Cargo Van Navigating the Transportation Industry

youngndumb

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Got excited recently learning about expediting. Coming to this forum it seems so were a lot of other people. The consensus seems to be that the expediting market is saturated with vans and making money is not something you can do by accident.

Enter me. Took a manufacturing job out of high school as an operator, which was new and exciting at first, but is reaching the end of its bear-ability. Three years ago I bought a 2012 4.6 E250 cargo, a decision which I have alternated between loving and hating. I still have 3 years left on the payments :(, but was looking to use this vehicle to do better than I am now (14/HR 40 Hrs). It looks like I would have to settle for just the more freedom aspect with expediting.

First I would like to know if there are other ways you older drivers have used to make money with a van while the OTR expediting market was slow. Local delivery services seemed like they already had their own vehicles. Even with current market conditions do you enjoy what you do for a living? Is there a high risk of losing money doing this?

Also, I want to make sure I understand the basics of expediting correctly. I would establish a contract with a company, and they would have various loads I can pick and choose from? Or is it more of a here is what you're taking to where type deal? I would just be paid in cents per mile and have no benefits or anything like that. I would need private insurance and perhaps a CDL? I found this in the FAQ but it looks like it went unanswered:
"got-my-own-personal-cargo-van-thinking-about-chang" (had to delete link)

Also, thinking of driving a truck is what got me thinking about the van, but the up front cost of driving school plus the possibility that I may suck at truck driving kind of scared me off. As does seeing how carelessly people drive around trucks. I am at least comfortable with the van. Is the profitably of truck driving worth the risk?

Thanks for any and all insight. :)

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got excited recently learning about expediting.

Also, I want to make sure I understand the basics of expediting correctly. I would establish a contract with a company, and they would have various loads I can pick and choose from? Or is it more of a here is what you're taking to where type deal? I would just be paid in cents per mile and have no benefits or anything like that. I would need private insurance and perhaps a CDL? I found this in the FAQ but it looks like it went unanswered:
"got-my-own-personal-cargo-van-thinking-about-chang" (had to delete link)

:)

Yes signing on with a carrier is how most of us do it. The various loads to choose from isn't exactly how your wording made it sound. They might offer you a load after a few hours or days sitting. You can say no but it could be a few hours or even days before your next opportunity. Say no to much and that phone might not ring much.You can get insurance through m9st major carriers and it's normally cheaper than getting your own.

Benefits of Van expediting.
Ramen Noodles
The walmarts of America tour.
Pennies on the pavement.
Paying your own health insurance.
Good defensive driving skills.
Negative paychecks.
Missed family events.
110 degrees in Laredo
- 20 in Bison
Did I mention Ramen noodles?

What's freedom worth to you?

jaxonviking

Expert Expediter
Funnest part is when you REALLY have to answer nature's call, but the front restrooms at Wal-Mart are being cleaned at 7AM. Then you're rushing to the back of the store trying to figure out where those toilets are! One time, those had padlocks on them. Fortunately, there was a Lowes next door. That was cutting things TOO close.

You also learn what life was like in pioneer days before AC and a furnace that kicked on automatically. And stuff to put in Ramen noodles to actually make a halfway decent meal :D

Reactions: Treadmill and Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Negative paychecks.
I believe this is the first time I have ever seen "negative checks" mentioned. Yeah, I've had a few of those. That would have been a great line in Jeff Jensen's ...You May Be An Expediter.

If you have ever received a negative paycheck, you may be an expediter.

Reactions: TeamPaul

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I believe this is the first time I have ever seen "negative checks" mentioned. Yeah, I've had a few of those. That would have been a great line in Jeff Jensen's ...You May Be An Expediter.

If you have ever received a negative paycheck, you may be an expediter.

Reactions: TeamPaul

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
First I would like to know if there are other ways you older drivers have used to make money with a van while the OTR expediting market was slow.
If you plug in "Extra Income" into the E.O. search engine you should get several hits showing threads dealing with making extra money during layovers and down time.

Even with current market conditions do you enjoy what you do for a living?
I enjoy what I'm doing and that's why I'm still doing it.

Is there a high risk of losing money doing this?
Sure there is. This is a business venture not a job as an employee. You can reduce the risk of losing money by treating this as a business and going into the business educated about the business, with some basic money management skills, little or no debt and sufficient money reserves.
Xiggy mentioned negative paychecks. As an employee you have probably never encountered a negative paycheck. In expediting you can get a slow week where the weekly deductions like insurance, Qualcomm fees, escrow etc., exceed your weekly pay resulting in a negative paycheck or negative settlement. You can take a week or two off but your deductions don't get a vacation.

Reactions: RoadTime