No Forced Dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
With regards to Panther, I am not aware of trucks getting knocked out of service. They did have a rash of it three years ago but nothing since then. Is this a van thing? We run straights and this has never been a issue.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thats why I have always belived in being an independant contractor or at least getting paid flat rate per job, piece, foot etc,.. Its fair in construction, mechanic, manufacturing, or driving in fact any job if you work you make money because your earnings reflect your work effort. If you turn down work or choose to screw off you wont make money, and eventualy be fired.

Bob Wolf
Wolf Trucking

Last edited:

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Does Load 1 have forced dispatch for contractors? No. You always have the option of turning the load down. Yes, you're dropped to the bottom of the board, but you knew that would happen. Company drivers do not have any option. That is forced dispatch.

With any carrier, not just Load 1, if you have a track record of turning down loads because you want only the "perfect" load you won't last long with that carrier. It's called "cherry picking"

Too many contractors look at one load at a time. On its face, it looks like a sound business decision. In reality, it isn't. One load leads to another and another, and so on. Sitting waiting for that "perfect"load, loses any profit you hope to make. You also are telling dispatch that you are not reliable.

It would be helpful if the original poster would come back and explain the reasons he was asked to leave.

Sent from my MB860 using EO Forums

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mam if I buy 2 boxes of popcorn ,do I get a discount ? No butter please it will spoil dinner.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does Load 1 have forced dispatch for contractors? No. You always have the option of turning the load down. Yes, you're dropped to the bottom of the board, but you knew that would happen. Company drivers do not have any option. That is forced dispatch.

With any carrier, not just Load 1, if you have a track record of turning down loads because you want only the "perfect" load you won't last long with that carrier. It's called "cherry picking"

Too many contractors look at one load at a time. On its face, it looks like a sound business decision. In reality, it isn't. One load leads to another and another, and so on. Sitting waiting for that "perfect"load, loses any profit you hope to make. You also are telling dispatch that you are not reliable.

It would be helpful if the original poster would come back and explain the reasons he was asked to leave.

Steve....many would say when there is a penalty attached, like being dropped to the bottom, then that is forced dispatch.....
At least the rule is upfront and in your face...we all know the circumstances of our decisions. And I think the majority of us agree with the rule....
There has always been that catch 22 situation....don't service a customers needs whether they be short or long loads....a chance of no future loads from that customer.....Some complain Load 1 doesn't have enough of it's own customers...now some complain they run short....my gawd men....this ain't a perfect world...

BTW...a turn down against you doesn't really do anything since we don't keep %'s....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
With regards to Panther, I am not aware of trucks getting knocked out of service. They did have a rash of it three years ago but nothing since then. Is this a van thing? We run straights and this has never been a issue.
In the van world Dave, a driver will do a load and go to sleep and stay in service...every once and awhile the driver will get caught short and a load will come up....if they refuse it because of lack of sleep....dispatch will ask when you are ready and put you out of service till the time you CAN accept a load.....Not like a straight where most times the driver has to take his 10 and dispatch knows this....

turritrans

Expert Expediter
I think it has to be a two way street

It's one thing for a carrier acting as a travel agency for drivers, same has to be said for the carrier not sending trucks to bad freight areas and getting drivers home as scheduled and keeping their word in that regard.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think it has to be a two way street

It's one thing for a carrier acting as a travel agency for drivers, same has to be said for the carrier not sending trucks to bad freight areas and getting drivers home as scheduled and keeping their word in that regard.

some drivers....O/O's live in a fantasy world of Me, Me, Me...it's all about Me....They care not for the carrier nor the customer....they think customers should live up to their expectations.....those are the ones I'd like to see tossed out the door....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
In the van world Dave, a driver will do a load and go to sleep and stay in service...every once and awhile the driver will get caught short and a load will come up....if they refuse it because of lack of sleep....dispatch will ask when you are ready and put you out of service till the time you CAN accept a load.....Not like a straight where most times the driver has to take his 10 and dispatch knows this....

That is a much different issue than knocking someone out of service for just a load refusal. Same thing with a driver that shows available but declines everything because their truck is being worked on. Those are different issues verses a dispatcher being an idiot.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
the rule makes no difference, there are certain times when you have to do them and times when doing them makes no sense. so you do what you need and if it drops you, well, dont whine.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I can think of very few reasons to turn down loads at Load 1. I'd be interested in the reason for doing so, especially since pay can't be one of them, as we never (or rarely) know what the pay is when we're offered the load.

SAY WHAT!!!!! , you are expected to accept loads that you don't even know what the pay is? how crazy is that?:confused:

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Steve....many would say when there is a penalty attached, like being dropped to the bottom, then that is forced dispatch.....
At least the rule is upfront and in your face...we all know the circumstances of our decisions. And I think the majority of us agree with the rule....
There has always been that catch 22 situation....don't service a customers needs whether they be short or long loads....a chance of no future loads from that customer.....Some complain Load 1 doesn't have enough of it's own customers...now some complain they run short....my gawd men....this ain't a perfect world...

BTW...a turn down against you doesn't really do anything since we don't keep %'s....

Ken...Maybe some look at as forced, but if you have an option of turning the load down, it isn't forced in the true sense of the word regardless of the consequences. In fact, dispatch should issue more turndowns than they do.

I agree about the me,me,me's. They are the reason the turndown rule exists. Carriers have to protect their customers.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
SAY WHAT!!!!! , you are expected to accept loads that you don't even know what the pay is?

Depends on your trust of your carrier. I never know what a load pays me, and I don't need to ask. But I'm paid by percentage not by the mile. I know my company, if we take a run, the money is good!

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
SAY WHAT!!!!! , you are expected to accept loads that you don't even know what the pay is? how crazy is that?:confused:

Common practice at load 1 because it works.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter

Im so used to the flat rate at C&M that I most often forget to ask the rate. When I have asked, I have gotten a number most every time. The exception is when its a cross border and the total bill has to be split up between myself and who ever takes the load across.

Im not going to make the claim that all of our loads pay great. All but one of my loads last week paid less than the flat rate my old carriers pays. But, those are the exception and when you run percentage, you have to understand that you take a hit on the cheaper runs and you gain on the better ones. My best paying load last week was the longest load by far and it paid 20% more (per mile) than the other 3 loads. All of those loads paid enough to meet my minimum per mile rate.

I have turned down a few loads, but not a lot. I have never seen any repurcussion that I know of anyway. I see it as I if I just keep taking loads I dont want, then dispatch will never be able to learn me and what kind of loads I prefer. Load1 dispatchers try pretty hard to keep everybody happy. I cant imagine a tougher job.

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ken...Maybe some look at as forced, but if you have an option of turning the load down, it isn't forced in the true sense of the word regardless of the consequences. In fact, dispatch should issue more turndowns than they do.

I agree about the me,me,me's. They are the reason the turndown rule exists. Carriers have to protect their customers.

ok we will call it persuasive dispatch.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter

Wow, in nothing Turtle wrote did I see him say "you are expected" to take a load that you don't know what it pays....when new people start at Load 1 (including myself) we all ask whats it paying me? But sas new people quickly find out, you aren't getting screwed by dispatch or the company...they aren't holding back or trying to get you to run on the cheap....and it just gets to the point, you just dont ask all the time...you trust them...LOL, I am more concerned with diamensions of the freight then I am with pay..and sometimes it like pulling teeth to get those....

Like Turtle said, his avg pay for all miles is considerably more then his avg pay for just loaded miles at his previous carrier...its all about how your carrier treats you and the trust you devolop..

Also as was pointed out, cross dock loads, LOL, i don't even look fir the amount on them until AFTER I deliver...but ill do them all day long...and know that I'll be taken care of....

As Turtle pointed out, Load 1 is not run like the "normal" carrier....LOL, one thing I haven't heard Turtle mention is DH...when posting to newbies, he tells them that you can figure 30% of your miles as DH....and from his passed experience, he'd be right...I am willing to bet he isn't near that now...:D

Its a different kind of company that isn't run the way any of you that haven't contracted with them would believe or understand.....The waiting list to contract with them isn't just hear say, its real for a reason.....:D

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maam , I need a big box of milk duds and a drink refill please.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.