Cargo Van New to EO,looking to get in the industry.

Moses

New Recruit
Researching
Hello everyone ,my name is Moses I live in Atlanta,GA I'm new to EO I've been doing a lot of research online about expediting and I'm very interested in driving a cargo van for an owner to learn the industry and expanding later getting my CDL .I have no kids and very little family so that means I can stay on the road make some money and travel basically 24/7 which I think would be an amazing career path for me.I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has info on where or how I can get started .I know there's good and bad in any field and I weighed the pros & cons and this is what I truly want to do asap thank you and all feedback is welcome

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
One of the cons you're really going to want to weigh is the fact that it is currently the worst it's ever been for cargo vans in the expediting industry. The amount of cargo van and Sprinter freight, and the rates at which that freight moves, is at an all-time low. It's not just bad, it's bad, bad, bad. So, you won't make any money. Any by not any money, I mean you'll be thrilled if you can gross $1000 a week average on 1400-1500 miles. You'll clear about $400 per week after expenses.

Reactions: ajakapari

Moses

New Recruit
Researching
Thank you but also for me it's not all about the money although that is very important ,as I stated before I would like to learn the industry & get my CDL also I love to travel & my expenses would be very low Outside of Otr expenses.Is load 1 a company I should look into?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Your OTR expenses could wipe out the inexperienced financially in no time.

Your best bet is to drive for an owner first.

Moses

New Recruit
Researching
Yes that's exactly what I'm looking to start with,drive for an owner and gain experience & knowledge of the industry and go from there .

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes that's exactly what I'm looking to start with,drive for an owner and gain experience & knowledge of the industry and go from there .
Ah, got ya. You did indeed say that.
My bad.

Guess I should pay more attention to what is written.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello everyone ,my name is Moses I live in Atlanta,GA I'm new to EO I've been doing a lot of research online about expediting and I'm very interested in driving a cargo van for an owner to learn the industry and expanding later getting my CDL .I have no kids and very little family so that means I can stay on the road make some money and travel basically 24/7 which I think would be an amazing career path for me.I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has info on where or how I can get started .I know there's good and bad in any field and I weighed the pros & cons and this is what I truly want to do asap thank you and all feedback is welcome

Welcome to EO.

Try to call some of the carriers list on the ad page on this site to see if they have the need for drivers.

As Turtle mentioned above, it rough and tuff right now. So, even if you get the position, you may be sitting and waiting for load for days and won't make any money.

If you decided to go for it and learn the rope, you should come in with 6 months worth of savings that will pay for your personnel and business expenses. That way you can focus on learning about expediting and not to worry where's the next meal will come from.

Since you are interested in getting the CDL, personally, I think you should take this route first. Then save the money and buy your own van/truck and become an Owner Operator...if the expediting is still around (humour).

I admire your enthusiasm and inspiration. I wish you the best of luck. Following is the link to "free" CDL school in Atlanta. Just in case you want to check it out.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...t6WirKIK6AiX8PE3Q&sig2=PrvGFZjQ5MfV2oRn2LjB6A

Reactions: Moot and Ftransit

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you do get on with a fleet owner operate the van as if you owned it. Keep track of all fuel, maintenance, rate paid to the van etc. This will give you valuable input as to whether or not you can make it as an O/O. Good luck!

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member

Don't miss this event: Expedite Expo 2016 - July 15 - 16. Lexington Convention Center. Lexington, Kentucky.

rherrmann24

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
One of the cons you're really going to want to weigh is the fact that it is currently the worst it's ever been for cargo vans in the expediting industry. The amount of cargo van and Sprinter freight, and the rates at which that freight moves, is at an all-time low. It's not just bad, it's bad, bad, bad. So, you won't make any money. Any by not any money, I mean you'll be thrilled if you can gross $1000 a week average on 1400-1500 miles. You'll clear about $400 per week after expenses.

Man I wish I was clearing $400 a week after expenses, but with only averaging 300-400 miles a week - not even close, in fact not even clearing at all. But you're right that it's bad, bad, bad out here. And even that may be slightly understating it.

Moses

New Recruit
Researching
Welcome to EO.

Try to call some of the carriers list on the ad page on this site to see if they have the need for drivers.

As Turtle mentioned above, it rough and tuff right now. So, even if you get the position, you may be sitting and waiting for load for days and won't make any money.

If you decided to go for it and learn the rope, you should come in with 6 months worth of savings that will pay for your personnel and business expenses. That way you can focus on learning about expediting and not to worry where's the next meal will come from.

Since you are interested in getting the CDL, personally, I think you should take this route first. Then save the money and buy your own van/truck and become an Owner Operator...if the expediting is still around (humour).

I admire your enthusiasm and inspiration. I wish you the best of luck. Following is the link to "free" CDL
Thanks for the info I actually just been approved for free schooling here in ATLANTA through the state program.I was already going through the process taking classes when I learned about expediting.Now im approved &will be starting school in the next 2-3weeks I just want to learn the industry as a whole to see what area fits me best.I plan on getting all my endorsements and go from there.I will be an O/O eventually in whatever area of the industry I stick with but for now im like a sponge and want to learn everything possible thats why I wanted to do some runs in a van prior to me knowing I was approved for school.It seems pretty easy in a van to get started.
a