Need advice on purchasing a used straight truck

Islam Elfarra

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm looking to get into the expediter straight truck business. The cheapest truck i found is 2006 Mercedes M2 with a 24 ft box, sleeper and fridge for only $8000 CAD. However it has the scary 1.2million km's. He says it runs and drives great with no issues. I'm sure i can get it to $5k. He has $18k worth of recent work done to it (not sure yet) with paperwork. My question is how much would an engine rebuild cost? What do you guys think of taking this route of buying a used truck with high km and rebuilding the engine? Wouldn't rebuilding the engine be like a new engine and last for another "1.2 million" kms or somewhere in the high km's? Thank you in advance

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There's a lot of variables to those questions. IF it were my truck, I would know how it was driven and be able to consider a rebuild. What engine is it? What condition is the rest of the truck? Transmission, same mileage? rear end, same mileage? Condition of frame and supports?(if it is a "northern" truck , the underside would be a concern). How is the front end? bushings? bearings?
As for an engine rebuild and expecting "like new", depends on who does the work and how capable they are, as well as whether the rebuild includes accessories, wiring, pulleys,new or reman parts, etc.
A lot to consider.
That's not to say it can not be done.

Erick Jones

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
Ther is always a reason that people selling trucks..... And there is always a bigger reason when they selling them cheap ...... Eeeeew he put 18 k in last 500k miles ? Good deal??

bigrig33

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Ther is always a reason that people selling trucks..... And there is always a bigger reason when they selling them cheap ...... Eeeeew he put 18 k in last 500k miles ? Good deal??
id rather buy cheap n rebuild,, other than spending 28-40k and possible do the same thing shortly after, or buy barley used or brand new down the line in the future when u have the reserves or capital to do so, anyhow

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I'm sure a used engine rebuild wouldn't cost as much, gotta be a more affordable way to fix a major expense like so
Let me know how that works out as just replacing parts won't do it ! The main and rod bearings alone are almost 1500 piston rings will cost another 100 per set keep in mind there are no aftermarket parts made for these motors and price injectors they're over 12grand for 6 I've done the math, if your gonna rebuild an Mbe motor gonna do it right or keep throwing parts at it think money pit 1 million miles on anything is still a million miles of worn parts wanna but a used motor ? ImageUploadedByEO Forums1450697400.349233.jpg

bigrig33

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Let me know how that works out as just replacing parts won't do it ! The main and rod bearings alone are almost 1500 piston rings will cost another 100 per set keep in mind there are no aftermarket parts made for these motors and price injectors they're over 12grand for 6 I've done the math, if your gonna rebuild an Mbe motor gonna do it right or keep throwing parts at it think money pit 1 million miles on anything is still a million miles of worn parts wanna but a used motor ? View attachment 12762
maby not, I'd imagine a engine rebuild would run 18-25k, so costly anyhow whatever it takes to get going then buy new or build ur own expedite truck starting with the cab and chassis

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
With Ceva that would be to old put on
Also need to see maint 's record
Also has to be less than 5 year's old,
That way you will get 4 or 5 year's use out
Than move up to better unit
If you lease new one would be better, not as much down
Have warranty for a few years