M2 Freightliner ABS problem

Sundancin

Active Expediter
New guy here. Been expediting about 5 months now. Bought this Freightliner that is in continuing state of attention. My current on going dilema is the ABS light comes on each day during the run. Shut it off for the night and next day light is out until I get about half way thru my run. Code in information center in dash is ABS 136, Sld 5, Failure xxx; or ABS 136, Sld 4, failure xxx. I have figured out that Sld = solenoid. If this is true does anyone know where these things are. Problem is getting more persistent and irritating me. Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Just wait until your wipers start running on and off by themselves mine has many gremlins also it's nothing new to me when stuff goes on and off in the dash mines done it from day 1

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
the problem is located on the inside on the rim. there is a sensor there that runs against the hub. sometimes they will move out and cause the light to come on. they just need to be loosened cleaned up and slid back in and tightened down. keep in mind the sensor could also be bad. take it to a shop, quick simple and inexpensive fix. notice i didnt say freightliner.

ps. if it is the solenoid it is an inexpensive fix also and could be mounted near the firewall. trace the wire from the sensor and see where it goes.

windshield wipers going off on their own is a turn signal stalk issue more than likely, bout 300 bucks if i remember correctly. first though, pull the covers off the column and inspect the wires for chaffing. if chaffed wrap individually clean and put dialectic grease on the connections and see if it helps if not replace the stalk. fyi, there is a hole in the metal plate that a nylon wire tie should be pushed into to hold the wire loom. if its not in there the wires can be pinched by the tilt and telescopic action of the column.

Sundancin

Active Expediter
tknight, LOL - you must have driven my truck before, wipers do that occasionally too :p

Dynamite 1: Thanks for info, will be bringing truck home this weekend so I can check for loose grounds, chaffed wires and such. I have read before that sensors on these things are prone to dirt build up.

If I'm not drivin it, I'm fixin it :rolleyes:

tknight

Veteran Expediter
If its a pinched wire in the colume, it was pinched when they built this truck, it did it in front of the salesman as he took my picture with the new truck, they have tried numerous times under warranty, and now they say 300+ is gonna fix it.................I'll live with it. I consider it personality.

tk

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
tknight, LOL - you must have driven my truck before, wipers do that occasionally too :p

Dynamite 1: Thanks for info, will be bringing truck home this weekend so I can check for loose grounds, chaffed wires and such. I have read before that sensors on these things are prone to dirt build up.

If I'm not drivin it, I'm fixin it :rolleyes:

On the wiper switch, I tried the dielectric grease and it will work for a time, but what seems to be the permanent fix (700,000 mi.s and still have original switch with no more problems) is to snug up the connections, specifically where the pins contact the disconnect. Use a tiny flat head driver, eyeglass size, and use it to slip down behind each pin hole and pry the metal slightly inward so the pins are sure to fit snug with good contact when plugged back together.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Tknight,you consider the ghost that turns your wipers on and off to give your truck "personality" I consider it the reason I wouldn't walk across the street to look at a Freightliner. The sad thing is if you bumped into me in the mid 70's,when 10 of our 34 semi's where Freightliners, I'd be telling you they were as good of a truck as you could buy. Sadly, what you get today from Freightliner is nothing like they built back then.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
That ABS sensor dynamite refers to sends an electromagnetic "flux" into the "tone ring" that has slots in it, mounted on the inside of your hub. It works similarly to a crankshaft position sensor. As usual, dynamite's spot-on about adjustment of the sensor. Another possibility, though, is that the tone ring is easily rusted or corroded. If so, the hub needs to be pulled, ring replaced, sensor adjusted, and codes cleared from the ECM.

Also had an M-2; also had the ghost wiper.