New driver.....owner operator is it the answer?

Israel G

New Recruit
Hello:
I got my CDL about 6 weeks ago. Regrettably 0 experience. I've been searching for employment but...
Looking at my situation from another angle I'm thinking of getting an used truck and start out on my own.
Starting out own my own is it as intimidating as it is exiting but I guess if we do not try we'll never know.
I am thinking about flatbed trucking....looks like I can find loads online and bid on them.
What do you guys think of my idea? Other than bidding online any other way to get work?
Steps/ papers that I'll need when starting out on my own?
I still do not disregard the idea of working for a company for a while if someone hires me either here in Canada or even in the USA in case anyone knows about a company that hires newbies.
Thanks everyone for your time, ideas, pros and cons....any comment is valuable to me.
Thanks.
Mr.Beefy

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Other than bidding online any other way to get work?
Steps/ papers that I'll need when starting out on my own?
It may be beneficial for you to work for somebody and learn some of the basic elements of the trucking business before investing in a truck. Not doing so is a sure fire way to financial failure.

Reactions: Moot

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Calgary. Not a lot of expedite up there, but plenty of trucks.

AnneM

Recruiter
Recruiter
Check out some of the larger Flatbed companies and see if they have Canadian offices and offer a training program. Flatbed is a whole different type of trucking, there is a whole lot more to learn!
Good Luck!

Reactions: Moot

laicox

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you have access to XM radio I would check out the RoadDog Trucking channel 146 ... especially Keven Rutherford at midnite EST or on Sat and Sun at 4:pM EST. www.letstruck.com

Hope that helps...