Cargo Van Merecedes Benz Sprinter--Looking for work

bassspoted

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello Everyone,

Im new in the field starting out but have work with some company same day delivery. But my wheels are sitting and not making any money. Im a female looking for a company? Does anyone have any ideas for me? Anything would be awesome to get those wheels turning.
I forgot to mention I live in San Diego, CA...

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Do you want to be home every night or are you OK with being out on the road for 3-6 months at a time?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
First I'd check with the air freight companies that service San Diego and the LAX areas. See if Ceva or LandAir is taking on cargo vans. Then I'd check with the larger expedite carriers with a wider geographical coverage like Panther, XPO, Landstar, etc. It's a very tough time for cargo vans in expediting right now, as there are far too many of them for the available loads, so the load opportunities are few and the rates are in the toilet.

bassspoted

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hear you. Driving in San Diego all you see are white cargo vans or sprinters I couldn't believed how many people are into this business. I got into it a little to late. I did apply with all of the companies that on this site has listed hopefully I get a call back.
I think its just the signs of the time because many people no matter what job they have arent making any money. If we can just get by would be great.
Thank you.
Have a goodnite

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is a company from Sacramento, called Albatross... maybe you should check with them, they do 48 states...

bassspoted

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you guys. I am learning so much im getting a headache. So much to learn finding out how to charger on expd loads within Calif to Calif. Paying for a mc number that cost $300. I have to have a CA and Mc to work within Calif to Calif. Out of State and coming back to Calif it's not a charge the only thing I need is DOT. Calif always want money.
lol
How would I charge for loads in a interstate?

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello Everyone,

Im new in the field starting out but have work with some company same day delivery. But my wheels are sitting and not making any money. Im a female looking for a company? Does anyone have any ideas for me? Anything would be awesome to get those wheels turning.
I forgot to mention I live in San Diego, CA...
I would send a PM to Mailer. He lives I think in so cal. He could probably give you some advice as to what you could do.

bassspoted

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello Treadmill,

That would be great. I was just searching the internet on how to bid for loads on the load board. I haven't gotten a lots of paper work done. I have my CA,MCP, MC,URC,DOT. Once when everything clears I should be ready for those wheels to burn the highway. Its so much information to know and learn. Im sure I will lose money at first because I don't know how to charge but once when I learn it will be awesome. So many errors and thats going to be with getting the right prices for loads.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you don't mind sharing some insurance information, what kind of insurance do you have, what coverages, where did you buy it, and what did it cost? Thanks and good luck!

Last edited:

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would send a PM to Mailer. He lives I think in so cal. He could probably give you some advice as to what you could do.

Thanks Treadmill.

bassspoted, I would ask blizzard, he has more info on getting your own authority and how to find the brokers. If you review his older posts, you'll find a lot of info on that. I am an O/O leased to one carrier and don't know much about having your own authority stuff.

At the present time, as Turtle has mentioned, the van sector, me included, just took a 120 degrees turn (I won't say 180 degrees just yet, because some of us can still absorb the impact).

It is possible that you can still achieve your set goals, but it's going to take more readings, researching and sale calls which looks like you have already started doing some of that now. Good for you.

But the most important thing that I would do first, if you haven't already done it, is to project your incomes and expenses. The business plan that is. This will give you the idea of what you need to bring in to cover the expenses and what to do when you are going thru the slow period and didn't bring any income.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

bassspoted

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
bigstickjr, sure i will tell you who i use. I have state farm for my liability and tomorrow I will tell you the other company. I have 3 company that supposed to get back with me.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
bigstickjr, sure i will tell you who i use. I have state farm for my liability and tomorrow I will tell you the other company. I have 3 company that supposed to get back with me.
The reason I asked about your insurance was to figure out if you have what you'll really need.
I got a quote last year from my regular guy to insure a new Transit running local in your area. It would have been leased to a carrier.
The cost was so high that I passed on the deal.
The cost of insurance you will need may take the wind out of your sails.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

It's been years since I've been stood up by a beautiful young lady.
It happened often when I was younger.
Not so much since I've become such a cute old geezer.
She didn't even give me her number.:cry: