My Truck Surges At Idle

greg334

Veteran Expediter
PLEASE what engine do you have?

If it is an ISC I can tell you what the problem may very well be.

fawazbarraj

Seasoned Expediter
Yes The Engine I Have Is ISC-315E...........It Start Surging 10 or 15 min after I Start The Engine at Normal Idle 800 RPM .....however It Dose Not Surge While Driving Or When The Cruse Control Is On......If I Shut The engine Off For 10 or 15 min
Then Start It again It Will Run smoothly For 10 Min The Start surging again.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Really need to know specifically what the fault codes are.
If the ending number is a 31 or 32 of the code, it is a voltage irregularity at the fuel pump. If that tests ok, then it is at one of the wires for one (not all) one of the injectors. Could be a broken wire or poor connection.
If the codes jump numbers in a tight sequence, it is the speed sensor or a program fault with the ECM
If all of this is ok, refer back to my original post.

Last edited:

ratwell71

Veteran Expediter
Really need to know specifically what the fault codes are.
If the ending number is a 31 or 32 of the code, it is a voltage irregularity at the fuel pump. If that tests ok, then it is at one of the wires for one (not all) one of the injectors. Could be a broken wire or poor connection.
If the codes jump numbers in a tight sequence, it is the speed sensor or a program fault with the ECM
If all of this is ok, refer back to my original post.

Good advice. I am curious to what the codes are.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Sorry, I was working though my email and really didn't think to add it here.

Well here is the deal, this may be the problem.

Sometime during the production run of the 1998 to 2002 engines, there was an 'upgrade' kit that was used on the cabling to the fuel pressure sensor. If you have that 'upgrade' kit, then you can follow the cable from the fuel sensor to the ECM harness and it will have a splice in it. The splice is the problem because in many of the kits they used plain crimp on butt connectors with no sealant.

I think I was in Atlanta or maybe Florida when my truck idled so badly that I could not keep it idling without feeling it was going to drop a valve. It surged, it dropped in idle and all the stuff that makes one worry. So I bought a years subscription to the Cummins tech website (I don't have the link but if I find it I will send it to you) and went through everything. I found the info about the kit and thought well if it was installed, then that is where I would start. Sure enough the second I cut the tie wraps, it ran great. Messed with the wires at the splice, it started to act up again.

Now I understand that some engines had the new harness already in 2000 but every ISC I seen up to 2002 had the kit or needed it.

The last paragraph sounds confusing because I forgot to add that I remember that Cummins tried to found a solution to the problem with stationary engines when they discovered the issue hence the reason some don't need the kit in 2000 (added to the original PM text).

M

Mcarriers

Wow our truck does the same thing. It sounds like it's a big block with a big cam, it really is annoying. Never acts up while running down the road just when you stop at lights or anything like that. We'll have to check out Greg's info hopefully it'll fix it. This is our 01 KW w/315 ISC

ratwell71

Veteran Expediter
Sorry, I was working though my email and really didn't think to add it here.

Well here is the deal, this may be the problem.

Sometime during the production run of the 1998 to 2002 engines, there was an 'upgrade' kit that was used on the cabling to the fuel pressure sensor. If you have that 'upgrade' kit, then you can follow the cable from the fuel sensor to the ECM harness and it will have a splice in it. The splice is the problem because in many of the kits they used plain crimp on butt connectors with no sealant.

I think I was in Atlanta or maybe Florida when my truck idled so badly that I could not keep it idling without feeling it was going to drop a valve. It surged, it dropped in idle and all the stuff that makes one worry. So I bought a years subscription to the Cummins tech website (I don't have the link but if I find it I will send it to you) and went through everything. I found the info about the kit and thought well if it was installed, then that is where I would start. Sure enough the second I cut the tie wraps, it ran great. Messed with the wires at the splice, it started to act up again.

Now I understand that some engines had the new harness already in 2000 but every ISC I seen up to 2002 had the kit or needed it.

The last paragraph sounds confusing because I forgot to add that I remember that Cummins tried to found a solution to the problem with stationary engines when they discovered the issue hence the reason some don't need the kit in 2000 (added to the original PM text).

Good info.