MotorKote or Marvel Mystery OIl

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Anyone using these products in their truck or cargo van? Do u get good results or none at all, a fair and balanced report shall soon follow, rite, lol.:D

wimpy007

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
US Army
I can't tell you about MotorKote or Marvel Oil but Lucas Oil Stabilizer work great IMHO, I use it every oil change. So far I have 448,000 on a 6.0 liter Chevy 1 ton extended van. Hope this helps.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, if your expediting and putting highway miles on it, it can go a million. So, I'm still wondering, what is it you think Lucas is doing for you?

bobcmo

Expert Expediter
Years ago when I managed the maintenance for a small fleet, I asked our oil distributor/supplier about additives and even though he sold them he told me that if I felt the need to add stuff to the oil to "make it better" I was buying the wrong oil. Do your research use the best oil for your application and you will be fine.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Years ago when I managed the maintenance for a small fleet, I asked our oil distributor/supplier about additives and even though he sold them he told me that if I felt the need to add stuff to the oil to "make it better" I was buying the wrong oil. Do your research use the best oil for your application and you will be fine.

Exactly! What the heck does it mean to "stabilize" oil anyway? LOL... My oil seems very stable. It never just goes off on crazy rants or anything like that.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Lucas oil products are the worst, I read a consumer
reports test once that put lucas on the bottom for wear protection.
I don't remember who got first place, but Amesoil was number 2, Followed by royal purple, and mystic.
Delvac was the top off the shelf lube, but its wear numbers were much higher, than mystic, IE there was a significamt drop in protection fron the top four to the over the counter lubes.

I have used marvel oil as a cleaner. In fuel tanks, and to flush crank cases. In different kinds of gas an deisal equipment.

I used to use motorkote, but not anymore since I switched to amesoil.

When I was a teen ager my dad put duralube in his 350 chevy,

on a trip to vegas the oil light came on. Since the dealer did the last oil change he decided to run the truck anyway. we were still 1 and 1/2 hours out of vegas, the oil drain plug fell out.

anyway we made it to vegas fine. my dad ran that truck another five years before trading it, no smoke, about 150k miles, when he traded.

So I guess duralube works.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I used Lucas in my Freightliner but looking back on it I really can't tell you why. I guess I must have drank the koolaid they were selling. Marvel is great stuff but I always used it to free up old engines that had been sitting for a long time. I never used it as an oil additive. I'm with the other guys. If you have to use an oil additive you are using the wrong oil.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My 6.0 is new with only a little over 31k so far. I am using the best Pennzoil full synthetic. I use the onboard oil change monitor changing oil/filter when it gets down around 10% life remaining. The next time it hits 10% I change the filter and add one fresh quart to replace what was lost. That gives me around 17-18k miles overall with a fresh filter around the 9k mark. Even when I'm just about at the oil change the oil still has some of the golden tint to it, not the full black coloration often seen just before changing, so it seems to be a good system. I've thought about additives but don't think I'd get any advantage doing it the way I am.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So Leo, the oil change thingy still tells you to change around 6k?

I thought 10k would have been the norm with a 20k synthetic change.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sorry. I was doing multiple things and used the mileage numbers from the car not the van. The van does get about 9k per segment for around 18k total on a synthetic change with 2 filters during that span. It works out to right at 100 miles per 1% of oil change interval and costs roughly a half penny a mile overall.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
My gas engines i use Moble1 full syntherthic,the main reason is i get almost a extra mile per gallon.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
marvel mystery oil in the crankcase is mainly a flush instead of a oil additive, you pour it in run the engine a while and then drain.

I think it is genrally meant as a fuel additive, which is what i have mainly used it for in the past.

LOL I stand corrected they say you can run it in the crankcase!!!

Last edited:

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
I don't know any numbers or stats for Lucas oil stabilizer. But I do know from experience that if I add a gallon when I change my oil, my 3126 Cat will not use any oil in a 10000 oil change cycle. I tried not using it and at about 6500 miles, I had to start adding oil every 1000 miles. Why? I haven't a clue. But I use it. My engine has about 420k on it now and still not using any oil. I don't worry about why or how it works, I just know it helps.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't know any numbers or stats for Lucas oil stabilizer. But I do know from experience that if I add a gallon when I change my oil, my 3126 Cat will not use any oil in a 10000 oil change cycle. I tried not using it and at about 6500 miles, I had to start adding oil every 1000 miles. Why? I haven't a clue. But I use it. My engine has about 420k on it now and still not using any oil. I don't worry about why or how it works, I just know it helps.

It goes 6500 on the first gallon, then starts using a gallon every 1000? Hmmm...

Well, Lucas does thicken the oil. I just don't think using a bit of oil is that big a deal. But trading the cost of some added oil for the cost of Lucas is one way to handle it.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Ive got over 900000 miles on my Detriot 60 series engine.oil samples are fine,and oil change intervals are every 20000 miles.In the beginning,I've gone as high as 30000 miles and still had good samples,but i feel more compfortable at 20000,thats when it finally has 1 gallon missing.If you talk to any oil experts,you will stop putting additives in your oil,they say your just waisting money.In my cars I use a synthetic oil,as they sit around more than get driven.A truck I had in 1993,I used Amsoil synthetic.Truck went 100000 before had to actually change the oil.It did have the Amsoil filter system,and change filters every 15000 miles,with an oil sample.Only changed the oil at 100000 cause was nervous going any longer.Whats better about synthetic oil,it doesnt break down with the heat of the engine,but the additives you put in the oils ,are just witch remedys.If it makes you feel better great,but as I was told,just waisting your money.By the way,Ive been useing Rotella oil in every truck I've ever owned,except the 1993,when I used the synthetic.Why am I not useing it now,I usr ro be a dealer,and it was very cheap to buy,and now I live in an apartment ,so storage is a problem.