NON-CDL TRUCK can I add tag axle... questions

mebedave

Rookie Expediter
Hello my first post here,so don't be too hard on me!!
I'm not a commercial trucker but own a construction company with trucks and trailers requiring CDL, so my knowledge is very limited. I found a truck I'm looking to buy rated under 26001 lbs. Can I add a tag or pusher axle so I can haul more weight. My plan is to use this truck as is (under CDL) for a year or more that non-cdl drivers can drive, later I want to add an rear axle so I can haul more weight. I've done this with trucks over the 26001 lbs rating (CDL trucks) adding axles to get more load capacity, I know that's okay, I'm just not sure the same rules apply to under 26001 trucks? I live in Kansas, we do not as far as I know reclassify the truck(for now) when adding axles,just add and drive. later I'm moving to New Jersey and I want to take this truck with me, I don't know their laws, any input on New Jersey laws that might be a game changer with this idea will be much appreciated! Thank You

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Move from Kansas to New Jersey? Have they checked your meds lately? Sorry, couldn't resist. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your research. I'm sure someone that knows the answer will be along soon.

mebedave

Rookie Expediter
Move from Kansas to New Jersey? Have they checked your meds lately? Sorry, couldn't resist. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your research. I'm sure someone that knows the answer will be along soon.

LOL...Yes I know, but my kids live there and want to be closer to them. So I'm pulling up stakes here and moving

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, I guess if you can't rescue your kids from their own insanity the next best thing is getting close to watch over them. :)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Bad idea on the axle. If you add one, you no longer would be a 26k truck. Secondly, it may be illegal as many non cdl trucks don't have air brakes. Hydraulic brakes are not made to support stopping abilities with weight well above 26k.
As for Kansas to New Jersey, might want to think that one through? Move the kids to Kansas. They will thank you later.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Bad idea on the axle. If you add one, you no longer would be a 26k truck.
Actually you would be, as long as the truck never weighs more than 26,000 pounds. <rimshot>

You need a CDL to drive a truck that has a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 or more, OR if the truck weighs 26,001 or more regardless of its rating.

Commercial motor vehicle (CMV) means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle—

(2) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more), whichever is greater;

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Welcome.

I looked into this same thing three or so years ago and found it would be cheaper and easier to find a heavier truck.
You cannot simply add an axle to a non CDL truck and be legal to drive over 26000 lbs.
You can declassify the weight rating a truck but once declassed your basicly done. To reup the weight class of a declassed truck takes allot of time, mechanical inspections, money, and paperwork than the truck is worth. At best it may only be legal in your home state or it might not be approved and your out the money.

As for jersey they are strict with their truck enforcement due to the amount of truck traffic. But the fuel is cheap.

Be safe.
Bob Wolf.

Scotimier

Rookie Expediter
The fuel is cheap, but the taxes are unbelievable... Feel like paying $8k to $10k/ year in property taxes?

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, I can feel your pain with taxes and emissions testing. I live in the peoples republic of New York. Medium 10000 lbs and over and heavy duty 26000 lbs and over diesels are rumored to be required plug in emissions testing soon just like cars and light trucks. as well as Road side emissions testing.

mebedave

Rookie Expediter
Bad idea on the axle. If you add one, you no longer would be a 26k truck. Secondly, it may be illegal as many non cdl trucks don't have air brakes. Hydraulic brakes are not made to support stopping abilities with weight well above 26k.
As for Kansas to New Jersey, might want to think that one through? Move the kids to Kansas. They will thank you later.

This truck has air brakes.... Now I'm not yet to sure about the under 26001 thats just what the guy told me over the phone. Yes, I know what your going to say next..If it's air brakes then it must be CDL, but from what I've read there are air brake non-CDL trucks other there. I will not know all the facts for sure until this sunday when the guy gets home from out of town and I can see the truck for my self. The truck has a 22-24' box with lift gate, perfect to help make the move to NJ. then I want to make it into a flatbed. If the added axle is a bad idea, then it should make a good gooseneck pulling rig and lighter loads on the bed.

I think I will start a new thread about the diesel emissions for NJ, I sure do not want to buy something that I can not tag in NJ. I lived in California years ago and that smog emissions crap was a pain!!!

mebedave

Rookie Expediter
Don't forget the NJ diesel emissions testing...

Scotimier please tell me what you know about NJ emissions. I have a 97 chevy 3500 gas, I know has never had any emissions testing that I what to bring with me...love that truck!! Also what more can you tell me about the diesel emissions, is it for all years and weight class, and whats required?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yes, I know what your going to say next..If it's air brakes then it must be CDL, but from what I've read there are air brake non-CDL trucks other there.
Air brakes have nothing to do with a CDL. The CDL is about vehicle weight, not whether or not it has air brakes. You are correct, there are plenty of non-CDL trucks out there with air brakes, and you don't need a CDL to drive them.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If your truck is over 26k, then you would need an air brake endorsement on a CDL. Assuming of course that it has air brakes.

Scotimier

Rookie Expediter
I actually don't live in NJ. I work for a company in NJ, and like 90% of our staff, I commute from Pa so I can't really say much on the gas powered cars/light trucks.
Our diesel work trucks have to get an annual emissions test in addition to the normal federal inspections. All I know is that they hook up a computer to the truck, and they somehow measure the exhaust coming from the stack. It has to be within range for that year and model of truck, but there again I don't know the specifics. One of our older trucks couldn't pass the emissions test this past year and was retired from service, it wasn't worth putting money into it anymore.

mebedave

Rookie Expediter
I actually don't live in NJ. I work for a company in NJ, and like 90% of our staff, I commute from Pa so I can't really say much on the gas powered cars/light trucks.
Our diesel work trucks have to get an annual emissions test in addition to the normal federal inspections. All I know is that they hook up a computer to the truck, and they somehow measure the exhaust coming from the stack. It has to be within range for that year and model of truck, but there again I don't know the specifics. One of our older trucks couldn't pass the emissions test this past year and was retired from service, it wasn't worth putting money into it anymore.

Thank you Scotimier that give me some idea.