Non-CDL with air brakes ?

bolter82

Expert Expediter
In the latest issue of " Popular Mechanics " Jay Leno test drove the new International pickup . This vehicle has a gvw of 25,999 but has air brakes . I have never heard of a truck with a gvw under 26,000 having air brakes . Wouldn't a CDL be required to operate this truck ?

I currently drive a straight truck registered under 26000 with air brakes. No cdl needed.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I currently drive a straight truck registered under 26000 with air brakes. No cdl needed.

Me too my international 4300 is rated at 26,000 my freightliner m2 was also rated 26,000 I've been driving them for years and have never encountered resistance from the dot about it both have air brakes . I opted for this style truck as sometimes I've needed non cdl drivers to drive to shows. Never an issue!!!!!
My 42' Motorhome diesel pusher has air brakes and a 33,000 gvw never been an issue.

sewmun

Seasoned Expediter
Just today, I bought my first truck, a 26,000GVW Int'l 4700 with air brakes. One salesman told my I would not need a CDL, the other told me I would. I've been driving box trucks for a few years without a CDL and no a/b, but need one or not I plan to get a class C cdl before I get on the road in this truck. My brother is an A-driver and although he doesn't yet know it he is soon going to be giving driving lessons.

Instead of starting a new thread, can someone tell me what kind of mileage I can expect? 7 sp (granny & o/d), 410 gears, 22.5 tires, 210 hp. This is a '98 w/278,000 actual miles, a sleeper and a liftgate. I've always thought I would at least get 10-12 mpg loaded (granted, at no more than 60 mph), but the salesman said only 6-9.

I have a FL70 that had the 4.10 gear when I got it & had to drive it 600mi home with it.The first thing when I got home was called the local truck parts & found a 3.42 gear.It cruises great 62mph is 1700 rpm & gets close to 12 mpg.Best $500.00 I spent my son & I changed it in a couple of hrs.I have driven to WY & TX it slows in the hills alittle but hardly ever have to downshift unless I'm really heavy.

cranis

Expert Expediter
Driver
In the latest issue of " Popular Mechanics " Jay Leno test drove the new International pickup . This vehicle has a gvw of 25,999 but has air brakes . I have never heard of a truck with a gvw under 26,000 having air brakes . Wouldn't a CDL be required to operate this truck ?
In Pennsylvania, only need a regular license. I have driven a few with air brakes under 26k. But predict this will change do to political bribery..

cranis

Expert Expediter
Driver
I was informed by several "stops" that the enforcement officers are to abide by your home state license issued.
For example, We had a driver working for us that had a NEW YORK license(We are based out of PA) and driving a under 26 truck, was told he needed Air brake on license. But I was not because I was licensed in PA. I think but not sure , you need a cdl with air brake for cv with a gross weight(door tag weight) of 18k>..