newby with a non-cdl straight truck

eddieo

Rookie Expediter
I'm a diesel mechanic that accidentally got into a 24ft box truck with a lift gate and no sleeper, with brand new tires and only 150k miles, for less than 5k. I got my DOT number and I'm getting my DOT physical Monday. My question is, where do I go from here? should I get my mc# for household goods and fight on u ship or get a mc# for freight, and work with a load board or go for Expediting? I've got the time, no bills,and I live between Boston and Albany, NY I would really appreciate anyone's wisdom on where I should go from here. thanks, eddieo.

pwrwagn

Active Expediter
Look around. There's often local expediting, 3PL, and others, who hire on local people with trucks and liftgates to pick up and deliver.

I'd hire someone to drive the truck and do that for you, to pay for the truck... and keep wrenching to earn a living. I don't know what they pay diesel mechanics in MA, but I'll bet it's more than you will earn driving that truck around.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
You'll be hearing from a neighbor soon that will probably encourage you to go for it.

He may be up in the Utica, Ny area.