Minimum-Wage Foes Tripped Up by Facts

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And recent numbers out of Ontario Canada support these US findings as well......where the minimum is like 12.40 an hr...there was20% growth in the service sector of jobs...

Minimum-Wage Foes Tripped Up by Facts

The extent to which taxpayers subsidize profitable public companies that game the safety net is serious business. One study noted that U.S. fast-food workers receive more than $7 billion a year in public assistance; another pegged the Wal-Mart taxpayer subsidy at more than $6 billion. Alan Grayson, a former congressman from Florida, observed:

In state after state, the largest group of Medicaid recipients is Walmart employees . . . the same thing is true of food stamp recipients. Each Walmart ‘associate’ costs the taxpayers an average of more than $1,000 in public assistance.

Politifact reviewed his claims and found them to be “mostly true.”

Reactions: Grizzly

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Here is what I see. The $15 dollar an hour for fast food and minimum wage is toast. Why? Trump is going with the guy from Carls Jr for labor secretary. Add that to the new round of automation in low skill jobs and that will disappear. Additionally, with a republican led everything, wouldn't hold my breath that welfare will see any increases anytime soon.

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
I spend less money in states with higher mimum wages do to the fact that prices are higher so it's vinina sausage and cracker time lol

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That one problem with conservatives.....they tend to stick their head in the sand and make time stand still...and lack vision...automation will happen regardless of wage levels..as their buddy buddy suppliers increase prices and
CEO's are looking for more sources of profit ....there so many positives to higher minimums...
The results in studies now years of higher paying states and provinces...There has been growth in the sector....NO job losses....corporations will make the adjustments...besides American culture WASTES far too much disposable income on eating out....Its almost laughable to see a restaurant on every corner on every block....doesn't anyone cook anymore...?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I spend less money in states with higher mimum wages do to the fact that prices are higher so it's vinina sausage and cracker time lol
IF I have to eat on the go.....and know I'am passing thru Ohio I will wait.....since there is NO sales tax on junk food...why would anyone spend 7.75% tax in Indiana when you can wait a few miles and pay $0 tax?

Reactions: ntimevan and Turtle

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That one problem with conservatives.....they tend to stick their head in the sand and make time stand still...and lack vision...automation will happen regardless of wage levels..as their buddy buddy suppliers increase prices and
CEO's are looking for more sources of profit ....there so many positives to higher minimums...
The results in studies now years of higher paying states and provinces...There has been growth in the sector....NO job losses....corporations will make the adjustments...besides American culture WASTES far too much disposable income on eating out....Its almost laughable to see a restaurant on every corner on every block....doesn't anyone cook anymore...?

Automation will happen anyway. Totally agree. A higher minimum will make it happen faster. I am banking on it. Literally. :D

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
[QUOTE="Automation will happen anyway. Totally agree. A higher minimum will make it happen faster. I am banking on it. Literally. :D[/QUOTE]

Skynet is waiting and watching patiently

jimmy

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
BTW...IMO...minimum wage should be a state issue....NOT a federal issue
Local economics should be the deciding factors...

In Canada its a Provincial issue each province sets the rate...since 1996 there has been no Federal Minimum wage

Reactions: blackpup

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Even at the state level a minimum wage can be iffy. Take, for example, having the same minimum wage in NYC versus Elmira. Whatever the wage, it's gonna go a lot farther in Elmira.

I agree that local economics should be the deciding factors. Back when I managed restaurants in Nashville, even areas within the city had different rates of pay. In one area, we paid considerably more than minimum wage, otherwise we wouldn't have been able to staff the restaurant.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
let supply and demand take care of the expensive areas to service.....like example Williston or Dickinson...area starting rates are about average $12.00 an hour...Last year the Walmart in Dickinson ND was $17.00 to start......this year because the oil is down.....$13.00....Let the local economy rule anything over whats needed...
The benefits?.....Maybe lower student loan balances?....Less of working poor.....less collecting food stamps, more spending on their part thus stimulating the economy at corporations expense and not the taxpayers....Maybe less staff turnover helping to offset the higher wages aka productivity and training costs.

IMO many of the deniers are only thinking of their own wallet and their oversized guts

Reactions: Grizzly