Multiple Carriers.

fcblogistics

Rookie Expediter
Hello my name is Peter. I am an All-State Express driver. I have recently come to learn about running my sprinter for multiple carriers. I would like to find out if this is a good idea why or why not.
I would also like to know where I can find carriers who offer the option of running multiple carriers.
To me this seems logical because why not have multiple companies look for loads instead or relying on one.
If there is a thread on this i am sorry and please direct me to that page.

THANK YOU!

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are some carriers that'll accept that, but from my own experience I can tell you that's not a great deal. If you are, let's say with three carriers, there are great chances that all three will call you for the same load and you'll end up getting it from the one that had the lowest bid. No need to do the math. All-State is a good company and I wouldn't leave them for an unknown tiny carrier. My POV.

fcblogistics

Rookie Expediter
Thanks, that's why I am asking questions. The thing is I haven't been making money with All-State. I thought I would be averaging 2,000 a week and it's not the case. In my opinion that is a number that makes expediting worth it.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks, that's why I am asking questions. The thing is I haven't been making money with All-State. I thought I would be averaging 2,000 a week and it's not the case. In my opinion that is a number that makes expediting worth it.
One must remember that tie is the winter slow season. It will be slow for at least another 4-5 weeks before things start to gradually get better. I know it's tough right but hang on and it will slowly get better.

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are some carriers that'll accept that, but from my own experience I can tell you that's not a great deal. If you are, let's say with three carriers, there are great chances that all three will call you for the same load and you'll end up getting it from the one that had the lowest bid. No need to do the math. All-State is a good company and I wouldn't leave them for an unknown tiny carrier. My POV.

True! You end up under cutting one of your carriers and potentially ripping yourself off.:cool:

RoadHouse

Active Expediter
I can see working for three carriers if their freight comes from different sources. If you work for lets say Express Family of Companies who gets their loads from the rail yards, and then you work with another company that has loads from NLM, and a third carrier that gets loads from somewhere else, it can technically work. But if all three of your carriers are bidding for the same load, it creates a false sense of competition, and you will lose money every time. You will lose the money, not your carrier. I know carriers who make their 20 percent no matter how low the driver rate goes. They will send you a 70 cent per mile load and still make the same amount of money they would be making if they paid you a dollar a mile for that load. The driver loses when the carrier low balls unless you're on a set rate per mile and the carrier loses some of their percentage in order to secure the load. I personally would stick with the bigger carriers, or a really good small carrier, of which there are only a few of them that are any good these days.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I tried working with two carriers a couple of years back. The results were less than spectacular, and the added headaches----- fergidaboudit. I'm with the guys I started with now, one carrier, not nearly the problems that running multiple caused.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
But if all three of your carriers are bidding for the same load, it creates a false sense of competition, and you will lose money every time. You will lose the money, not your carrier.
Personally, I would describe it as more of a real sense of competition (between the carriers) and a false sense of accomplishment. :D