Looking to Buy Current Carrier

expresslife

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hi guys,I have been driving as an owner operator the last few years. I am considering the carrier side of the business and would like to start my own company but you guys know how it is to get any loads on sylectus you have to be active for a while.if anyone of you is considering leaving the business as a carrier would you consider selling it? We can work out the details on how much,if you would like to remain on as a partner that would also work. I have experience in the customer service and of things used to be a rep for Verizon wireless and I also have experience in sales as I worked in the car sales business for one of the largest dealership franchises in Central New York.get in touch with me if you'd like, thanks!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Your Profile says you're 22 years old. Setting that aside, are you considering as your business model using Selectus as your primary source for loads?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
He also said he was looking for An established carrier... Maybe with some direct or preferred customers

expresslife

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I consider sylectus a tool that can get my foot in the door ,and from there i can build on with building carrier relations and my primary goal is to grow the carrier company so that I may use it as a tool in becoming a broker , because I would like to get direct contracts with shippers , factories and anyone else looking to ship goods , but I would like to have the tools in place that when a customer calls me direct I can either use my own carrier to ship the cargo or use sylectus to have access to all the other partner carriers out there , because when you have a tool in place that will cover a customers freight 24/7 they are more likely to remain happy and a happy customer will remain my customer. There's much more to this business but this is just my short take on it .

expresslife

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
And yes I agree I am young at 22 , but when your young and hungry to get your life growing you can do many things , but I don't discount age because most guys my age are still living in there parents garage but I've been working since I was 14 being that I'm the oldest of 16 kids in my family and have over 2 yrs in the Owner operator side of things , but as you know you can't just stop growing you have to alway keep improving and moving forward . Mark Zuckerburg was 19 when he started Facebook and look where he is now and I belive he is just 29 . I know we can't all be Mark Zuckerburg but not all 22 yr olds sit around playing xbox all day , I would much rather grow my business than a virtual life.

Last edited:
Reactions: OntarioVanMan

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I always admire ones ambition regardless of age. With that said, quite a bit goes into partnering with another carrier or operating with your own authority. Can be done, but not always the easiest path. If you lack experience (which you likely do) you would be better served to work for a carrier directly. Then see if it is for you. The other option is to meet them in more of a confined setting like the coming up expo in Lexington. That way you can talk to them face to face. Coming out of the gate, you want to keep it simple.

expresslife

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Yes I believe I will attend the Expo , it's in July right? And I've been working as an owner operator under multiple carriers with a 2013 sprinter since March of 2014

tknight

Veteran Expediter
How do you retire from the expediting business with a million dollars?

Simple start with 3 million!

You seem to have done a lot of things for a 22 year old, good or just barely making it time will will tell how experienced you really are.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I consider sylectus a tool that can get my foot in the door ,and from there i can build on with building carrier relations and my primary goal is to grow the carrier company so that I may use it as a tool in becoming a broker , because I would like to get direct contracts with shippers , factories and anyone else looking to ship goods , but I would like to have the tools in place that when a customer calls me direct I can either use my own carrier to ship the cargo or use sylectus to have access to all the other partner carriers out there , because when you have a tool in place that will cover a customers freight 24/7 they are more likely to remain happy and a happy customer will remain my customer. There's much more to this business but this is just my short take on it .

Just because you are on Sylectus, it doesn't mean that other carriers will bid on your loads. It is very hard to get established carriers to bid on your loads at first. You will have to work with the smaller bottom feeder carriers in the beginning. You then run the risk of something happening to your customers load and losing the contract. Also, other carriers will bid so high that you will end up losing money by brokering the load out, and other carriers will try and steal your customers away from you by back-soliciting. It is not a very easy business to get into. I doubt you have the money to even start your own company. But if you have some money, and you own your own van, I can show you how to get into the game. It will just take you longer to build yourself up, but much better than buying an existing carrier.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Just because you are on Sylectus, it doesn't mean that other carriers will bid on your loads. It is very hard to get established carriers to bid on your loads at first. You will have to work with the smaller bottom feeder carriers in the beginning. You then run the risk of something happening to your customers load and losing the contract. Also, other carriers will bid so high that you will end up losing money by brokering the load out, and other carriers will try and steal your customers away from you by back-soliciting. It is not a very easy business to get into. I doubt you have the money to even start your own company. But if you have some money, and you own your own van, I can show you how to get into the game. It will just take you longer to build yourself up, but much better than buying an existing carrier.

Yes, from the fingers of a vanner, that from reading WAS involved with a bottom feeder IF only bottom feeders would bid on their loads. Additionally, if you are loosing money passing a load on......maybe, just maybe.....you are not pricing your services on the proper level, eh? BTW expresslife, where were you when I was wanting to partner up with a young Buck for my Company instead of selling it?

Reactions: pjjjjj