Noisy Brakes

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
I recently had my trucks front brake shoes and hardware replaced, the drums had no cracks or groves so they weren't replaced.

The problem is that when applying the brakes in reverse they make a growling noise...the brakes seem to work fine except for this problem.

Any Ideas would be helpful.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Is there a vibration in the floorboard when this happens? My KW does that. It's either brake dust build up, or you might have a rough spot on one of your drums. At least that what causes my truck to do it.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Sounds like its either brake dust, which I doubt depending on how new everything is, or a rough spot on the drums. I've got a rough spot on one of my drums and every so often that rough spot will get in just the right place to make it sound like the front end is about to fall off. In my case there isn't much I can do about it except replace the drums. My sister's father in law, who is also my mechanic, said its just one of those things. Not really worth fooling with. Though I've thought about seeing if a wire brush or fine grit sand paper might smooth it out. I've just been to nervous to try it.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
We used to have the same problem, years ago, and were told it was a combination of brake dust and "slop" in the brake hardware.
But we were also told it was ONLY annoying and to not worry about it.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Mine did the same thing, we took the wheels back off and took a file and knocked down the back edge of the brake shoes, no more noise

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Everyone!

I think I'll have the back edge of the shoes filed down next time it's at my friends shop in New Boston, Mi.