assembly jobs created either...other then where whoever gets to make the parts for them....

Now the Carrier deal.....$7 Million dollars payoff to keep 1,000 jobs here and undisclosed "Favours" for future Military contracts?
The parent company here? United Technologies....also owns...Tada..."Pratt and Whitney" biggie supplier to the military.
end conclusion IMO...so far smoke and mirrors...

IMO Trump will actually have to produce solid proof in the spring to keep his promises to be corporate friendly..before we see any jobs actually created, so far I'll credit him with at least plugging the hole...

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not my writing but i thought it was a good explanation.

For those of you who can't figure out the deal Trump made with Carrier, they get $7,000,000. In tax incentives over a 10 year period, that is $700,000 per year, now that seems like a lot but if you divide that by the population in Indiana that's less than 25 cents per person, now I'm not a mathematical genius but if you multiply 1000 jobs at an average yearly salary of say $40,000 you come up with $40,000,000 yearly payroll. Now we have to assume federal,state and local taxes will be deducted, and they usually take 30% + r- so that would be about $13,000,000 returned to their respective coffers (see what just happened) made that $7,000,000 back plus some, now Carrier is going to invest $16,000,000 so I figure they are going to remodel and retool,probably gonna create jobs with taxable income there also, well when that's all done they will need materials like steel, aluminum and copper,someone has to manufacturer that henceforth more jobs and taxable income. All these materials and supplies will not magically appear on site so I figure they will come via truck or rail so I'm guessing those folks are going to get paid and taxed also not to mention the outrageous federal fuel tax paid. Next is the 1000 people who have these jobs,they will probably all live within 50 miles or less of the plant,they will spend money going to and coming from work,people will be needed at coffee shops,gas stations,diners and corner bars all through the day ,the whole time people who want to work will be working and building a future in America for America. Do the math for yourself there's a possible $400,000,000 in gross payroll and $130,000,000 in taxes over a 10 year period,not a bad return for a $7,000,000 tax incentive and don't forget the additional revenue from the construction, transportation and local businesses it all ads up

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yup. The tax break, when you figure everything in there, works out to about $850 per job per year. About a week's pay. Hardly the "corporate welfare" the left is painting it to be. But the left would rather see those jobs lost if it means a corporate tax break. Funny how they don't see Obama's bailout of the auto industry as corporate welfare.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In the Op's video, Obama mentions someone (he can't say his name)* of having a magic wand to bring jobs back. He goes on to say this person (Trump) claims to be able to negotiate a better deal but his answer is no answer. No answer? His answer is and has been tax breaks.

Obama also talks about new industries like clean energy, 3-D printing and nano technology as the jobs of the future. Sure they are but it still takes blue collar jobs to roll the steel, transport the stuff, assemble it and all the downstream suppliers that contribute.

*Is Trump the new "T" word being even more vile than the "N" word?