My Battle of the Bulge

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, I think that's the only reason my Dr let me walk out with no medical intervention at this time. He knows what I can and have done when I'm motivated. A part of me doesn't want to let him down either. I could tell he was really struggling with letting this go on longer. I just hope it's not too late, and the weight loss will be enough to correct the diabetes issue.
biggest thing buddy....you have a little girl at home counting on her daddy to walk her down the aisle one day....don't let yourself down or her.....! Now get your game on....Ken

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The Damage Report Part 2

After falling so bad off the wagon that I can't find the wheel tracks, I had my 6 month follow up with my Dr. today.

Gained 30 more pounds, Blood pressure up, dosage doubled to what it was before. None of that came as a surprise. What did knock me for a loop was my fasting blood sugar results. Not only did I surge back deep into the prediabetes area, My number puts me at having diabetes :eek:

If I ever needed more motivation and a good kick in the butt, to get back on track, there it is. My doctor hesitantly, gave me 3 months to get this back under control on my own. My back is against the wall now, no more excuses. The battle is back on!

Your experience is not uncommon (make good progress then relapse). It might be helpful to rephrase your self-talk. Notice how you talk about your weight in terms of blame (moralizing) and a battle (like fat is the enemy). The trouble with telling yourself you are bad when you gain weight is that you will tell yourself you are good when you lose it. That "I am good" talk sets you up to cheat or give yourself a reward (eating bad) because you did good. Battle talk creates an enemy that does not really exist. You are using mental and emotional energy to fight something that is not there.

Your great progress did not keep you on track. Your doctor's praise did not keep you on track. If those won't do it, what will? I suggest a change in your self-talk may be the ticket.

Don't talk about a target weight as the goal. Talk about living healthy every day. Yes, you will still have a target weight but it is not a goal in the sense that you are done when you reach it. It is simply part of the future self you see as you act in the present.

Why do you pass up that sweet treat? It's not because doing so is part of a battle. It's not because you are bad if you don't or good if you do. It's because you are X years old, weigh your healthy weight, enjoy the freedom to move around without pain and you feel great!

Spend time writing privately about your healthy self. Imagine it in great detail. Cultivate in your mind the vision of the you you want to be. When you are driving, think about it in detail. Invent and play the mental movie that shows what it is like to get in and out of the truck when you are fit, what it is like to easily move when you are at a pickup.

When you think and talk to yourself like this, it's not about being bad or good. It's about celebrating every little thing you do each day (parking in the far end of the lot to walk into the truck stop, ordering off the menu instead of the buffet, snacking on fruit instead of chips, etc.) because, this day, this minute, you are being the person you want to be.

When you are mindful of your healthy self, you get to be that person right now and your body will catch up. When you think about the battle, you put your healthy self out of reach by putting a battle between you and it.

The great news is you already know how to lose weight. You have done it. You know what it is like. You know how it feels. By thinking more about your healthy self and less about the battle, you will create a win that persists. It's not about winning a battle any more. It's about living well, this very minute, through the rest of today and beyond.

Last edited:

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now into my 3rd week, since my Dr wake up call. Focusing on portion control/calorie intake. Exercise is increasing, but still lagging in that area. After coming off unlimited calorie intake, I was shocked at how many calories I was consuming on a daily basis. I had totally got away from checking or caring about what I was putting in my body. I had many gasp realization moments my first week at the amount I normally would consume without thinking about it.

I have been able to cut out a major pitfall for me, late night TV/movie binge eating. In fact, I no longer eat at all while watching any TV/movies. Unlike the last time, I'm keeping a more realistic daily calorie amount. One that provides for weight loss without feeling deprived, and at the same time, promoting a sustainable life style change that can continue after target weight has been achieved.

First target weight loss 30 pounds.

Status
Lost 13.6 lbs, 17 lbs to go!

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
More than 13 lbs. already. Great job! You'll hit that goal very soon.
Stay focused.
Stay healthy.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It may have slowed, but you're on the right track. Just being aware of you're intake is a big step towards your goal

Reactions: RoadTime

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now into my 3rd week, since my Dr wake up call. Focusing on portion control/calorie intake. Exercise is increasing, but still lagging in that area. After coming off unlimited calorie intake, I was shocked at how many calories I was consuming on a daily basis. I had totally got away from checking or caring about what I was putting in my body. I had many gasp realization moments my first week at the amount I normally would consume without thinking about it.

I have been able to cut out a major pitfall for me, late night TV/movie binge eating. In fact, I no longer eat at all while watching any TV/movies. Unlike the last time, I'm keeping a more realistic daily calorie amount. One that provides for weight loss without feeling deprived, and at the same time, promoting a sustainable life style change that can continue after target weight has been achieved.

First target weight loss 30 pounds.

Status
Lost 13.6 lbs, 17 lbs to go!
great job!! :)

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Great job so far. Have you started any small amount of exercise?

Walking mostly. which I haven't been consistent at. But have increased doing manual labor things things like cutting grass, etc, that I normally would pay someone to do. Trying to have have some form of physical activity each day.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Walking mostly. which I haven't been consistent at. But have increased doing manual labor things things like cutting grass, etc, that I normally would pay someone to do. Trying to have have some form of physical activity each day.

The small things throughout the day certainly add up.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some good news heading into this week. Past the half way point to 1st target, weight is down to pre-Christmas level, and BMI moved out of Obese area into over weight. I had some minor temptations over the weekend, but after checking calories and fat content of what I was considering, I found more suitable choices to stay on track that were just as satisfying :)

Status
Lost 17.2 lbs, 13.4 lbs to go!

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I find when I use my fitness pal it really does help. Makes you second guess everything you are going to eat.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I find when I use my fitness pal it really does help. Makes you second guess everything you are going to eat.

It really does help, I have used the calorie count site and app for years, anything that helps the journey along is a blessing :)

Reactions: jelliott

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some good news heading into this week. Past the half way point to 1st target, weight is down to pre-Christmas level, and BMI moved out of Obese area into over weight. I had some minor temptations over the weekend, but after checking calories and fat content of what I was considering, I found more suitable choices to stay on track that were just as satisfying :)

Status
Lost 17.2 lbs, 13.4 lbs to go!
11150803_893239230714566_579539361533885302_n.jpg

Congrats!.......:)

Reactions: bubblehead

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nothing exciting, 19 days on the road and losing only 1 pound o_O
Going to have to re-evaluated what I'm eating on the road, or adjust calorie intake a little. Although, I'm still lagging in the exercise area which isn't helping. Stayed within calorie range most of the time, but I still would have expected more. At least I'm still heading in the right direction :)

Status
Lost 19.2 lbs, 11.4 lbs to go!

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Seems like your still going in the right direction. Still 1 lb gone is better than 1 lb gained. Keep up the good work.