Morel mushroom hunting

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's a close relative of the black snake, or rather of the black rat snake. It's a gray rat snake. It's pretty rare for those to get much longer than 6 feet, but they are known to get up to 7-8 feet.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Speaking of snakes, when my younger brother and I were just boys, we would catch water snakes in our minnow traps which we had placed overnight in the creeks. The snake would enter the trap and eat all the minnows. Invariably, the snake would be unable to get back out of the minnow trap after gorging on the fish. As a result, the snake unable to surface for air would drown.

We called these water snakes, "water mocassins" ... I don't know if they actually were water mocassins. They were typically 2-3 feet long. Brown on top and with an orange colored underbelly.

Another fun trick was using a seine net to fish the creeks and shallow rivers. Sometimes, we pulled up the net to find a snake had been snared. Or, a turtle.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
Somehow we've wandered from mushroom hunting to snakes, but I guess they coincide anyway. lol

So, I went searching for some information on the Water Moccasin and this might help somewhat in identifying one if you are in the wild. :)

Water Moccasins are large-looking snakes. A 30 inch Water Moccasin will look larger than it really is because of its girth. In fact, snakes over 36 inches are uncommon, but eye-witness accounts of them abound. All of the other aquatic snakes are more slender, though some species of water snake such as the Brown Water Snake (Nerodia taxispilota) can be fairly hefty at large size. Even so, a 36 inch Water Moccasin will be a thicker animal than even a 5 foot water snake. A Water Moccasin seen from a distance away will look like a big snake.

It is characterized by a brown, olive or blackish dark body with lighter belly, and body crossbands which have a distinct border extending all the way around and across the yellowish stomach.
Young, born live, are much brighter and often are most similar in color to the Copperhead, each with a bright yellow or lime greenish tail tip.

These snakes readily vibrate their tails when provoked or approached and can make an impressive 'rattling' sound when placed against leaves, water, or solid objects. The older snakes tend to lose the obvious pattern effect and appear to be darker and bland colored. The triangular shaped head is evident even at rest, set off with distinct elliptical 'cat-eye' pupils and a dark facial line extending through the eye. Powerful jaws support this snake's habit of latching on during a bite rather than the quick strike and release pattern of its cousin the Copperhead.

Typically, the nonpoisonous snakes which reside with the Cottonmouths are longer, less stout-bodied, flee when approached, and exhibit round pupils, along with a plain yellowish or white belly void of any band markings.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Layout, yeah, we've got both black and gray rat snakes. I know they're both up in MI as well, with the black rat snake often being bigger up there than down south. Yellow rat snakes, those stick to Florida and Georgia and Carolina coastlines. But they're all similar subspecies, all shaped the same, just different coloring. Sometimes a black and gray rat snake will look the same, as some grays are darker and some blacks are lighter, to where you're not sure which one it is. Most are in that 3-5 feet range, but every now and then you'll get one that is huge. IIRC, the black rat snakes in Michigan will often reach 8 feet.

More often than not, any time someone sees a snake in the water, it's labeled as a water moccasin. Better safe than sorry, that's for sure. lol Brown on top and orange bellies can mean the copper-bellied water snake, as the feed on tadpoles, minnows frgos and small fish, but I don't know that they're in the eastern part of the state.
Kentucky Snakes - Thumbnails

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Another one I just thought of, and Layout probably already knows this, but water moccasins and cottonmouths, and rattlesnakes, for that matter, don't swim in the water as much as they scurry around on top of it. Most water snakes are more like fish, where they tend to be more down in the water. They'll swim around just under the surface, or maybe with just their head above the surface. Most of the pit vipers, that distinct triangular head, will tend to float around on top of the water, like a stick. So if a snake is swimming towards you, and you can see most or all of the snake on top of the water surface, be afraid. Be very afraid. It's probably not a snake you want to grab by the tail. :eek:

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Yep, after looking at the pictures, the copper-belly seems to be the one. Of course, these memories are 30 years old. We opened those traps with trepidation. Never knew when one of 'em was playing possum.

buddy

Seasoned Expediter
The Eastern Massasuga rattlesnake is alive here in Lapeer county Michigan. And yes as Layoutshooter stated they are present in Washtenaw County as well, In fact they are in southeast Michigan. However they have place on "Concerned" list by the DNR. For the simply reason that we humans have been moving in on thier habitat which is wetland areas.

I have seen these sankes several times here at our camp facility. The first time I seen one, I was chopping wood, for some strange reason my AXE dropped and cut off its head. it was about 2 feet long and fat. They are a reclusive snake which is attributed to thier survival.

In the fall on nice sunny days I will find them curled up on the cement sidewalks leading to the bunk houses:eek: LOL Darn good thing the bunk houses are empty at that time of year. I have allways wanted to catch one and have it stuffed as to place on display for education purposes.... oh well the guests will just have to take our word for it.

Tried to copy a picture of this snake but this author cant do those kinda things to well...Lol.

Oh yes we do have srooms here at the camp and we are moderatly successfull:)

gsmacker

Seasoned Expediter
I've always had very good luck in finding morels in the West Michigan area. Growing up on a 1200+acrea farm I had abundant areas to find all the good spots.(ok so dad showed them to me) lol now that the farm has been sold and gone the new owners always begg me to show them the good spots. I tell em that all you need is a few good cold ones and an onion sack. As far as the snakes the meanest snake I have encountered around home was the Blue racer. They are good creatures but sure are orny. Bugs and spiders are common everywhere. Turtle wouldnt be too happy with me cause if I even see a heron at home it is shot on site along with King Fischers also. But then again my "home" is a registered Aquaculture Farm. Apparently the ches feathers of a green heron make awesome material for fly fishing fly's??? I think I am gonna have to cook up some trout and bluegill when I get home...........now if I only had some morels..........anyone ever eat Beefstakes?? And I have never got sick.....

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
...anyone ever eat Beefstakes?? And I have never got sick.....

This is the information I found on Beefsteak Morel mushrooms. This information comes from 2 different sources, Morels of the UP from exploringthenorth.com, and from Morel mushroom Identification page at michiganmorels.com.

Potentially dangerous beefsteak morel. Has an irregularly lobed and wavy, reddish brown cap and a yellowish white (often pinkish white) stem. It is not hollow, though there may be air pockets within the flesh. As the mushroom gets older, the ridges and lobes darken to nearly black.
The poison in false morels is MMH, or monmethylhydrazine (a chemical also found in rocket fuel). Its toxicity may be cumulative (you may eat false morels safely for years and then, one day, croak after one bite). Clearly, MMH is not to be messed with.

Of all the morels and lorchels that occur in Michigan, the beefsteak morel has about the longest fruiting time on record, from early April into June. It occurs in a variety of habitats primarily on sandy soil and under pines and aspens; however, it has been found under hardwoods and in open sunny areas as well. This species apparently does not occur in the southern portion of the Lower Peninsula, but it is abundant in the Upper Peninsula. Fruiting bodies of this species, under certain conditions, yield the same compound as is used in some rocket fuels. It will not put you in orbit, but it might put you "out". There is more controversy about the edibility of this species than any other wild mushroom in Michigan.

Many people consume beefsteak morels, gyromitra esculenta, without developing noticeable symptoms of hydrazine poisoning. As a result, people think these are perfectly safe to eat and pass them around to their friends or sell them with no warnings. They are not a safe species to consume in quantity, no matter how they are prepared. Of the recorded poisonings by the beefsteak morel, 14% were fatal.

The "Beefsteak" morel is one of the "false" morels and can make you sick or be potentially fatal if eaten.

gsmacker

Seasoned Expediter
Well I guess that I will leave the beefstakes alone from now on....never did get sick but it sounds like you can be ok or really hurtin and there is no in between. All this talk of mushroom huntin, snipe huntin and just plain being outdoors makes me home sick something fierce....lol good thing I should be home this weekend. LOL I remember some city girls that moved to our town, after befriending them we took em mushroom huntin. We told em you had to be super quiet and sneak up on them, cause if they heard or saw ya coming they would suck back into the ground. It took em a good hour of us laughing at em to realize we were messin with them.

gsmacker

Seasoned Expediter
Hey Mr. LayoutShooter
In another thread you were talkin about trout fishin. It sounds that you have done a lot of fishing all around the place. Ever catch a Golden Rainbow Trout in Michigan??? I know that they are common out in mountainous rivers and what not. But I also know that they are a little popular in Michigan and am just wondering if they are getting spotted in the wild yet. The golden's I am talking about arent the aggressive strain from California that can hurt out lakes ecosystem There's another strain (I think its a Virginia strain) that is more closely matched to our rainbow and browns. -Gsmacker***

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No I have not caught a "golden trout" anywhere. I have caught "Palmino trout" in PA. It is a cross breed of something and something else, I can't remember what, and they are sorta gold colored. Kinda ugly really. They were very mushy too. Layoutshooter

gsmacker

Seasoned Expediter
Back at the farm in michigan my dad raises Golden Rainbow Trout. They are a really cool looking version of rainbow (they have a the same pink stripe in them). Since they are in continous cold well water, 55F in the dead of summer, fed a very good food and the tanks and ponds are continous cirriculation I have never found them mushy. Then again I remember going to grandpa's for the weekend and we always brought rainbows home from his pond. They had that mushy, gamey, dogfood taste to them. The food he fed them was the cheap feed mill type. Then again I couldnt tell you the last time I had "wild trout" I love fishing and if I went trout fishing I would catch and release. Definately would use a barbless hook, makes it more of a challenge and too much stress would kill the poor little fish. LOL maybe I'll send ya some golden fillets some day Mr. Layout, but the bluegills I am a lil more stingy about. I know what I am havin for dinner, might as well since I am home. I can see the fish buildings from my front window.......now wheres that pole(more like net)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No morels yet, I might look while at home next week. I seldom eat trout, I prefere 'gills, crappie WALLEYE or yellow perch. WITH morels of course
Layoutshooter

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
MMMM, maybe if I eat enough fish I can eliminate my perscriptions? Water polution sucks, it is a far bigger problem than so-called global warming is. Layoutshooter

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
You know, Turtle, it has occurred to me that it is very good that you know so much about snakes, because don't snakes eat Turtles? For that fact, don't herons eat Turtles? If I were you, I'd be affraid to go home. I wouldn't leave the cab of my truck!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, herons do eat turtles. And snakes. Birds are pretty ruthless when it comes to a meal. They don't care.

I don't know a lot about a lot of snakes, but I do know about the ones near home and what kind I'm likely to run into. We live out on 122 acres with a pond that's about an acre and lots of woods. Plus, I live very close to the Land Between the Lakes at Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley. So whether you're out walking the fences for the horses, fishing in the pond or on the lake, or just picnicking or hiking in the LBL, it pays to know what you're getting yourself into, be it snakes or polecats or bobcats or brown-nosed hornets (the worst). Plus, I was a Boy Scout and we had to learn all that stuff.