Numbers

Benny Boy

New Recruit
Researching
Good Morning,

I am still undergoing research on sprinter van jobs. Like everything else numbers is key. I know people ask the same questions over and over. At this moment are sprinter van jobs worth getting into ? I live near the largest in land port. I have see a lot of sprinter vans on the road as well as resting at parking lots.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Local is a different ballgame, I use that to survive between "expedite" runs. Buying a 3000 dollar sprinter sure helped the profitability

Reactions: RoadTime

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The cheapest one ;)

Look on truck talk here or head over to sprinter-source.com and dive in, you'll find out more than you ever wanted to know

Last edited:

Benny Boy

New Recruit
Researching
I meant can't be down. Probably pay the breakdown. Time is money. No point of getting 3000 sprinter for 10 repairs. I guess shopping for a decent one is more feasible .

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I do my own repairs, such as they are - pre 2007 are pretty reliable.

I'm sure someone not as radical as me will chime in. I can't figure out how anyone with a newer van that gets repairs at a shop can afford to eat...to your original question, no sprinter van jobs are not worth getting into, but if you must, there are ways to stack the deck in your favor

I have been doing this 10 years now with millions of miles behind me, after a 200,000 mile year the only difference between a brand new van and one like mine is the sticker price in my opinion...no matter what the year, miles are miles, they become used quick in expedite

(Also the time is money thing made me laugh, no offense and it will probably not make sense to you but repeat that a year from now after you've been living at a truck stop for a week:D)

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Where at are you in South Texas? There may be some local stuff available down there.

Anywhere along the border is is the worst for cargo van expediting, because there are probably 5 loads going down into Mexico for every one that comes out. That's why the truckstops in Laredo look like they're really just used cargo van lots. They're all just sitting there, sweatin' to the oldies.

Reactions: brokcanadian

indycolts

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Agreed on Laredo and the same can be said of other places. My experience has only been 6 months but learning quicky that the great paying run to a place like Laredo, TX or Ontario, CA is usually followed by an acknowledgement that it then becomes necessary to move to a better freight lane. Drove empty from San Francisco to Amarillo, TX which resulted in a productive week but that's wear and tear on my vehicle.

I'm out of upstate NY which is provng a great way to start a 1 - 2 week run. The company I independently contracted with gets customer runs which always prove to be profitable and most are long distance which means the trip gets off to a great start. It's when I have to rely on them getting loads off load boards that the frustration sets in. However I have begun turning down loads if loaded mileage versus my take don't meet specific totals. Patience is sometimes a great way to a better payday. I definitely have a short coming doing this though and that is learning how to live in the van more frequently.

Reactions: Turtle