Missed dispatch phone calls

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are a couple of threads about missed load opportunities due to a call to a cell number with no follow up second call to a second phone number. I can't reply in that forum but also wanted to post here where it might help others with different carriers or just researching. A few thoughts in no specific order:

1. It is our responsibility to receive calls. That may mean keeping a cell phone set to the loudest ring setting and keeping it almost as close as an ugly nose ring or an ugly tattoo or an ugly wart at all times, emphasis on ALL, as in every moment of our lives. Yeah, that's inconvenient and annoying but there are countertops or shelves or something, even in bathrooms. During a shower is it more likely to hear the loudest cell ring from 4 feet away or the home phone or motel phone through a closed door from the other room 15 or more feet away?

2. If one really wants the call going through the home phone then put the cell into call forwarding to the home number during those times.

3. It isn't dispatch's duty to hold our hands and walk through a checklist for us. It's their duty to cover loads. They should make a call to the first truck in line and hopefully cover the load so they can move on to their next item. A call. As in one call.

4. It's easy to be unhappy in position one if dispatch doesn't make multiple calls and do whatever to get us the load. Let's jump to position two. If we're the guy in position two we're suddenly glad dispatch didn't do more than make the one call they should make because now we have a load we might not otherwise have.

Bottom line, we either give control to someone else and hope they do what we want and what will benefit us or we retain the control and make it happen.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are a couple of threads about missed load opportunities due to a call to a cell number with no follow up second call to a second phone number. I can't reply in that forum but also wanted to post here where it might help others with different carriers or just researching. A few thoughts in no specific order:

1. It is our responsibility to receive calls. That may mean keeping a cell phone set to the loudest ring setting and keeping it almost as close as an ugly nose ring or an ugly tattoo or an ugly wart at all times, emphasis on ALL, as in every moment of our lives. Yeah, that's inconvenient and annoying but there are countertops or shelves or something, even in bathrooms. During a shower is it more likely to hear the loudest cell ring from 4 feet away or the home phone or motel phone through a closed door from the other room 15 or more feet away?

2. If one really wants the call going through the home phone then put the cell into call forwarding to the home number during those times.

3. It isn't dispatch's duty to hold our hands and walk through a checklist for us. It's their duty to cover loads. They should make a call to the first truck in line and hopefully cover the load so they can move on to their next item. A call. As in one call.

4. It's easy to be unhappy in position one if dispatch doesn't make multiple calls and do whatever to get us the load. Let's jump to position two. If we're the guy in position two we're suddenly glad dispatch didn't do more than make the one call they should make because now we have a load we might not otherwise have.

Bottom line, we either give control to someone else and hope they do what we want and what will benefit us or we retain the control and make it happen.
Well said. If I miss a call, and miss the load, I figure it is my own fault.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry I disagree , at least to a point, it is the policy of my carrier, and this applies to when we are home, dispatch calls cell first if no answer the home phone, if no answer then move on to next unit in line, I have that in writing from the carrier, now when I'm out on the road, yep it's up to me to answer my cell.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Certainly dispatch, and everyone else in an organization from top to bottom, should follow the rules and procedures in place. Unfortunately the real world intervenes and interferes. In that case, in my opinion only, it falls back on us.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Certainly dispatch, and everyone else in an organization from top to bottom, should follow the rules and procedures in place. Unfortunately the real world intervenes and interferes. In that case, in my opinion only, it falls back on us.
The real world also intervenes by making cell reception poor at times, thus the reason for his carrier having the procedure for calling his home phone. So if he never got the call on his cell, and he wasn't called at home, how on earth should it fall back on him?