mbe 900 average life

inmotion

Seasoned Expediter
hello
well 1st i understand the " it all depends on how it has been taken care of"
i am looking for some feed back from people who have owned one of these engines and took care of them ie regulaer oil changes and maintenance, drives or drove it with the intentions of getting every bit of life out of it ( not the drive it like you stole it crowd)
the reason for this post.
i am looking at buying the truck i have been driving for the last 180,000 miles, in that time it has had no major engine problems. has had oil and oil filters changed every 15k miles religiously air filter changed every 30k. fuel filter every 30k. oil analyzed every 30k with excellent readings.
the average load weight is around 2k. it has 580k miles on the engine. with a allison 3000 hs 5 speed. i use both eco. and performance settings, average 65 mph (even in the 70 mph speed zones)
i understand everyone has an opinion but i would really like the " yeah i owned one and" type replies.
thanks for reading the post and looking forward to the helpful replies.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
I'm on my third. One was the 7.2, we drove for fleet owner, second was truck we owned, 6.4@250 HP. Third is truck we're in now, with 561k on the clock.....7.2@330 HP. I've heard many stories, some not going more than 400k (questionable maintenance), others with engines replaced at 650k, and another went to 900k before crapping the bed. We've budgeted to replace ours within a year from now.

What I would strongly suggest is to get yours into a Detroit shop, get an oil analysis (don't change oil before), a blow-by test, and a dyno to see how many of the rated HP are getting to the ground. While it doesn't always have the HP I'd like, I'm happy with the fuel economy. We drive 59-60. When conditions are good, we get the better part of 12 MPG, and we're 26k empty.

Have you priced used engines, or factory remain engines?

8ballexpress

Active Expediter
Google up MBE 906 and somewhere in the list should be an article about the life of these engines. I read some paper a year ago where Detroit engineers took a MBE 906 that had over 670,xxx on the clock and tore it down to the block. They measured everything against 'new' part specs and everything was within reasonable tolerance. The said the engine showed 'typical' high mileage wear on all the moving parts. They have been in Europe for only a few more years than in the US but they seem to be a good piece.