Loves Tire Pass

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
A friend sent me a thought about Tire Pass and I wondered if any one has used this service?

We very seldom stop at a Loves and as the result I have not see this lane.

The gist of the idea is that you pull into a fuel island that offers this service and call the desk. A technician is sent out and can measure the air is 6 tires at a time, can adjust the air to the proper air pressure, and will give you a print out. They also check tire tread depth and visually check tire and wheel assemblies.

The service takes less then ten minutes and should be done by the time you are done filling the truck.

Lanes are open seven days a week from 7am to 11pm. There appears to be more then 70 locations around the United States.

Right now the service is free but in the future they are looking at a LOW $10.00 introductory fee and the trailer is free.

To read more about Loves TirePass here is the link to the web site
Loves Tire Pass

Reactions: Daffyduck528

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
I am not too sure how they can accurately adjust air on a hot tire. I am familiar with the formula used by DOT (rarely) to determine if a trucks cold pressure was sufficient for the axle load.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have delivered some of those machines to the loves, they are built by a little company in Salem OH. Was told that they will be installed in all of the loves. Have not tried the service yet but think it's a good idea.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have used it. They gave me 4 free on my Loves Card to try it out. Afterwards it will be $5.00 for straight trucks, what I've been told. The tire person comes and checks air pressure, tire depth, then it gets recorded and you get a bar code on the side of your truck. The next time you pull in, the scanner reads the bar code and all your info was saved as far as how much pressure you want in what tires. It takes a little longer than 10 minutes.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I, too, am interested in how they measure hot tire pressure.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
If you needed fuel and spent the night at a Loves you could get this done first thing in the morning.... No one says you have to pull into the island with hot tires. $5 is not a bad price. Was it as quick as they said it would be?

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
It took about 10 minutes but it was my first time. When I go back, I should be in the computer with all my info. We shall see if it's quicker.

NightDriver

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sounds an awful lot like something I should already be handling myself - during my PTI, for instance.

And without charge, I might add.

Reactions: bubblehead

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
Sounds an awful lot like something I should already be handling myself - during my PTI, for instance.

And without charge, I might add.
Roger that! I have TPMS on the front tires for pressure and temp with CATEYES and TPMS on the drive and lift axels (you lose accurate temperature with CATEYES) & all equipment needed to adjust air and measure tread depth. The TPMS can also link with C-link showing all the read-outs from the transmitters. I admit I am quite anal about my tires because of safety and cost and I think it is an attitude that any professional driver should have. Not saying this service isn't good, a second set of eyes certainly can't hurt. When I check my tires it all about touching, seeing, measuring and then checking again.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I, too, am interested in how they measure hot tire pressure.
With a hot tire pressure tester, of course.
50pluspproxy.php

Reactions: TeamCaffee

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If I pick up at that place again I will ask them if the machine compensates for hot tires, you would think there would be a way to calculate what the pressure should be when the tire is hot.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There is. The tire pressure increases (or decreases) roughly 2% for every 10 degrees. On 30-35 psi tires that's about 1 psi, and on 80-100 psi tires is about 2 psi, for every 10 degrees F. That's why it's better to check tote pressure in early morning rather than wait until afternoon when the ambient temperature has risen by 20 or more degrees.

I'm just curious if the Tire Pass only measures pressure, or if it also compensates for temperature. Because even if you've been parked they're for 10 hours, it can make a difference if you have them checked at 6AM versus 3PM.

Dallen323

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
I check my own tires. I have seen those at Loves. if i remember they had a cone blocking off that fuel lane. So i guess if your not using the tire checker they dont want you using that lane? we will see how it works out for them i suppose.