Heating / Cooling Need help with Electric heater!!!

medajke

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello everyone
I need help with choosing electric fan heater for a box truck ( sleeper 90x33x40 )
I do have generator 3500 watts

I tried 2 different electric heaters from Lowes ( heater and fan heater) so the last one little bit better but still not enough to.

It was -2F outside, but winter coming late.

If someone had any experience with it, please HELP!

Thanks

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You came to the right place to be told that electric heaters are a waste of time in this application. They gobble up enormous power-- so you have to have a generator to run them--- but they can't produce anywhere near the heat you need. They're designed to help in a small space where you already have heat-- from a central air system for example-- and are no match for keeping your sleeper warm.

Your choices: On the cheap, you might get by with a "Big Buddy" propane-powered heater. Spend the money and do it right, go with the Espar heaters--- these devices run off of your main fuel tank and can keep your sleeper warm in everything except the most severe cold, when you probably will have to bite the bullet and get a motel room.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't think a propane heater is such a good idea in that small of a sleeper
You're probably right. In that size sleeper, there's a ventilation problem,(a propane heater requires lots of oxygen, and if it doesn't get it the carbon-monoxide danger becomes all too real) and he would be forced to use the small tanks. Also it could be a fire-hazard.

Reckon if he wants to stay warm he'll just have to bite the bullet and pay for the Espar.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
He's still probably thinking, "I've got a generator, so I can make the electric heater work."

Have to consider that is gonna take a big heater to heat that thang, so the generator is going to be running at or near 100% all the time. Not only is that a lot of hours on the generator, and more frequent oil changes, but that's a lot of gasoline. Which means an external fuel tank unless you want to get up every few hours and get out in the cold or rain to refuel. Not to mention the huge "mess with it" factor.

The propane heater had its own "mess with it" factors, in addition to the carbon monoxide factor (everyone running gassers has a carbon monoxide detector, I trust).

The Espar heater gives you hassle free warmth and comfort.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Who needs a Heater .... the coolest temp. while i was sleeping was 14 ° f .. this winter... 2 comfortors and 1 blanket on me works great ... once it gets below 10 ° then 1 sleeping bag plus 1 comfortor . 15 minutes before wake up time i start my Van so its warm getting dressed ...
PS i do carry Big buddy along for Emergency use or an overnight stay in Fargo .....

Reactions: Treadmill

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Everyone out here should have a carbon monoxide detector in the truck, even the ones running diesel engines. OK, it's not THAT critical for big trucks, but if a car (an older one especially) parks next to you and idles all night, you could be sucking up a lot of carbon monoxide. That's more for diesel vans that park in the car lots, but big trucks can be affected, too.

Also, carbon monoxide detectors are only good for about 5 years, so replace accordingly.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just did some quick math. I used a Honda 2000 with a 1500 watt heater for a couple weeks this fall when my espar went out. In one season you would easily burn a thousand dollars worth of gas In the genny figuring 12 hours a day. That grand or just a little morewould get you a d2 bought and installed. In one season it would pay for itself, after that your saving money every year.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just did some quick math. I used a Honda 2000 with a 1500 watt heater for a couple weeks this fall when my espar went out. In one season you would easily burn a thousand dollars worth of gas In the genny figuring 12 hours a day. That grand or just a little more would get you a d2 bought and installed. In one season it would pay for itself, after that your saving money every year.
Exactly a Honda 2000 is only good for temporary heat at best.....in manual there is a paragraph..."Do NOT exceed 80% of capacity for extended periods of time" or risk burning out inverter so effectively that 2000 watt generator is only a 1600 watt unit...get the Espar..its tax deductable...

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Exactly a Honda 2000 is only good for temporary heat at best.....in manual there is a paragraph..."Do NOT exceed 80% of capacity for extended periods of time" or risk burning out inverter so effectively that 2000 watt generator is only a 1600 watt unit...get the Espar..its tax deductable...
I would get an Espar heater if you would Lend ME ... Juju's credit card .....:p

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
map_specnewsdct-43_ltst_4namus_enus_650x366.jpg

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
Your electric heaters will work fine if your space is properly insulated. 1 1500 watt heater puts out about 5000 BTUs of heat.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
yes and if you run this with a Honda 2000 it'll burn about 1 gallon every 5 hours or so, if heater is on full
blast...and you have to tote along a gas can with ya....and between the the Honda and the gas its up to an extra 100 lbs of weight ..and not to forget about that extra oil for the changes as well....everything has a cost....

acvox24

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been using a space heater and a Honda 2000 for 5 years. The trick is insulation. I have a 700/1500 watt space heater. Even at zero degrees I only use the 700 setting. You will go through 2 gallons in 12 hours though. So and external tank is needed.